Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

About to pull the trigger on a GC 600 - Please give me your must haves before I finalise the spec!

Even I want to know why not now :)

What is the issue with the eco wave 2 aircon unit?

We have a Cali Ocean and want a 6m van I think we will order a Sven Hedin if we can get one as the two dealers have both sold their allocations!

I know I could get a GC for a good few £k less which does appeal but I am not a fan of that bulge on the roof and I watch Chris Sloanes on youtube who does a lot of fab videos about Scotland and he has the GC600 and totally hates it, he said so much has gone wrong with it so I am a bit wary about considering one.

I like the thought of a really good saving BUT I just couldn't cope with a van going wrong constantly and could I cope with that forehead hmmmm not sure :)

One question for owners we went to look at a new Hymer last Sunday and they had a new GC600 in the showroom and we both sat on the rear bench and it was so hard it was like sitting on slate, are they like that?

Thanks

I watch Chris Sloanes on youtube who does a lot of fab videos about Scotland and he has the GC600 and totally hates it, he said so much has gone wrong with it so I am a bit wary about considering one.
He hates it so much that according to his web site he has driven over 45000 miles in the last 12 months & produced enough content that he could give up the day job.

His first few videos were done for the shock content which got his online following up to massive numbers & its taken off from there.

That first video was 2 years ago & he still has the van, either its not that bad, or everything else he has seen is worse.......

He just posted a video stating that he is getting another van as a replacement - yesterday.

He is over the GC issues that came up during his ownership, and he explained that in the last video.

The sterile interior can be changed with some overlays, other stuff can be modified to work... While you can get many other vans, besides the Sprinter everything else is garbage.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

We have a Cali Ocean and want a 6m van I think we will order a Sven Hedin if we can get one as the two dealers have both sold their allocations!

I know I could get a GC for a good few £k less which does appeal but I am not a fan of that bulge on the roof and I watch Chris Sloanes on youtube who does a lot of fab videos about Scotland and he has the GC600 and totally hates it, he said so much has gone wrong with it so I am a bit wary about considering one.

I like the thought of a really good saving BUT I just couldn't cope with a van going wrong constantly and could I cope with that forehead hmmmm not sure :)

One question for owners we went to look at a new Hymer last Sunday and they had a new GC600 in the showroom and we both sat on the rear bench and it was so hard it was like sitting on slate, are they like that?

Thanks
In regards to the bench seat... You referring to Grand Canyon 600S or Grand California 600 when referring to the car GC600...

Grand California seats are almost vertical and super uncomfortable for any journeys. I am considering modifying the seats with something that reclines, like 2nd row seat from a 7p Multivan... If I end up buying a Grand California.

Great thing about the Grand Canyon is the optional pop top roof that takes up no space and offers 2 more people a very comfortable plance to sleep.

Personally would never consider a new Sven due to the lack of overhead lockers, very basic interior as well.

Another thing here in Germany that is VW based:

Knaus Vansation 640 (Van Ti/Meg etc) which is based on a MAN TGE/Crafter with comes with 140/177ps engines, manual or auto, and even AWD is possible.

The T6.1 based Knaus Vansation 500 I rented over the summer for 3 weeks, lots of very poorly thought out ideas... Such as the sliding/lifting shower which protrudes into the bed and makes sleeping impossible...

He hates it so much that according to his web site he has driven over 45000 miles in the last 12 months & produced enough content that he could give up the day job.

His first few videos were done for the shock content which got his online following up to massive numbers & its taken off from there.

That first video was 2 years ago & he still has the van, either its not that bad, or everything else he has seen is worse.......
Hi Andy he hasn't got a massive following at all it's only 12,000 followers which is tiny and also with that following they don't make much money at all as he did a video on that very subject and he really doesn't make money in fact he nearly gave it up, but he does produce good videos and seems a very honest chap.

He has fixed all the GC problems that he has had but now I think he is doing ok with his superb guide books I just bought the Arran guide and it is superb.

In regards to the bench seat... You referring to Grand Canyon 600S or Grand California 600 when referring to the car GC600...

Grand California seats are almost vertical and super uncomfortable for any journeys. I am considering modifying the seats with something that reclines, like 2nd row seat from a 7p Multivan... If I end up buying a Grand California.

Great thing about the Grand Canyon is the optional pop top roof that takes up no space and offers 2 more people a very comfortable plance to sleep.

Personally would never consider a new Sven due to the lack of overhead lockers, very basic interior as well.

Another thing here in Germany that is VW based:

Knaus Vansation 640 (Van Ti/Meg etc) which is based on a MAN TGE/Crafter with comes with 140/177ps engines, manual or auto, and even AWD is possible.

The T6.1 based Knaus Vansation 500 I rented over the summer for 3 weeks, lots of very poorly thought out ideas... Such as the sliding/lifting shower which protrudes into the bed and makes sleeping impossible...

