Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

About to finally pull the trigger...am I mad?

Thanks all for the replies. Two of the dealers are saying 6 months. I have pressed both for a realistic ETA. Haven't specifically asked about allocations but will on Monday before ordering.

Pretty much know who I'm going with. I did contact Guy but he's a bit too far from home in Bristol.

Spec is pretty much finalised. Added the remote for the heater, cruise and the comfort mattress.

Planning to get the ball rolling Monday morning.

Already looking at accessories - got plans for cooking, emergency facilities, window bags, boxes for the boot etc. I know, I'm getting ahead of myself :)

I did have a look at a couple of in stock vans at High Wycombe but they were way above my budget (two tone paint and LEDs). Thought I'd mention it in case anyone else is looking as they're not advertised.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I bought my Beach from Guy back in January and I'm also from Bristol. Caught the train from Parson St to Preston with a couple of change overs and using a split ticket website the total cost including a night in the Premier Inn came to £77.

Order going in tomorrow morning - one last question on spec.

I can't decide whether to add the power latching on side door. Does anyone not have this on their Beach and wish they did? Or have it and wish they didn't?

This is one that isn't about cost at all. Having played with a few vans I wonder if the power latching is actually noiser when camping. For a start without it you can just leave the door open a crack when leaving and re-entering the van.

Alps one more thing to go wrong. Can you still close the door manually if the latching fails?

After 3 years of research I knew there would still be one thing I can't make my mind up about at the last minute!!

Decided to go with Carrs in Exeter. My local dealer still hasn't got back to me with a quote despite chasing . Not sure they want to sell these at all.

I have it on my ocean. You can do all of those things whether manual or power latch. Just close the door gently with out latching. A small push on the outside at the hinge end powers it closed. Mine was a bit hit and miss when first collected but after clean of the contacts and some copper skip don't think it's missed a beat since.
Nice to have not essential, but depend how much it is.

..me..

I'd personally accept it on the Ocean of course but wouldn't pay extra or want the minor issues some have experienced with it. Did not have it on my van but I've tried it on many demos and I still felt I had to do most of the 'Transporter slide and slam'.

I have power latching on my Beach and I don't regret ordering it. It doesn't really do much though! Just pulls in the last inch.

As we mainly use the van as the family bus, I do kind of wish I'd put the money towards getting the full powered sliding door.

Last edited:
Our Ocean has a power latch on the boot too. I personally wouldn't pay extra for either – put the money towards a couple of nights away instead!

Ours is an Ocean and I think the power latch comes as standard. I don't think I'd pay for it if it wasn't. Ours broke at 5mths old and has just been replaced on warranty. They had to practically take the van apart to do it and it was in the garage for 3 days.

Ordered placed with Carrs this afternoon. Very excited.

Nearly changed colour last minute to one of the two tone options (white and green) but thought I'd go with flat white and see how I get on. Can always add some Edition style decals or even get the lower half painted later on.

So now the wait begins....

You can always tweak your order after it has been placed. Off the the top of my head I've forgotten the cut off point though.

Agree can change order.
We changed the colour.

We added DSG but after owning it for a couple of months I'm not I made the right decision.

I ordered on May 22nd and my order just came forward significantly to build week 29 (end July), whether that is down to my spec as a 150 DSG as opposed to a 204, etc I couldnt say. So the dealer anticipated 6 month wait may now be 4...

As the build is now 'scheduled' I was told no changes can be made.

I went from order date to scheduled date in under 4 weeks, so don't delay if you want to make changes!

I ordered on May 22nd and my order just came forward significantly to build week 29 (end July), whether that is down to my spec as a 150 DSG as opposed to a 204, etc I couldnt say. So the dealer anticipated 6 month wait may now be 4...

As the build is now 'scheduled' I was told no changes can be made.

I went from order date to scheduled date in under 4 weeks, so don't delay if you want to make changes!
Thanks for that info. Sounds encouraging. I literally just got an email from VWCS confirming my order has been received and quoting an order number. For some reason this is really exciting! No mention of prov. build date yet...but at least I can see things are moving.

I'd settled on spec anyway so no changes needed.