Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

AC on or off?

Trollhunter

Trollhunter

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Hi,
I've been struggling with the AC on my ´06 T5 a while now. The air it blows on full cold is never really that cold.
Recently had the gas refilled and system cleaned and didn't seem to have any effect.
However, I just happened to drive with the AC off the other day and the air coming out is like ice! Am I just stupid or does the light on the dash light up when it is actually off or could there be a wire crossed somewhere?
Typical on only realized this after a lot of sweaty summer days driving around.
Very happy that it seems to be working though, just confused by the light?

Did a test with the button light off and it was nice and cold, then switched it on and sure enough the temperature went up.

Cheers

Can you show me a picture of your airo display?
Normally there will be a light that needs to be on, on the A/C knob.

6B61AA8D-34C5-4284-900A-B8F92112D7A8.jpegWhen that ECON light is on its just ambient cool, but when off its ice cold

Lol.
That is your problem. ECON is economical = A/C off!
The light of ECON needs to be off to have A/C working.

Lol.
That is your problem. ECON is economical = A/C off!
The light of ECON needs to be off to have A/C working.
:talktothehand Had I read the manual thoroughly maybe I would have had a more comfortable drive this summer :) Thanks for clearing that one up!

I was going to add: RTFM, but I wanted to stay polite.

(Read The F***ing Manual ;))

For my T5.1 they have become smarter. There is an A/C knob with a light. Light on = fridge, light off = Norwegian sauna :thumb

Read the manual. That's my line I'm sure your aware of that 1. Anyway my golf was the same. Econ. When lit up air con was off. As in economy driving.

I love the fact that I just assumed ECON was some kind of foreign spelling for AIRCON, cant believe how long that has taken me to find out!
Maybe in some years I will eventually be one of the ones being able to say RTFM to the newbies... but for now you will have to put up with my silly questions :)

Well awesome result to hear its not broken :D it is a strange design and VW moved away from it for a reason. :)
Most folks would probably assume Econ would be aircon that uses less power to improve fuel use etc.

Having an extra/separate button to turn on, to turn it off the AC is just bad design by VW lol

Can you upgrade an old SE heating panel/dash to the more modern system does anyone know - and if so are we looking at stupid money?

Can you upgrade an old SE heating panel/dash to the more modern system does anyone know - and if so are we looking at stupid money?
To be short: no.
The electronics is way different between the two.
Well, it's VW, you are always looking at stupid money.

As a technical writer at a major auto maker, I would love to say RTFM. As a great fan of user centred design and ”UX”, I have to say this button should get some kind of award for most idiotic design. It is hopelessly hard to figure out, and breaks every UX rule ever devised. Should we really need to read a manual to switch on the AC?

As a technical writer at a major auto maker, I would love to say RTFM. As a great fan of user centred design and ”UX”, I have to say this button should get some kind of award for most idiotic design. It is hopelessly hard to figure out, and breaks every UX rule ever devised. Should we really need to read a manual to switch on the AC?
I can use the buttons on many cars without reading the manual.
i haven't got a clue what RTFM and UX is though. :thumb
or should have said NGAFC.
Not got a clue ;)

Not got a clue ;)
I gave you a hint in post #6.
UX must be User eXperience (correct me if I am wrong).
And are you sure you don't mean DHAFC?

Hi,
I've been struggling with the AC on my ´06 T5 a while now. The air it blows on full cold is never really that cold.
Recently had the gas refilled and system cleaned and didn't seem to have any effect.
However, I just happened to drive with the AC off the other day and the air coming out is like ice! Am I just stupid or does the light on the dash light up when it is actually off or could there be a wire crossed somewhere?
Typical on only realized this after a lot of sweaty summer days driving around.
Very happy that it seems to be working though, just confused by the light?

Did a test with the button light off and it was nice and cold, then switched it on and sure enough the temperature went up.

Cheers
Hi Trollhunter ( love that name)

Read my strap line below

Not got a clue ;)

sorry, these are words from my daytime job, probably not commonly known.
UX= user experience, the practise of designing things based on the end user’s perception, not the engineer’s view of the world.
RTFM = Read The F*cking Manual. In essence, if your users need a manual to use a machine, the UX is by definition not very good!

sorry, these are words from my daytime job, probably not commonly known.
UX= user experience, the practise of designing things based on the end user’s perception, not the engineer’s view of the world.
RTFM = Read The F*cking Manual. In essence, if your users need a manual to use a machine, the UX is by definition not very good!

Ah! A reminder of the good old days of employment. The management tribe, with their own acronyms and language, the technical tribe with the same and then the bullsh*t baffles brains group.

My problem is the user manual I have is only in German, so first i need to learn the language!

Back