Hi, the bench seat is the one in the VW GC600 it was awful :) I think that most vans of that size are fairly similar layout inside we did look at a Hymer 2024 Campus last weekend but we felt the interior quality was poor and the blind system for the two front seats and the windscreen were so badly done that I felt they would break if you even looked at them.

I didn't think that the Sven interior was basic and maybe there aren't enough overhead lockers if only I could find the perfect van but it doesn't exist does it :)

I really wanted to like the Hymer but just didn't and the dashboard area was so basic! Our California Ocean is much nicer inside I've not really looked at the Knaus vans.

Hi Andy he hasn't got a massive following at all it's only 12,000 followers which is tiny.
I should have phrased it differently, he gets a lot of views every time he exaggerates the faults on his van. Over half a million views isn't a tiny amount of viewers.

I should have phrased it differently, he gets a lot of views every time he exaggerates the faults on his van. Over half a million views isn't a tiny amount of viewers.
Chris loves a bit of Click Bait.

Hi, the bench seat is the one in the VW GC600 it was awful :) I think that most vans of that size are fairly similar layout inside we did look at a Hymer 2024 Campus last weekend but we felt the interior quality was poor and the blind system for the two front seats and the windscreen were so badly done that I felt they would break if you even looked at them.

I didn't think that the Sven interior was basic and maybe there aren't enough overhead lockers if only I could find the perfect van but it doesn't exist does it :)

I really wanted to like the Hymer but just didn't and the dashboard area was so basic! Our California Ocean is much nicer inside I've not really looked at the Knaus vans.
I find it strange that you found Hymer less quality than Westfalia, basically Hymer is one of the most premium manufacturers out there and Westfalia is about midway pack these days.

I am also in the market for a camper and I am stuck between a few good choices, and have driven a few vehicles and benchmarked a lot of them at various caravan shows here in Germany.

My take is, if you want something that is going to pleasing to *drive* for long periods of time, it's gotta be a VW Crafter or Sprinter. If you don't care about the seating position, horrible gearboxes and NVH then Ducato/Jumpers are super popular due to their low costs and availability.

Not many conversions out yet on Crafters due to availability of the vans being low. Currently the following manufacturers offer something on this chassis.
Adria, Affinity, Knaus, Westfalia.

I find it strange that you found Hymer less quality than Westfalia, basically Hymer is one of the most premium manufacturers out there and Westfalia is about midway pack these days.

I am also in the market for a camper and I am stuck between a few good choices, and have driven a few vehicles and benchmarked a lot of them at various caravan shows here in Germany.

My take is, if you want something that is going to pleasing to *drive* for long periods of time, it's gotta be a VW Crafter or Sprinter. If you don't care about the seating position, horrible gearboxes and NVH then Ducato/Jumpers are super popular due to their low costs and availability.

Not many conversions out yet on Crafters due to availability of the vans being low. Currently the following manufacturers offer something on this chassis.

I think when we went to see the Campus I didn't expect the front window blinds to feel and look so cheap as I nearly pulled it off the door myself when I closed the door from the inside, I liked the van but I felt then dashboard was sparse and we don't need a pop top so that seems a waste of time for us and the Sven has two lovely skylights in the roof. How does the Sprinter auto drive as I didn't drive it? I would imagine it's a good drive, also when I specced the van up a little bit it came out at around £94k which is £3k more than the Sven also the seat material was nice but you could tell over time it would start to fluff up a bit whereas the Sven has in my opinion better seat materials.

Hey all,

Long time lurker and T6 Cali owner here - about to pull the trigger and move to the GC600 - the 0% finance deal at the moment is too much to resist! Have put a deposit down wiht Drive the Deal and will need to finalise the spec in the next few days.

I'd be really grateful for your hints on the spec that I should consider including/excluding from the van. My current plans are:
- Two tone reflex silver/indium grey
- LED Headlights
- Awning
- Overcab Bed
- Removable tow bar (pushes me over 3.5t)
- Solar
- Poo smell extractor thing in the toilet
- Diesel heater rather than gas.

Any other thoughts? All of your feedback really apprecaited. :)
Hi,
We’ve had a GC 600 for 2 years circa 22k miles and have just traded up for a new 680 at Liverpool VW. Can say that your provisional list is virtually every optional extra we chose for the 680 given our experiences camping all around UK and Europe in the 600 last 2 years. We use the van all winter so we added also heated seats, washer nozzles, engine heater and heated windscreen.Loved the 600 just wanted bed running lengthways and more room.
Enjoy your new van!

Thanks
Just a reminder; Chris Sloane was kicked off this forum for his remarks to other members. Nice photography shame about the attitude.

Just a reminder; Chris Sloane was kicked off this forum for his remarks to other members. Nice photography shame about the attitude.
Agree, we watch his YouTube videos about Scotland and also have a couple of his books. He loves to think he’s a cocky so and so, which must appeal to some! Regarding his GC600, like previously said, he’s done a ton of miles and spent a tidy sum pimping it up, not bad for somebody who apparently detests it! Oh and I understand he had very high hopes to attract more YouTube followers in 2023 than he actually achieved!

