Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Dead Leisure Batteries?

Sounds okay, I disconnected everything when I changed my batteries and wrapped each cable just to be sure

I've finally got around to replacing my batteries (with the Xplorer 100ah from Alpha)

The rear one is quite a squeeze but is easy enough if you don't rush.

The batteries are pretty much identically sized (note that the vent needed to be popped and and put in the other end)

For those that haven't seen it, the inline fuse (known as a 'cube fuse') is part of the positive battery terminal on the rear battery:

I used the "tip the seat forward" method at the front and its fine for swapping the battery!

Plugged in now and taking a decent charge... will let it charge overnight, probably take it for a run and then turn everything on and see how they cope!

(note: posting this a few hours later, and the charge has gone down to 2amps so it seems to be working..)
Hi californiaman.

I need to change the batteries and I'm thinking about the Xplorer ones because the price, but I would like to know if you are happy with those.
There is a very big difference cost between Xplorer and the original (varta) it makes me have doubts about the quality.
Have you got any problem with them?
Thanks!

Hi californiaman.

I need to change the batteries and I'm thinking about the Xplorer ones because the price, but I would like to know if you are happy with those.
There is a very big difference cost between Xplorer and the original (varta) it makes me have doubts about the quality.
Thanks!

My replacements from Alpha are still going strong over a year later - Fridge on almost constantly, and includes periods of vehicle standing around as well as being used without hook-up for several days at a time. I've happily used Alpha for other batteries too, though I suspect Xplorers supplied are probably made in the same factory as Vartas and are quite possibly even the same product. For the price difference I thought it was worth the risk, and so far so good.

You couild try discoonecting the mongrel Lion battery and see if the original charges up OK before splashing out for two new ones. If the Lion is knackered it could well be draing charge from the OEM battery as they are wired in parallel. Obviously make sure that you insulate the the positive terminal on the Lion battery if you take it off.
I would agree with this. You should never mix battery types as this is bad for the health of said batteries... Disconnect the Lion and see, then replace if necessary...

@Eye2iart, thank you so much for your answer.
Anyone's has this batteries installed and would like to share his experience?
Thanks a lot in advance.

Hi californiaman....
Thanks!

Hello. Apologies for the delay in responding. I've actually sold the van recently - but in the time I had them, they were flawless. I spoke to the new owner recently who has mainly camped 'off grid' and hasn't had a problem. They're ok!

Hi californiaman.

Thanks!
Just worth noting that you would need to check this battery once a year and top up with water as necessary, I understand the Vartas are maintenance free.
Not an issue so long as you understand that this is a required check..

Just worth noting that you would need to check this battery once a year and top up with water as necessary, I understand the Vartas are maintenance free.
Not an issue so long as you understand that this is a required check..
Xplorer batteries need maintenance????

Xplorer batteries need maintenance????
03c27531a99c5657aa09736985e82a3b.jpg

Maintenance free: yes

03c27531a99c5657aa09736985e82a3b.jpg

Maintenance free: yes
Fantastic.. Even better.. Great info on the site I saw them on said they required maintenance/topping up... I will look at these as a possible replacement for mine..

Just a little tip to share regarding getting the rubber cover back over the under seat battery,
Rub some talcum powder over the inside, Makes it a piece of cake to slip over:D

Back