Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Additional USB charging points - what have people done?

D

da_murphster

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi all, I have a 'new to me' T6 Beach.

Kids need some usb C sockets they can reach when sat down watching crap.

I was thinking of something in the pockets on the pass side and something on the pillar on the drivers side (as the one there is inaccessible as the bench is too far fwd).

On the drivers side I was considering one of the buss-box shoe-boxx to bring the usb point fwd but th3e price is a bit fruity!

Anyone point me at anything they have done?

My old T5 had a fusebox from the leisure battery I could put in additional feeds from - is there something similar on the beaches?

USB-c car charger from amazon.
there are all kinds - I’ve got an Anker one that does laptops too.

We're relatively new T6 Ocean owners having previously had a T5 conversion for a while. No USB-c sockets in the T6 (and not many USBs at all). We used a combination of cigarette lighter adapter / charger / splitters and larger portable power banks on the old van which worked well (another vote for Anker). About £30 (less on prime day) will buy a power bank that should last multiple devices all day & can then be topped up on hook-up. Newer versions support charging by different usb variants. This also avoids wires trailing all over the van from the socket in the cab. Once parked & hooked up a multi-plug with USBs works well. If we don't anticipate hook up being an option (eg 3 day festivals) a larger power bank (Anker or Jackery) for about £300 buys more capacity, with option for solar top up for maybe another £200.

I was thinking of something in the pockets on the pass side and something on the pillar on the drivers side (as the one there is inaccessible as the bench is too far fwd).

On the drivers side I was considering one of the buss-box shoe-boxx to bring the usb point fwd but th3e price is a bit fruity!

My old T5 had a fusebox from the leisure battery I could put in additional feeds from - is there something similar on the beaches?
Ive got one.. When it's a bit lighter I will take a pic and show you how I've done it.

USB-c car charger from amazon.
there are all kinds - I’ve got an Anker one that does laptops too.
Yeah I do have these but charging/checking them them becomes yet another 'task' for dad to keep on top of.

The T6 really is pretty poor for USB points - would have been really simple for VW to put in a couple around the cabin?!

Here's my set up.. Made a slight naff but effective power set up and it connects to the 12V supply in the side next to the seat.. Switchable and removable when not needed.
Got the Shoe Rack from https://www.gruenthal-mobilcamping.de/ and can't fault them.. Excellent service.
I like that - would certainly solve one kid charging without routing cables and cutting trim. Pity the shoe boxes are so £££!!!

For the other side I will certainly be looking at getting a usb socket into the pockets.

Yeah I do have these but charging/checking them them becomes yet another 'task' for dad to keep on top of.

The T6 really is pretty poor for USB points - would have been really simple for VW to put in a couple around the cabin?!
Yep. They seem to be several years behind the curve, though I gather the 6.1 addresses this.

iDIGMALL 5 Multi Ports Car Charger, 31W USB Car Charger Adapter with 5FT Cord for Smartphone Tablets, Multi Cigarette Lighter Type C USB A Car Charger & LED Voltmeter Designed for Front/Back Seat https://amzn.eu/d/6RXydrV

Have used similar to this in the past. No need to over complicate. If used beside the sliding door it can be plugged in before sliding the seat and excess cable coiled in the cup holder. If used on the other side it makes a useful charge monitor for the auxiliary battery because you can see the voltage read out. It also has sockets at the point of plug so keeping multiple charging options.

Not sure it would cope well with all plugs being used by heavy draw items at once but a couple of devices (like phones) while driving should be no problem.

These are great bits of kit for the 12v charger sockets with USB-C output and a carbon monoxide sensor too!
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07B2HHTPJ/?tag=eliteelect-21

Made this from some old bits of ply I had lying around. Was going to be a first iteration and then made a little neater, but it’s been in use for a few years now. Like others, just some cheap amazon electrical bits with a fly lead to the completely inaccessible aux socket (if the bench seat is not slid right back)

60DD9AA7-B752-4A9F-BC13-F9EF7E12F356.jpeg

90A18D79-23E2-436B-B0E8-502C8ECC65E8.jpeg

iDIGMALL 5 Multi Ports Car Charger, 31W USB Car Charger Adapter with 5FT Cord for Smartphone Tablets, Multi Cigarette Lighter Type C USB A Car Charger & LED Voltmeter Designed for Front/Back Seat https://amzn.eu/d/6RXydrV

Have used similar to this in the past. No need to over complicate. If used beside the sliding door it can be plugged in before sliding the seat and excess cable coiled in the cup holder. If used on the other side it makes a useful charge monitor for the auxiliary battery because you can see the voltage read out. It also has sockets at the point of plug so keeping multiple charging options.

Not sure it would cope well with all plugs being used by heavy draw items at once but a couple of devices (like phones) while driving should be no problem.
Yes we have one of these, the clip works nicely on the grab strap by the slider to keep cable out of the way and sockets accessible.

You lot obviously dont share my OCD about having cables strewn about the place!

I like the shoe cupboard with sockets idea and ideally would get the bus-boxx one but I ain't paying £150 for it.

I'm going to look again at putting a cable behind the trim spurred off the stuff by the pillar and an additional socket nearer the bench in the cubby hole on the pass side.

It’s worth bearing in mind that unless the USB socket is switched there will be a drain on the battery even when the USB is not being used.
That is of course true but with it being from the leisure battery and the minimal amount it would drain I'm not too concerned. If I can easily add a on/off rocker switch I'll consider it.

Random google article measuring the standby draw of a usb car socket:

"the USB charger’s standby current is 14.2 mA. I would have guessed microamps, so I was way off. It doesn’t help that the charger has an LED that’s continuously illuminated whenever it’s powered.

Is a constant 14.2 mA draw enough to worry about discharging the car’s battery? Probably not. From a few quick searches, I learned that a typical car battery has a capacity of around 40 ampere hours. At 14.2 mA, it would take 2817 hours or 117 days to completely discharge the car’s battery. "

Last edited:
That is of course true but with it being from the leisure battery and the minimal amount it would drain I'm not too concerned. If I can easily add a on/off rocker switch I'll consider it.

Random google article measuring the standby draw of a usb car socket:

"the USB charger’s standby current is 14.2 mA. I would have guessed microamps, so I was way off. It doesn’t help that the charger has an LED that’s continuously illuminated whenever it’s powered.

Is a constant 14.2 mA draw enough to worry about discharging the car’s battery? Probably not. From a few quick searches, I learned that a typical car battery has a capacity of around 40 ampere hours. At 14.2 mA, it would take 2817 hours or 117 days to completely discharge the car’s battery. "
Agree, but something to be aware of, especially if you leave phones etc plugged in.

Back