Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Tow Bar Bike Rack advise

I'd expect handlebar/seat clearance issue with the VW rack when using a towbar rack.

Yes that’s my concern TBH - but ideally would like to retain the current one, might need to have a compromise! Kinda like the look of the van with the rack also

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've seen two T6s in the last month with a 'twin rack' setup. 2 adult bikes on the tow bar and 2-3 kids bikes on the tailgate rack. Unfortunately no photos, but it can be done!

Yes that’s my concern TBH - but ideally would like to retain the current one, might need to have a compromise! Kinda like the look of the van with the rack also

Might be possible, normal bikes on an Atera with an Audi A4 removable hitch (gives more ground clearance, 2" approx). "E" bike rack should be similar. Can't see both racks being utilised simultaneously.
Give you an idea of standard bike positions.20180510_153220[1].jpg

Thank you so much for the feedback and picture, just fitted my removable Tow hitch ( spent last three years in the case in back of the Ocean) I knew we’d use it one day ! Bikes selected, but not available until late January so that’s Xmas presents sorted, now to locate a Bike rack....

John do you think you could open the tailgate with the 3 bike option?
Tim,

Arriving today, I have a Thule Velospace rikerack, as well as a Thule Backspace XT (storage box).

I'm planning to do a review vid for folks, so it may help. Our plan was to always carry bikes and/or bags on the VW one, and a bag on the Thule towbar one. Dimensions looks like it'll work, but i'll do a trial fitment to see and report back.

Tim,

Arriving today, I have a Thule Velospace rikerack, as well as a Thule Backspace XT (storage box).

I'm planning to do a review vid for folks, so it may help. Our plan was to always carry bikes and/or bags on the VW one, and a bag on the Thule towbar one. Dimensions looks like it'll work, but i'll do a trial fitment to see and report back.
Be interested to know if all that weight at the back has an adverse impact on handling, especially if 2WD. It must reduce grip of the drive wheels. Interested observer.

Be interested to know if all that weight at the back has an adverse impact on handling, especially if 2WD. It must reduce grip of the drive wheels. Interested observer.

Will let you know for sure.

We're 2WD, but with a plan for the 5th seat in our Ocean, we'll have a good weight distribution up front, and it's easily within the nose weight limits. Certainly not an ideal setup in the cold icy months, but the plan will be to make use of it during some contintental trips.

John do you think you could open the tailgate with the 3 bike option?
We have one and the removable third rack. Can confirm that it makes no difference to opening the tail gate. The outside bike of our three just sits off the floor when the rack is fully tilted.