Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

About to finally pull the trigger...am I mad?

Steve39

Steve39

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
No, I don't think so.

However, I am heading that way after spending the last week with my head buried in options and juggling conversations with about 10 different dealers. If any of them are on here: I apologise if I got your name wrong at any point.

I'm making a bit of a last ditch effort to find something immediately available with the spec I want. Unfortunately it looks like I'm heading for a factory order and a rather long sit down in the waiting room. At least I'll have plenty of time to spend even more money on accessories I guess.

So my near final spec follows at the bottom. I don't think if I've missed anything vital but I do have a few questions to resolve before I order.

1 - Laminate glass package (for Beach) - did anyone ever manage to do a side by side comparison to test the depth of tint in this pack against the standard privacy? I've searched and read other threads, including the spreadsheet provided by VW...but opinions still seemed to differ and couldn't find any pics.

2 - Parking heater - does anyone know if the difference between the option with the remote and without the remote is, well, just the remote? Seems an expensive remote control if it is.

3 - Power latching - does this really make a difference, as in easier and quieter to close?

4 - Dealers - I'm torn between three, all similar discounts, all similar distance from home, all seem really nice. I've checked out the dealer reviews but not much by way of recent comments on Carrs Exeter, South Hereford, and Listers Droitwich. Any thoughts?

So onto spec. In the starting XV (for those following the Lions) - Solid White Paint, DSG, Parking Heater, Comfort Dash, 1 Extra Seat, Comfort Lighting, Black Cacavels, Extra Sliding Window, App Connect/Bigger Screen, F/R Parking Sensors & Camera, MFSW, Exterior Package (for the twin lights), Awning Black, Privacy Glass (or laminate)...oh and a torch for £60 quid because in for a penny and all that.

In the squad - Power Latching, Comfort Mattress, Lights & Vision Pack, Folding Mirrors.

Feels brilliant to be able to write this post after a few years of thinking about buying. Hope I don't turn out to be wrong about the answer to the question in the title...

One big omission I can see and can be costly to retrofit is cruise control.

Also bluetooth if not incl in one of your packages?

Definitely get the remote for convenience if fitting the heater.

Wheel options from VW are very pricey - might be better to buy yourself and sell the stock wheels.

Last edited:
Am I right in saying the remote enables you to warm your Cali up on cold winter mornings without having to step outside your front door ?
I've recently placed an order too and that's the impression I was given.
If that's true it's a no brainer surely.
Nice and toasty van to climb into beats heated seats all day long.

Am I right in saying the remote enables you to warm your Cali up on cold winter mornings without having to step outside your front door ?
You are correct. Works a treat.

You can also set it to timed like your central heating.

Mike

You can also set it to timed like your central heating.

Mike
I never knew that. I suppose there is an argument then that you don't need the remote to turn your heating on from your house in the morning as you can set it the day before.
That is unless you forget, which I will !
Remote all the way for me.

The remote is also a very handy 'icebreaker' for morning chats with other campers who are in tents.

"Cold last night? Yeah it started to cool down in the van in the wee hours, but we were able to pop the heating on with this, without getting out of bed..."

All the time I've spent researching and I didn't realise you could use the remote to warm the van up front the house! Definitely goes on the spec. Especially as I've not opted for heated seats of windscreen.

Max-Felix, thanks for calling out cruise. I didn't even consider it because I've never got on with it on my current car. It's just over £200 so if I add it would o my be for resale - would this be a deal breaker for many buying used???

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Apologies for typos in that last post...stupid fat thumbs. That last bit was meant to say it would only be for resale.

The remote is also a very handy 'icebreaker' for morning chats with other campers who are in tents.

"Cold last night? Yeah it started to cool down in the van in the wee hours, but we were able to pop the heating on with this, without getting out of bed..."
Cruel but has to be done

I personally would not ever be without cruise as its a godsend on Europe motorways in particular. For £200 it's a no brainier IMHO as retrofit is minimum £300 and can be nearly doubled depending on control modules on your spec.

It's not a deal breaker for most l guess come resale (it's crazy that it's not standard given the price of these things and the fact £10k superminis get it as standard). But if I were you I'd give it another chance, I did find the angle of the accelerator in these VWs gave some discomfort on longer journeys and cruise gives you relief from that. But I'm a big cruise fan, driving with the fingertips works well sometimes.

Last edited:
Good point about the seating position, it is very different to my Golf GTD and I've only experienced it on a shortish test drive. Will ponder your advice. Thanks.

I would definitely add the comfort mattress, even if you decide you don't need it, you'll make a tidy-profit selling it on.

I'd take cruise over the comfort dash every day of the week, but it's all horses for courses. Sounds like a great spec to me & a white Beach with Cascavels & a black awning will look mint.

Heater is the only must-have, may as well have the remote too IMO.

