Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Advice needed on portable solar panels

H

hoyos

Vehicle
N/A
I have a T5.1 2011 and I have decided to follow the portable solar panel route to charge my leisure battery whilst off grid camping. My question is what size solar panels do I need to charge my 12V 110ah wet battery whilst the fridge and water pump are in use. My fridge is a Waeco CRX50 which I believe uses 60watts per hour. Ideally the battery needs to be topped up in about 5 to 6 hours a day. Advice very much appreciated:)

I’m not going to do the math, someone cleverer than me will come along and do that, but my best guess is 200W. We have a 100W panel and it keeps things topped up nice between trips but it does not run or charge anything in “real time” - the units take power out quicker than a panel puts it in.

All is sun dependant. Last week, happy days, today, no chance.

Last edited:
Thanks dspuk, I was thinking the same getting 200w panel but needed confirmation or a way to calculate what I need.

You will also need a charger / controller in your set up. Is your van a Beach? As above - one bad day of solar and your battery will struggle possibly?

60watts per hour
1.4 kWh per day. This is unrealistic (an Ocean has about 1kWh of usable battery). You need the correct numbers to do calculations.

Back