Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Tow Bar Bike Rack advise

D

Dan Kennedy

Vinnie The Van
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Hi Folks, I got a 2018 Cali Ocean last year and have been wrecking my head looking at various bike rack options. I would only use bikes ( 2 max) occasionally so don't really want to go for a tailgate rack because of the height issue and fouling the vision from the rear window. Although I can see the pros as well being able to use the rack for additional storage, drying etc. So I am thinking of getting a detachable tow bar fitted ( spurious without the expensive re-wire to vehicle brain ). I like the idea of the foldable tow bar racks that I can easily put on and off when needed and can fold into a bag for easy storage when not in use. Has anyone experience of the Thule XT 2 Easyfold rack. I thought I saw on a thread that the clearance with this rack when tilted is not enough to allow the tailgate to open ?
Also have been looking at the Pro-User Diamant SG2 so same question with this. Significant price difference so am wondering if the SG2 is not such good quality.
Also, is there any particular tow bar that is most suitable for these bike racks ( i.e give a bit more clearance from the tailgate) ?
Thanks.
Dan

Hi Dan, like you I did a load of research prior to taking the leap and opting for the Diamant which was delivery 10 days ago.

One reason for our choice being we have 2 e-bikes which with the batteries off weight 21kg each. The Pro-User copes with up to 60 kg so 42kg of ebikes well inside its capability. What also swung it was seeing Martins at the Dorest Club meet last year he generously demo’ed that It cleared the swan neck removable tow bar with ease and folded into a tight packages for storeage. BTW the Tow bar fitted was sourced as a option direct from VW when we specced our Cali.

TBH not sure all the tip and fold ones are able to claim the same clearance for a T6/5 Cali tailgate/tow bar combo so i opted for one that I knew would work. I’ve also picked up from forums that the Atera Genio Pro (folding 2 bikes) is being usedT6/5 /Cali owners but have no first hand experience on it to know if this is the case. This rack can be sourced in the UK but not through the Forum shop as far as I can see.

The VIP discount form the forum shop us worthwhile also as this is a pricey buy.

For transparency - I hit a snag with my Pro-User which both the Forum Shop and Diamant are in the process of sorting. This is neither parties fault and appears to be a issues caused in transport. All things being equal i’ll Be sorted by the weekend.

Hi Dan, Ive just purchased an Atera Genio Pro foldable (2 bike) rack. The tilt is sufficient for the tailgate to open without obstruction.

IMG_0495.jpegIMG_0502.jpegIMG_0499.jpeg

I’ve got a Thule Euroclassic G6. On a fixed towbar.
It tilts allowing access to rear hatch but does require a peddle to be removed.

Forgot to mention that I have the factory fitted tow bar.

I have one of these
Very good all round
You need the 90 deg folding version

Thanks for all your responses which is very helpful. I'll check out the recommendations this eve. Just one other question about the toe bar. Are all toe bars the same clearance from the bumper or can you get longer ones ? I have to go detachable as my dealer tells me that a permanent swan neck will mean I will need to permanently mute the parking sensors.

Thanks for all your responses which is very helpful. I'll check out the recommendations this eve. Just one other question about the toe bar. Are all toe bars the same clearance from the bumper or can you get longer ones ? I have to go detachable as my dealer tells me that a permanent swan neck will mean I will need to permanently mute the parking sensors.
If you’ve got a factory fitted/wired towbar it shouldn’t affect the sensors. My towbar was dealer fitted to factory wiring and the sensors are fine. They just automatically switch off if a trailer is plugged in to the towbar socket.
I would have thought an after market towbar would just need a VW dealer to reconfigure the software, but I could be wrong!

Last edited:
An oddity came to light a couple of years ago in that Westfalia UK (formerly Witter) towball is slightly further away from the bumper than the VW factory supplied Westfalia German product. parts aren't interchangeable between the two.

I picked up an Audi A4 detachable ball which is slightly higher and further out than the original but has exactly the same tailgate clearance as the original. Gives more rack ground clearance for ramps and when tilting the rack.

A permanently fixed towbar could be fitted with a spacer block to move the ball away.

I've gone ahead and ordered the Pro User Diamant SG2. I will sort out the tow bar once I get it and post how it all works out. Thanks for all your help

I've gone ahead and ordered the Pro User Diamant SG2. I will sort out the tow bar once I get it and post how it all works out. Thanks for all your help
Hi Dan, hope you don’t mind me asking, but how did you get on with the Pro-user Diamant SG2? Did you go for the Plus version? Has it been a success?

