Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

About to take the plunge

C

CLPG

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Hello everyone, just introducing myself as a new member. I think I’ve just about convinced my other half we should buy an older used Cali over a T5 conversion. We’re test driving one on Saturday, they’re like hen’s teeth up here in Scotland, so we’re going to have to make a decision quickly. I’ve learned so much already from the threads on this group, please tell me if there’s anything we should be looking out for, this is all new to us!

:welcome CPLG

come on in the waters fine !

if you provide a little more detail of The spec of the van you’ll get more targeted advice.

the T5 is a really good van, thing to watch for :

service history
age of all batteries (proof of replacement with correct spec)
wear and tear on usual, tambour doors, pop top canvas.
Roof corrosion / history of remedial works

if you have any specific questions ask away

:welcome CPLG

come on in the waters fine !

if you provide a little more detail of The spec of the van you’ll get more targeted advice.

the T5 is a really good van, thing to watch for :

service history
age of all batteries (proof of replacement with correct spec)
wear and tear on usual, tambour doors, pop top canvas.
Roof corrosion / history of remedial works

if you have any specific questions ask away
Thank you! We’re looking at 2010-2012, sub 100k mileage. I’m aware of an issue 2010-11 with the 180 and oil, and this whole period with roof corrosion, but any tips on what to look out for would be welcome.

At 10 years of age and 100k miles it will be very much a case of everything will need a good thorough inspection.
Usual service history checks. Suspension will be tired.
if possible take a Friend who can give an independent view of the Cali.

Be very careful as lots of scammers out there currently.

Yeah, it’s pretty daunting. We have a Skoda with similar age and mileage and so know a bit about what to look out for- bodywork, suspension etc. Will definitely take a look at the service history and play with everything inside. The concern is being in the territory where you might as well spend more on a newer one than repair an older one more often, but that’s always the way with used cars.

Yeah, it’s pretty daunting. We have a Skoda with similar age and mileage and so know a bit about what to look out for- bodywork, suspension etc. Will definitely take a look at the service history and play with everything inside. The concern is being in the territory where you might as well spend more on a newer one than repair an older one more often, but that’s always the way with used cars.
The T5 was and is a very very good van.
do your normal vehicle checks and do not part with the cash until your happy with the seller, , the back story and what you see in front of you.

at that age / mileage I would expect to see a straight but used van, signs of use but not worn out by any stretch of the imagination.
suspension can be tired at 100k if not already replaced shocks and springs etc, but it’s relatively cheap and easy to renew suspension back to stock set up. (Shocks, springs and rubber mounts will make it feel like new).

presuming manual gearbox box ? DMF: worth asking if it’s been replaced

is the vehicle with a dealer or private sale ?

do your homework and check out previous MOT history which will show advisories, and if the vehicle has had a period of time without an MOT ( non concurrent dates)

Last edited:

good luck, happy reading

Guess what I’m doing tonight! Thanks for the info. Manual, dealer, 140, MOT fine but higher mileage last few years, assume new owner used it regularly.

With all the anti diesel things going on might be worth factoring that in. Euro 4 seems to be the current minimum but 6 needed if going into more cities now., free that is.

Check the V5 carefully

The T5 140 is a very very solid engine.

worth booking an AA inspection (you book it, not the dealer) relative cheap, comprehensive check and report for peace of mind ?

CPLG,

I hope your not offended.

the above is for the benefit of you / others whom may benefit from some of the content.

Guess what I’m doing tonight! Thanks for the info. Manual, dealer, 140, MOT fine but higher mileage last few years, assume new owner used it regularly.
Regular use is better than low use. These vans were made to be used, lack of use can bring its own issues.
100k for a ten year old van should not be a cause for concern if it’s been serviced to VW spec ( not necessarily VW main dealer)

Check the MOT history

look out for gaps in dates, advisories, fails etc, expect to see corresponding receipts for the work to rectify and pass the MOT

Protection for payment via dealer:

credit card - only need to put £101 of the sale on the credit card to offer you lots of protection. (Insist on it as part of the deal)

Possibly use finance for a very small portion off the total value, negotiating a better price due to the kick backs dealers get from finance co‘s. Also you get a bit of protection from the financial ombudsman etc. Pay off the total balance of the finance within the cooling off period ( should be relatively interest free) but still give you come back on the dealer !

Last edited:
With all the anti diesel things going on might be worth factoring that in. Euro 4 seems to be the current minimum but 6 needed if going into more cities now., free that is.
Yeah- irony is we’re losing a diesel second car for this and our main car is electric. Kinda like putting lettuce on a burger..

Your timing may not be as bad as you think. The price of California's seem to go up and up and up. And the T5 seems more trustworthy then the newer version is some respects. Check the van well or have it checked well (better) and take the plunge. negotiate a few 1000's off so you have some room for repairs if they turn out to be needed. Then never look back and enjoy what will be the best choice you've made in a long time. :)

In terms of pricing, it seems pretty much in line with others I’ve seen online with similar age/ mileage but Parker’s/ WBAC is much lower. I get there’s a dealer/ buying at the top of the market premium but is this normal for vans? Does that cause problems with finance? Seems odd. Feels like when we bought a house in 2008

What you will be looking at is in effect a pimped up commercial vehicle which was designed to work hard for many hundreds of thousands of miles. At sub 100k miles it is just about run in and being a California it will almost certainly have had a gentle life to date. What really matters is service history. So check the records carefully. Cam belt and water pump changes should have been done when required as well as other routine maintenance and replacements. So check the paperwork thoroughly.

Also carefully check it's provenance. I'm sure everything will be ok but it's not unknown for there to be the odd one sold by some less than honest types.

As for the vehicle itself, condition is important. These vehicles can be very expensive to fix so it's best to know what you are getting yourself into. Check everything works correctly and make notes of any deficiencies, faults or damage. If you decide to purchase, use the list to negotiate a reduction in price. Being ten years old it will probably have a few issues and only you can decide whether to proceed or not.

Check that the roof warranty repair work was done properly and take the check list with you to ensure everything that should come with the van is present and correct. I believe you will find the list in the resources section.

If you can, take a friend with some mechanical experience or better still a fully qualified mechanic with you.

Good luck. :thumb

Hello everyone, just introducing myself as a new member. I think I’ve just about convinced my other half we should buy an older used Cali over a T5 conversion. We’re test driving one on Saturday, they’re like hen’s teeth up here in Scotland, so we’re going to have to make a decision quickly. I’ve learned so much already from the threads on this group, please tell me if there’s anything we should be looking out for, this is all new to us!
Seeing your in scotland have a look at Jerba campers, employee owned company and plenty of info on website and you tube, they have VW accreditation for their conversions