SusiBus

2-pedal power Peppa Pig trike
Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
Advice please!

Looking to buy a T4 camper for our son. Questions:

1. Are T4 Westfalias and T4 Californias the same thing?

Is it worth restricting search to just T4 Westfalia/California? (presumably all LHD?)

Is price premium for Cali too much over a converted van eg Autosleeper?

Any important dates when worthwhile improvements were brought in?

Does anyone know of any good low mileage ones for sale?

Many thanks.

Westfalia made a few models out of the T4, California, California Exclusive and California Coach (I think). So basically they are the same thing for the T4 but there is some variation. I think the build quality of the Westfalia is worth the extra money.

It's worth keeping an eye on: http://campervans4u.com/stocklist.html they aren't cheap but they are usually good examples. Doesn't seem to be many on there at the moment.

Hi SusiBus.

That's quite a question and to answer in full could take some time - the Westfalia range based on the T4 had a huge variety of specs and rooftypes to choose from.

Briefly though - yes, all T4 Westfalia Californias are LHD. Conversions by Autosleeper are an acquired taste as they are British and tend to come with plush velour finishes a'la caravans. Bilbo's did T4 conversions and are well respected, and a little less 'caravan' in their finish. I wouldn't let mileage be a dictating factor in deciding which to buy, a well maintained and cared for high mileage vehicle will carry on for many years with little issue. I've read of some in the high 300,000 mile range that are still going strong - peripheral items - clutches, alternators etc are always going to wear out but can be easily replaced.

The best starting point I would suggest is deciding what budget you were planning to spend. The T4 Westfalia California was around for quite a time so you can pick up models from the early 1990's upto 2003. From there we can offer a better idea of age and specs you may be able to get for your money. After that the hunt is on as they are still a fairly rare beast in the UK. This is a very useful website - http://www.westfaliat4.info/ for some good information on the Westfalia range.

JOXd4E and mrcheesbrough,

Thank you both for your replies. Very helpful but a couple of further questions:

Is the TDi engine a must have over the straight diesel?
Are the 2.4s non turbo and the 2.5s turbo?
I have heard mention of T4s having galvanised bodies. Are they all gavanised or just after a certain date?

Thanks

From my experience don't rush into anything or get swept up in the excitement.

Not sure if its true of the T4 but when buying our old T25, a magnet is invaluable to check for excess filler, which can often be hidden under a nice new respray for a bad van made to look nice.

I'd avoid a non Westy conversion. As is the case with the T5 Cali, genuine ones are fab and worth having, small volume conversions are just expensive junk.

Do your research and find a good one and you'll be set for life. The age of the T4 dictates there will be issues. They are the bargain of a lifetime. A good T4 Westy can be had for around £10k.

TDi's are not essential but obvs have more power. 2.4s are non turbo. Avoid home conversions.

Re galvo of bodies, no idea. Having said that, I've a scratch on my tailgate that looks galvo and refuses to rust.

I have a good one, mechanically perfect. Make me a sensible offer.

Pod.

Hi Sidepod

The duties of a Dad never end! We are trying to offer guidance to our son. We are obviously pro Calis. The only other one in the frame is an Autosleeper but living with their trim choices is very difficult!!! Agree with you about van conversions. I think he is coming over to the genuine VW article but living with LHD might be a problem for his wife. Where are you and any more details about your T4 would be appreciated. Thanks.

Can you keep it to a pm please sidepod.

We had some similar questions before deciding on a 'genuine' California. This was after looking at various conversions. What finally swung it was when we got inside a Cali - so much better- design and quality. We have a 2.5 and it goes really well. Be warned that they all rust. Budget serious money to fix any rot around the windscreen. LHD isn't a problem once you get used to it. Happy hunting

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Hi Sidepod

The duties of a Dad never end! We are trying to offer guidance to our son. We are obviously pro Calis. The only other one in the frame is an Autosleeper but living with their trim choices is very difficult!!! Agree with you about van conversions. I think he is coming over to the genuine VW article but living with LHD might be a problem for his wife. Where are you and any more details about your T4 would be appreciated. Thanks.

My folks used to hire a small fleet of T4 Autosleeper Troopers. Given the choice they would probably of preferred to hire Westfalias to people due to the styling and build quality, but as they were hiring to clients who often had no experience driving a vehicle of this size for short periods they went with the RHD Autosleeper as a way of maintaining familiarity.

As for the question of LHD, my missus gets on fine with ours. As do I (it's not just the ladies who get the fear). It's rare that you're in a position to give it the beans and overtake something, but you simply change your driving style accordingly. As you know the seating position offers a fine vantage point over most other vehicles so you can make reasonable judgements about the oncoming traffic long before you might in a car. Honestly though the proof is in the driving. You either love it or hate it, but accept that for the first few drives you'll be trying to wind the window down instead of selecting the next gear. This doesn't mean you wouldn't be able to live with it.

Engine-wise the 102BHP 2.5 TDI is probably the most desirable of the power units. There is the super-rare 150BHP 2.5TDI. I've only ever seen two of those. The 2.4 can be turbo'd but as @sidepod says how well that has been done could be questionable. I think also that some earlier T4 Westy's came with a 1.9 non-turbo. I could be wrong, the Autosleepers did. This is very much a 'just about get you there' engine, more akin to a 1600 T2 camper.

Galvanising. That's a grey area. Some people say yes, others no. I think it's more likely the body was dipped in a zinc primer before undercoats and paint were applied. This helped fend off any rot for a prolonged period but time and salt condensation from inhabitants often works its way into any weaker areas. These are most often around the wheelarches and panel seams. Experience has taught me you can fend it off for decent amounts of time and it's well worth getting some further rust prevention added to the cavities and underside of the vehicle but inevitably some light corrosion will rear its head at sometime.

All exciting stuff. Let us know how the hunt goes.

The position of the gear lever is much better in the LHDs. It's not central to the van, was built for LHD and is closer to the left. It's quite a stretch from the RIGHT hand seat, even with the various "knob extensions" (I know ;)) available.
I suppose you could say (before anyone else does) that Westy drivers don't need their knobs extending.....

Last edited:
LHD. I just don't notice it any more. Much better for trans-euro trips.

I actually prefer LHD as I can stick it as close to the ditch as possible. At least then, post shunt I'll be able to say I did all I could :bananadance

I don't think there are any structural rust issues, just cosmetic around the arches and sills.

Mine lives indoors when not in use so hopefully it'll live on.
P.

Thanks again for the info everyone, as many have previosly said, what a wonderful source of information the forum is!

One further request. Is there a T4 California owner in the Chichester area prepared to meet up for a walk round tour, please PM me if you're up for it.

Cheers,
SusiBus

JOXd4E and mrcheesbrough,

Thank you both for your replies. Very helpful but a couple of further questions:

Is the TDi engine a must have over the straight diesel?
Are the 2.4s non turbo and the 2.5s turbo?
I have heard mention of T4s having galvanised bodies. Are they all gavanised or just after a certain date?

Thanks

I would definitely go for the 2.5 TDI over the non-turbo 2.4, which are a bit gutless. The 2.5 is also mote tuneable should you wish to.

Good starting point, including (asking!) price checking, is eBay. Search on
"VW T4 Westfalia"