Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Additional Quick Space - To avoid Selling

really appreciate all the suggestions there are lots of possibilities for me to explore

Cinch always has 10% off on their website for new customers- but the hub usually sells out over the summer so they take pre-orders for the following year after they are gone. I can totally endorse the recommendations above, we took for 2 weeks on a family holiday around France and it made a massive difference to have this versatile space. It was very easy to put up/down and withstood a couple of epic storms no problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cinch always has 10% off on their website for new customers- but the hub usually sells out over the summer so they take pre-orders for the following year after they are gone. I can totally endorse the recommendations above, we took for 2 weeks on a family holiday around France and it made a massive difference to have this versatile space. It was very easy to put up/down and withstood a couple of epic storms no problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatal

Sounds like just what I am looking for is it waterproof and do you really need the storm poles - do you have the hub connector?

Sounds like just what I am looking for is it waterproof and do you really need the storm poles - do you have the hub connector?

We didn’t have the storm poles and it was fine. I got the connector but ended up selling it as never used - too much faff. What you will need though is a groundsheet, which I believe is now included in the price.

In situ!
05180baf0c5b20126b133e5c099fe89d.jpg

We find a few things help us:

1 - We have a cheap pop up 2 man tent from GO. Throw out on site and put everything bulky in there. For us that is all the baby paraphernalia but other bits and bobs.
2 - Take less. Less is more in a Cali. If you don't use it regularly, don't take it. We have this well set and I have a garage full of stuff we threw out.
3 - Use the outside space relevant to weather. So that is your wind out awning but also under the van and keeping things outside that can stay out.
4 - Know where everything is in the cupboards, but also see item 2.
5 - For more than 2 days we have a drive away awning. Practice putting up and down in the garden. We can get up in 15, down in 30 or less.
6 - Finally, practice. We honed our "craft" on the NC500 - 10 days in a van focuses the mind and gives you the practice needed.

If it's not working through sometimes you just have to admit defeat. We'll upgrade to something bigger in a few years.

Last edited:
We only take this for longer trips - I’m pretty minimalist in my approach to packing! I would always check the pitch allows a tent but never had any problems, you can put right next to door or under the wind out if needed. I actually got the connector for this reason but sold it as CMC changed their rules to allow separate tents and I’ve not yet come across any issues using it separately. I love that it folds flat and takes up v little space in the van.

Might be just me but I always like to open the door and see the outdoors - even if it’s just the next pitch!

After all the advice on here I’ve decided to go for cinch however I’ve emailed cinch to ask a few questions and nothing has anybody else had this issue or is there any other way to contact them part from the email? It’s been a week now?

Tow bar mounted Mft back box would give you a lot more storage space on the current van. You can still open the boot and use the bike rack as it tilts.

Awning / shelters, although good, all take up space and time.

Although sounds like it might be time for a van with a different layout, that allows you to walk through and avoid the bedtime shuffle.
Yes, we have the mft back box and the additional storage space it gives is brilliant, and I use it to store wetsuits and wet / dirty gear if we need to move before I can get things dry. It obviously adds some length, but under the bike rack it makes no difference. Haven’t used it for a few years now as we’ve not needed the extra space so had pondered selling it.

I have previously written on here about having to sell my beloved Cali but we have decided to give it one more go , we are in our first season with the cali and I absolutely love it I don't mind having to do things a bit differently but my other half finds the small space difficult at times and with the door open it can be a bit cold there is also having to move constantly so I can get stuff out of cupboards, we are in the process of relocating and decluttering any duplicate or unused items

The question I would like to ask if has anyone got any suggestion how additional space can be added relatively quickly we have tried an airbeam awning but that probably bigger than we need and does take a bit time to up up and take down I am looking for something that we can pop up quick and can extend the space.

TIA
I use a large toilet tent as cupboard to move anything big out of the van in waterproof storage boxes. Most sites allow toilet tents for free. It's a big one so pushing the boundaries a bit but never been a problem. You get pop up ones but the leak a bit usually. We ended up with this one which is really fast to out up and take down no poles to make, nothing to blow up and only 8 pegs

View attachment 124861

We used to use an air beam but found it bulky & cumbersome so replaced it with the Cinch Hub plus the optional Campervan Connector which we find it perfect for our requirements. Packing away isn't as bad as some may say once you get the knack of it.
I have the original (I assume) Quechua tent that this is a copy of. Does anyone know if the campervan attachment for this would work with the Quechua version?

I use a large toilet tent as cupboard to move anything big out of the van in waterproof storage boxes. Most sites allow toilet tents for free. It's a big one so pushing the boundaries a bit but never been a problem. You get pop up ones but the leak a bit usually. We ended up with this one which is really fast to out up and take down no poles to make, nothing to blow up and only 8 pegs

We’ve got this Steve. To be honest, it’s the best accessory we’ve bought for our Cali.

IMG_8603.jpeg

We use a toilet tent with a camping shelving unit to decant things from the van and store others things , ie laundry bag etc.
This is the one (Colapz En-suite shower and toilet tent) we have which is a good size and is so easy to put up and pack down. Also sits on the back shelf.

Another vote for the Cinch hub, but they are not an easy company to buy from. They seem to do one production run per year and when they’re gone that’s it for another year. They seem to have stock at the moment.

Another vote for the Cinch hub, but they are not an easy company to buy from. They seem to do one production run per year and when they’re gone that’s it for another year. They seem to have stock at the moment.
is it best to just order from Cinch? the only question i was waiting for confirmation that the cinch hub is waterproof or not unless you can answer that

I have the original (I assume) Quechua tent that this is a copy of. Does anyone know if the campervan attachment for this would work with the Quechua version?

I couldn’t say as not familiar with the Quechua. Mine attaches to the hub (tent) with toggles & loops so maybe something could be improvised.

is it best to just order from Cinch? the only question i was waiting for confirmation that the cinch hub is waterproof or not unless you can answer that
I don’t want to take responsibility for Cinch products but ours has seen some heavy rain and strong winds. It has performed as well as any tent/awning we have had and better than most, we haven’t experienced any leaks at all. I’m pretty sure they would say it’s waterproof but I am surprised they haven’t confirmed that themselves.

Back