Hello,

Sorry, I haven't read each post in this thread, but it seems that it narrows down if the Grand California is good or not.

For my opinion there are many different camper vans and motorhomes on the European market. Each of them have pros and cons in design (individual taste), practicality (depends on the camping behaviour / needs) and quality (manufacture) and the amount of money a person / family is willing, or able, to spend.

I put up my hand to admit that I bought in 2021 my GC 600 because at the time there was nothing better available in the Irish market.

I was unlucky because we had all sorts of issues at the beginning, I was lucky because the VW dealer really was very supportive, responsive and fair. Since a good while now the issues are gone (I hope I haven't Jinxed it).

A camper van / motorhome is very expensive and the decision process for a family / couple is dramatic. Taste, experience, money are factors to consider for the buyer. On top of this comes availability and quality of the dealer.

Is the Grand California a good camper? Well, I say it is. But can I compare it with so many others? Are the others so much better? What means better? Even that needs to be clarified. For me it is quality, a camper has to work. Practicality, it has to meet our camper behaviour. Design, we have to like it etc.

I am sure the list is going on. I also admit to myself, that the GC 600 is a hobby. A camper van needs so much more TLC / maintenance compare to a car. The willingness to change or improve the setup is so much higher compare to a car.

For people looking to buy a camper van / motorhome I wish all the best on their journey of decision building.

Regards,
Eberhard

Hello,

Sorry, I haven't read each post in this thread, but it seems that it narrows down if the Grand California is good or not.

For my opinion there are many different camper vans and motorhomes on the European market. Each of them have pros and cons in design (individual taste), practicality (depends on the camping behaviour / needs) and quality (manufacture) and the amount of money a person / family is willing, or able, to spend.

I put up my hand to admit that I bought in 2021 my GC 600 because at the time there was nothing better available in the Irish market.

I was unlucky because we had all sorts of issues at the beginning, I was lucky because the VW dealer really was very supportive, responsive and fair. Since a good while now the issues are gone (I hope I haven't Jinxed it).

A camper van / motorhome is very expensive and the decision process for a family / couple is dramatic. Taste, experience, money are factors to consider for the buyer. On top of this comes availability and quality of the dealer.

Is the Grand California a good camper? Well, I say it is. But can I compare it with so many others? Are the others so much better? What means better? Even that needs to be clarified. For me it is quality, a camper has to work. Practicality, it has to meet our camper behaviour. Design, we have to like it etc.

I am sure the list is going on. I also admit to myself, that the GC 600 is a hobby. A camper van needs so much more TLC / maintenance compare to a car. The willingness to change or improve the setup is so much higher compare to a car.

For people looking to buy a camper van / motorhome I wish all the best on their journey of decision building.

Regards,
Eberhard
Well said Eberhard.

Greetings from Germany.

Eriba which is part of Hymer Group has just released a new Crafter based "Eriba Car 600“.

Cliff notes: has a 680 style roof without the beluga whale top like the 600 Grand California.

6m length, allows for 2m tall person to easily sleep sideways in the rear. Very large kitchen block that is quite usable. Decent storage space as well. 3.5T configuration with 3.88t possible if you need it.

German review which covers a lot more than the first video.

Price similar to a GC600 and only allows for 2 people to sleep.

I will be going to Stuttgart Caravan show this week to check it out.

Hi we’re about to pick our 600 up too definitely have the LEDs , Diesel heater , overhead bed
Thanks everyone - some really useful responses. Made me re-think my decision not to include the A/C unit for sure. Looking forward to taking delivery sometime next year!
Allen ours has turned up at the dealership have got loads of extras including the satellite dish which as soon asi saw it didn’t really like it maybe I will regret it but the salesmen offered it as part of the deal me thinking it was a lot smaller

That first video was 2 years ago & he still has the van, either it’s not that bad, or everything else he has seen is worse.......
I was amazed by Chris Sloanes slating the 600 so much saying they were changing to another make motor home but his still got it to this day !! Early teething problems one thinks

Hi can anyone help, I picked up my new Grand California 680 a few weeks ago just sorting it out ready for a trip to france shortly. There was no 240v charging cable which seems odd? The dealer said they do not come with one. Videos on you tube show they did. Has anyone bought a 2024 van and did it come with a cable? Thanks

Hi can anyone help, I picked up my new Grand California 680 a few weeks ago just sorting it out ready for a trip to france shortly. There was no 240v charging cable which seems odd? The dealer said they do not come with one. Videos on you tube show they did. Has anyone bought a 2024 van and did it come with a cable? Thanks
No they don't come with a cable.

Thanks Andy thought I would check as seemed odd when you get multiple connectors for gas etc.

Back