Interested in how you got on with the e-bike rack attached to the removable toe bar. Another question can I also continue to use the rear door fitted 4 bike rack ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Dan, hope you don’t mind me asking, but how did you get on with the Pro-user Diamant SG2? Did you go for the Plus version? Has it been a success?
Hi I'm sorry for late response. I have only logged in now for first time in ages. Yes I got the Pro-User Diamant SG2 but had to return it because my local VW dealer mis-lead me with respect to fitting toe bar. Having said it was no problem and booked me in, I went ahead and ordered the bike rack. However when I brought the van into the VW dealer, the said that they could not in fact fit it without doing a complete re-wire, remove kitchen etc. to wire the toe bar to the dash computer. They quoted € 3,500. I returned the bike rack and bought the VW tailgate rack which I am very happy with. Takes 4 bikes or two e-bikes and one regular bike.

Hi Dan, Ive just purchased an Atera Genio Pro foldable (2 bike) rack. The tilt is sufficient for the tailgate to open without obstruction.

View attachment 48478View attachment 48482View attachment 48480
Now that's what I call a forward tilt excellent !

My solution for ebikes is a towbox v3 on the rear tow bar and place 2 x folding ebikes inside (after removing the seat post batteries into the main cabin for security) . Out of sight out of mind. Towbox can be used for other gear of course and has the other benefit for people that it can be wheeled to and from the van like a large case. Simples!

Hi I'm sorry for late response. I have only logged in now for first time in ages. Yes I got the Pro-User Diamant SG2 but had to return it because my local VW dealer mis-lead me with respect to fitting toe bar. Having said it was no problem and booked me in, I went ahead and ordered the bike rack. However when I brought the van into the VW dealer, the said that they could not in fact fit it without doing a complete re-wire, remove kitchen etc. to wire the toe bar to the dash computer. They quoted € 3,500. I returned the bike rack and bought the VW tailgate rack which I am very happy with. Takes 4 bikes or two e-bikes and one regular bike.
We have the Pro User bike rack fitted to a PH Jones tow bar on our T6. Works great. Tow bar was about £400 fitted and coded, no need to remove any interior fittings as the cabling goes underneath the van. PH Jones told me this tow bar is the same as used by VW when they fit a van that is not pre-wired. It is branded Westfailia.

We have the Pro User bike rack fitted to a PH Jones tow bar on our T6. Works great. Tow bar was about £400 fitted and coded, no need to remove any interior fittings as the cabling goes underneath the van. PH Jones told me this tow bar is the same as used by VW when they fit a van that is not pre-wired. It is branded Westfailia.
That might be PF Jones

Now that's what I call a forward tilt excellent !

My solution for ebikes is a towbox v3 on the rear tow bar and place 2 x folding ebikes inside (after removing the seat post batteries into the main cabin for security) . Out of sight out of mind. Towbox can be used for other gear of course and has the other benefit for people that it can be wheeled to and from the van like a large case. Simples!

Interested in the tow box solution with bikes inside, can you share any pics ?

Interested in the tow box solution with bikes inside, can you share any pics ?

Not bought yet still trying to source bikes that suit box and my budget

OK - thought you already had. I’ll keep researching:) ideally would like to use two bike tow hitch rack, plus keep the current rear 4 bike door rack in place for when we have different need

Hello...
Just for information.
My Caravelle (T5) has a factory fitted Westfalia Detachable Tow Bar.
I was looking for a Tow Bar Bike Rack, for three Bikes, with the option of fitting a Storage / Transportation Box, for when the rack was not being used for the Bikes.
I wasn't concerned about opening the tailgate, because I have two sliders and no rear bench / bed seat, just two Captain Seats, so access to the rear of the Van was not restricted.
I therefore went for the Westfalia BC60 Tow Bar Bike Rack along with the their Transportation Box.
I understand, if you require access through the tailgate, while the Tow Bar Bike Rack is fitted, Altera Tow Bar Bike Rack, is the way to go.
Hope this is helpful?
Regards.

The Pro User Diamant Plus bike rack tips up so one can fully open the tailgate. PF Jones fitted Westfailer tow bar.

Thanks for suggestions, in an ideal world I’d like to keep the existing VW fitted 4 bike rack ( attached to rear door ) adding the tow hitch two bike rack so I can choose which I use depending upon how many / bike types I’m transporting

Thanks for suggestions, in an ideal world I’d like to keep the existing VW fitted 4 bike rack ( attached to rear door ) adding the tow hitch two bike rack so I can choose which I use depending upon how many / bike types I’m transporting

The Atera Genio Pro gets very good reviews but is out of stock everywhere until later this year.

Just checking it out thanks - will measure distance I have from tow hitch to bottom of current rack to see if it fits

Just checking it out thanks - will measure distance I have from tow hitch to bottom of current rack to see if it fits

Are you planning on using both racks loaded with bikes?

Are you planning on using both racks loaded with bikes?

Not at the same time, when transporting two heavy e- bikes would use the tow hitch one, when taking grandchildren off we’d use the top door mounted one as these bikes are all lighter