Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Adblue not resetting after top up

S

Sealey

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi all, I have an issue with my adblue not resetting. Unfortunately I didn't follow the exact procedure as I have topped up our family car (vw group) and the system always reset itself to show the new level. The Cali was showing 1200 miles worth of adblue remaining so I topped it up with approx 6litres. I then started the engine without leaving the ignition on for 30-60 secs. The top up didn't register and I have tried leaving the ignition on since but it failed to register the top up and is now showing as 1100 miles remaining.

I am aware of issues if you overfill but I'm confident that isn't the reason here.
Has anyone come across this issue before and is it a trip to the dealer?

The adblue is also showing the same amount for top up as a min and max of 1.25 gals- which seems strange.

The van is only 11 months old so still under warranty.

did you fill the minimum amount shown on the display?
Not 100% sure as I'm used to just topping up my other car without worrying about resetting or min/max amounts. So if I hadn't topped up with the minimum would it not register the top up?

Correct, your only option now is fill it up and see if leaving the ignition on registers the new level. Alternatively, just drive and see if the range stay the same until it uses up the AdBlue you added. Some users have reported it catching up after a bit of driving.

Mine shows min and max top up to be the same at 1.25 ltrs and hasn't changed in 350 miles. Had Cali from new and not topped up so thinking something is odd.

Hi all, I have an issue with my adblue not resetting. Unfortunately I didn't follow the exact procedure as I have topped up our family car (vw group) and the system always reset itself to show the new level. The Cali was showing 1200 miles worth of adblue remaining so I topped it up with approx 6litres. I then started the engine without leaving the ignition on for 30-60 secs. The top up didn't register and I have tried leaving the ignition on since but it failed to register the top up and is now showing as 1100 miles remaining.

I am aware of issues if you overfill but I'm confident that isn't the reason here.
Has anyone come across this issue before and is it a trip to the dealer?

The adblue is also showing the same amount for top up as a min and max of 1.25 gals- which seems strange.

The van is only 11 months old so still under warranty.
Take the van for a run and it will reset .... info given from Vw tech

Hmm.....I'll reserve judgement. What is a "Run"? 50 miles? 150 miles?

Take the van for a run and it will reset .... info given from Vw tech
It has been driven pretty much daily since top up including a 120mile round trip and has still not reset. The mileage left has dropped but min/max is still 1.25 gals for both. I will try topping up and resetting.

Correct, your only option now is fill it up and see if leaving the ignition on registers the new level. Alternatively, just drive and see if the range stay the same until it uses up the AdBlue you added. Some users have reported it catching up after a bit of driving.
Just to close this one out. The adblue level never managed to reset, either by an ignition turn on or driving, however the range was going down as normal. I finally got round to topping up with min amount shown and more importantly remembered to reset with ignition turn on and range has changed to 5500 miles.

I’m having the same issue
What is ‘ignition turn on’? Turn key half way and wait 20 seconds?
Hasntvrest mine. I’m in 25 miles now on the ‘range’
Guess I’ll find out in a few minutes……..

Yes, ignition turn on means once you have topped the Adblue up you turn the ignition on without starting the engine until adblue range resets- Approx 20 secs. If you don’t do this stage after topping up then the range will not increase.

? Handbook.

Yes, ignition turn on means once you have topped the Adblue up you turn the ignition on without starting the engine until adblue range resets- Approx 20 secs. If you don’t do this stage after topping up then the range will not increase.
Bit of an oddity as it goes down whilst driving but needs that procedure to go up.

Bit of an oddity as it goes down whilst driving but needs that procedure to go up.
Particularly when I had mine reset by a dealer, following a refill of 10+ litres, which registered only a partial increase, (compared to a full tank range)
the dealer rest the sensor several times without success, on the last time the system increased the range by a reasonable amount, they suggested the system may recalibrate during the drive home!
that is exactly what it did, range increased to max, so clearly the system will live monitor the ad blue level sometimes

30 miles later……
Red warning stated I’d be unable to restart unless Adblue was topped up - bearing in mind I’d already added 5-6litres
Stopped at a service station in the A30 and checked they sold Adblue before I switched engine off!!! Sure enough it wouldn’t restart. Bought another 10 l barrel and dropped another 5-6 litres in
Turned key half way and sat for 30+ seconds then was able to restart the engine, the warning had gone and off I went
Nothing new to most of you guys but I thought I’d finish the saga in case others were looking fr a point of reference

the manual says my T6 ocean should take 13 litres and warns not to overfill. Apparently this stuff doesn’t do your paint any good so careful how much you put in. Needs to be enough (over 5 litres in my case) to turn the warning off.

so all’s good in the end

just in case there’s any Adblue bottle manufacturers looking in……. Why can’t someone design a hose that screws to the container properly??!!

Hi

M having a similar saga. In France. Topped up at Chartres but didn’t follow the ignition rule (who would think it would be this complicated - just added 5 litres). After checking with the forum and recognising not following procedure, will try again. At Calais so had plenty of mileage ti reset itself. I think a note to self is to nit do any VW procedures without checking with this site!

Back