Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Acute problem with Leisure Batteries..

From Andrew Bazeley -
The current shows around 0.2 amps with just the radio going, and 3.5 when the fridge kicks in.
The control panel takes 0.2A when on so your radio may not be registering - I think it uses about 1A.

... the other is 11 years old!
It's done well - I've found 'car' batteries usually decline after about 6 years.

On balance, I think I'll take it in and get the whole thing checked over.
Good idea, having two batteries in parallel, with one 11 years and one 3 is not good as the older one may pull the newer one down in use.

Finally, just use them, and keep them above 11V, give them a mains charge once a month for 24 hours... :thumb

Well definitely something wrong. Not on Hookup. IPad Charging. Fridge On.
Compressor kicked in and my Voltmeter with a 12v alarm sounded.
Current draw of 3.8 amps and voltage dropped down to 11.6v. Switched off fridge and voltage climbed to 12.6v.
Have driven 300 miles today. Solar panel shows smiley face so the Batteries maybe accepting the charge but failing under load. So looks like a Battery change at 5 years.
I do use them a lot throughout the year but I think something acute has failed, probably one or more of the cells.

Anyway, if anyone has any recommendations ideally higher rated Batteries would be nice.
I think it’s something acute, I have the same 2014 as you with similar mileage and use.
When you replaced the 75A fuse where did it go in ie in which fuse area of the vehicle

I think it’s something acute, I have the same 2014 as you with similar mileage and use.
When you replaced the 75A fuse where did it go in ie in which fuse area of the vehicle
It fits on top of the +tve Red Pole of the Rear Leisure Battery underneath the wires. You will find it is 50 amps now upgraded to 75 amps.
27535BA4-E8DB-48A8-B4F0-8E3ADCA5CBED.jpeg

On the leisure battery in rear locker on + side of battery

Thanks for that. I'm wondering if maybe the percentage indicator is at fault; it stayed on around 90% for several hours, while the voltage went right down to just under 9! Either way, do you agree that after 2.5 days with only a fairly high-temperature-setting fridge and the occasional radio, a voltage of less than 9v doesn't look right, and I maybe need the batteries tested/replaced? I think they're still under guarantee. Thanks for your help.
The indicator is reliant on an earth shunt to give the readout, another thing, some vans had an earth shunt problem which caused inaccuracies and issues with some devices not working.

Well finally got round to replacing the 2 Leisure Batteries with Varta LA80 replacements.
All went well apart from one of the Pole Clamp bolts on the Rear Battery snapping. It was so tight it dragged the square end around. Used a thin screw driver to stop that end turning and then the bolt snapped .
One other point, swapped the gas vent tubes to the new batteries As well as the vent plugs. New batteries had 2 vents but no plugs.
Anyway, after resetting the Control Panel everything working well.

The old batteries had been on charge overnight. When removed the rear battery showed 12.7v and the front 12.65v.
After 6 hrs the rear showed 12.67v and the front 12.59v.
I’m away for a few days so will check them on my return.

Back