Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Advice on bike racks please

M

muttley

Guest User
I am going to need a bike rack for the Cali, as I really don't want to risk the kids bikes sliding around in the inside and wrecking the kitchen unit (or the floor).

I am tempted by the official VW rack, despite the rather high cost, but I would be very interested to hear any pros & cons from owners of this, and alternative racks. I don't have a towbar, so I am ruling out any towbar-mounted racks.

Does the VW rack have to be screwed on, or does it just clip around the tailgate? If it is a dealer-fit job, then obviously I can't really shop around.

Thanks,
Simon

I have the bike rack and although initially expensive it is a great buy for your Cali.

It hooks over the top of the door over two pieces of thick clear plastic which is a pad between the rack and the door frame. I can't remember if there are any screws at the top and as it is presently pouring down outside at the moment so i am not checking! The two plastic parts of the bike rack that fit on the lip of the rear door above the light clusters has two screws that tighten the frame to the door. The screws are angled so that they cannot be unscrewed without the door being open. There is a handle supplied with the bike frame that fits the screw heads. I have had the bike rack since new two years ago and has not caused me any problems other than being a bit awkward to clean.

I see you are a vip member, so give our sponsors SMG a ring and speak with Alex and Steve they will no doubt be able to give a great discount, and even better is the next day delivery that comes with any order you place.

I never looked at other options provided by Thule and others, mainly as the rack is designed solely for a California or Caravelle/T5 variations.

I suspect that even if you decided to sell after purchase, you would get a great second hand value for it.

muttley said:
I am going to need a bike rack for the Cali, as I really don't want to risk the kids bikes sliding around in the inside and wrecking the kitchen unit (or the floor).

I am tempted by the official VW rack, despite the rather high cost, but I would be very interested to hear any pros & cons from owners of this, and alternative racks. I don't have a towbar, so I am ruling out any towbar-mounted racks.

Does the VW rack have to be screwed on, or does it just clip around the tailgate? If it is a dealer-fit job, then obviously I can't really shop around.

Thanks,
Simon
Hi Simon

Definately not a dealer fit rack, hooks on, haven't got an opinion on other suitable racks, very high quality at a high price, certainly get what you pay for.

Travelled extensively in France and Spain last year and had no problems at all.

Haven't attempted four mountain bikes(three easily fit), have had four road bikes on without any problems.

Regards

Kevin

+1 for the VW rack. I did however bin the original straps as I found them fiddly to use. I use some velcro straps from some computer packaging instead. They double up to keep the rack closed and to strap the wheels in place.

I've found similar straps are available on t'web by searching - "Axial Velcro Straps"

If no tow bar then you are limited to tailgate hangers of course ... Fiamma are a good brand and cheaper ,but they have lower bars look worse and not sure they carry 4 ....
The vw one fits easy made well and looks like it should be there ,but u do pay a slight premium ...it's worth it :)

VW Rack - it just is the best, and you should be able to pay a bit less than list, seem to have 75% residuals if you then want to sell on.

As you are a vip have a word with Alex at smg 10% discount As as above no other bike rack
Comes close :thumb

That makes the decision pretty easy. Thanks, I will get one on order.

Hi Simon, there is another Simon on this forum who told me whilst we were both at the SMG Cowfold meet last summer, that because of the Fiamma bike rack he had his Cali almost failed the M O T test because the bike rack obscured the rear brake light (I think it was the high level one.) He had to take it off and refit it again after the test ! A point for you to consider.
I have the VW original fitted to my van. I'm 5' 91/2" and I use a foldable plastic stool to stand on to fix the bikes on and to each other.

Bike rack is excellent.

The only issue I have had with mine is the 3rd arm - bike holder which has a key on it, its now 9 months old and the key does not turn easily to unlock the arm which secures the bikes.

Its also started to rust a on each of he arms. But we use them every weekend.

Ordered one from SMG yesterday, and it arrived today. Great service, and it looks like a very sturdy bit of kit.

The only issue I have had with mine is the 3rd arm - bike holder which has a key on it, its now 9 months old and the key does not turn easily to unlock the arm which secures the bikes.

Found the key on mine has always been stiff, not good on an item of this price. I spent some time rubbing the key on a wire brush to 'wear' the sharp edges down a bit, pumped the lock full of oil & left it over night. Next day a spent some time working the key in the lock. This all seems to have improved it.

Andy said:

Found the key on mine has always been stiff, not good on an item of this price. I spent some time rubbing the key on a wire brush to 'wear' the sharp edges down a bit, pumped the lock full of oil & left it over night. Next day a spent some time working the key in the lock. This all seems to have improved it.

Great suggestion will give it a go...