I personally would not ever be without cruise as its a godsend on Europe motorways in particular. For £200 it's a no brainier IMHO as retrofit is minimum £300 and can be nearly doubled depending on control modules on your spec.

It's not a deal breaker for most l guess come resale (it's crazy that it's not standard given the price of these things and the fact £10k superminis get it as standard). But if I were you I'd give it another chance, I did find the angle of the accelerator in these VWs gave some discomfort on longer journeys and cruise gives you relief from that. But I'm a big cruise fan, driving with the fingertips works well sometimes.

I was told that cruise was removed, and a few other things, in favour of the three zone climate when changed from the 5 ->6. Apparently the margins are "tight", so when one thing is added others are removed.

..me..

This is the Beach though - cruise was only ever standard on the Beach on the 'Bluemotion' 114 engine variation.

This is the Beach though - cruise was only ever standard on the Beach on the 'Bluemotion' 114 engine variation.
Yes that is what I have and it came with cruise as standard, really good too, makes a difference to miles per gallon that is noticeable, I would not be without it.

Regarding your dealers, have you asked each one what allocation they have for the year and where they are in selling that allocation? The reason I ask is that we had an offer of 7% discount from a long way away but the local dealer would only give us 3% on the basis that they could easily sell their allocation at full list, let alone at a discount. They also made the point that dealers who sell at large discounts sell a lot of vans but that doesn't affect their allocation so all that happens is their delivery dates extend.

I can't vouch that this is all true. What I can say is that we decided to go with the local dealer, we ordered a high spec van in November and had it in February while many on here ordered months before and received delivery months later.

Could be worth an enquiry before deciding which one to go with?

You haven't mentioned engine size, I would suggest the 150 is the most flexible.

Regarding your dealers, have you asked each one what allocation they have for the year and where they are in selling that allocation? The reason I ask is that we had an offer of 7% discount from a long way away but the local dealer would only give us 3% on the basis that they could easily sell their allocation at full list, let alone at a discount. They also made the point that dealers who sell at large discounts sell a lot of vans but that doesn't affect their allocation so all that happens is their delivery dates extend.

I can't vouch that this is all true. What I can say is that we decided to go with the local dealer, we ordered a high spec van in November and had it in February while many on here ordered months before and received delivery months later.

Could be worth an enquiry before deciding which one to go with?
Guy at Preston sells lots, gives a good discount and has a large allocation as the lead times are not as long as others it seems.

Thanks all for the replies. Two of the dealers are saying 6 months. I have pressed both for a realistic ETA. Haven't specifically asked about allocations but will on Monday before ordering.

Pretty much know who I'm going with. I did contact Guy but he's a bit too far from home in Bristol.

Spec is pretty much finalised. Added the remote for the heater, cruise and the comfort mattress.

Planning to get the ball rolling Monday morning.

Already looking at accessories - got plans for cooking, emergency facilities, window bags, boxes for the boot etc. I know, I'm getting ahead of myself :)

I did have a look at a couple of in stock vans at High Wycombe but they were way above my budget (two tone paint and LEDs). Thought I'd mention it in case anyone else is looking as they're not advertised.

Oh and the comfort dash was the one item that I didn't have the final say on...I could live with the utilitarian builders van look. However, the person who will be mostly sat looking at in the passenger seat could not.

Best decision I ever made! It is the love of my life!!! Sad I know, but there it is. The Cali is just so versatile:
Think camping, think van
Think hillwalking, think van
Think holiday, think van
Think picnic, think van,
Think spare room, think van,
Think office space, think van,
I have even used it in a client's car park as a meeting room!!!!

I thought the heating remote was cool to begin with but soon discovered I can reach the heating control from the top bunk. I suppose it is useful when I camp at Glenshee in the winter to get an early start on the slopes. Then I sleep with the roof closed and it's nice to turn on the heating without getting out of the sleeping bag in -10c.

Thanks all for the replies. Two of the dealers are saying 6 months. I have pressed both for a realistic ETA. Haven't specifically asked about allocations but will on Monday before ordering.

Pretty much know who I'm going with. I did contact Guy but he's a bit too far from home in Bristol.

Spec is pretty much finalised. Added the remote for the heater, cruise and the comfort mattress.

Planning to get the ball rolling Monday morning.

Already looking at accessories - got plans for cooking, emergency facilities, window bags, boxes for the boot etc. I know, I'm getting ahead of myself :)

I did have a look at a couple of in stock vans at High Wycombe but they were way above my budget (two tone paint and LEDs). Thought I'd mention it in case anyone else is looking as they're not advertised.

I bought my Beach from Guy back in January and I'm also from Bristol. Caught the train from Parson St to Preston with a couple of change overs and using a split ticket website the total cost including a night in the Premier Inn came to £77.