Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Advice pls: prospective Cali been in long term storage

M

MattMTB

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi - I could really use some advice as a prospective first time Cali owner! I’m looking at a 2014 T5 SE TDI with about 50k miles. However it has only done a couple of thousand miles since 2018, with quite long periods of no use. It has been well preserved, kept under cover in a garage. Are there typical problems with this kind of low use? What should I be looking out for as I take a look? Many thanks for your thoughts and any help and pointers you can provide. Apologies if I’ve missed another set of threads on this, pls do point me there if so. Best wishes to all!

A few things yes. Tyres like to be moved and can weaken if stood forever in one spot. Batteries. Have they been charged up regularly? Big expense if not. Brakes may have a little surface rust but that's generally nothing to worry about but have a look through the wheels at the discs. Was the fuel tank kept full, moisture can collect in the tank if empty. Nothing a fuel filter wouldn't solve. Servicing is time dependent these days rather than mileage so ask about cam belt change. Cant think much else would matter. Sounds like a good buy to me

A few things yes. Tyres like to be moved and can weaken if stood forever in one spot. Batteries. Have they been charged up regularly? Big expense if not. Brakes may have a little surface rust but that's generally nothing to worry about but have a look through the wheels at the discs. Was the fuel tank kept full, moisture can collect in the tank if empty. Nothing a fuel filter wouldn't solve. Servicing is time dependent these days rather than mileage so ask about cam belt change. Cant think much else would matter. Sounds like a good buy to me
Thanks flying banana - sounds like good advice and a useful checklist. I have read that the Cali diesel engines liking being used regularly, is there any aspect to that which could present hidden underlying problems? Thanks again, really appreciate your advice.

A few threads on here about rodent damage to wiring. May be worth inspecting the loom.
Consider investing in an plug in diagnosis dongle - Carista or OBDeleven, or borrowing one, to check for errors.

Hi - I could really use some advice as a prospective first time Cali owner! I’m looking at a 2014 T5 SE TDI with about 50k miles. However it has only done a couple of thousand miles since 2018, with quite long periods of no use. It has been well preserved, kept under cover in a garage. Are there typical problems with this kind of low use? What should I be looking out for as I take a look? Many thanks for your thoughts and any help and pointers you can provide. Apologies if I’ve missed another set of threads on this, pls do point me there if so. Best wishes to all!
As has been mentioned above, also check for mice etc damage,
I would include in your pricing calculations, new tyres about £600, Cambelt and water pump £540, should be done at 80k miles or 4/5 yrs, also a full service, oil & filters about £200, and DSG and Haldex oil change if it has DSG gearbox and/or 4Motion approx £300. Aircon, brake fluid and steering fluid changes.
Some of these items are milage/time serviced but if it has been stored for an extensive period I would do them to clear the slate so to speak.

Last edited:
Check service history. Brake fluid is a 2 yearly, 4 years max, change as moisture is absorbed and can cause corrosion to internal brake parts, expensive if ABS Unit goes faulty.

Otherwise no vehicle likes to be left standing over prolonged periods and mostly minor faults may come to light over a few months.

Always worth having a full check, RAC - AA type.

When was it last serviced? Should at least every 2 years.

Cross check the mileage + any advisory’s using the government MOT checker:

Might need new batteries if they haven’t been charged whilst in storage. Check the roof opens / closes as it should.
All the other items cambelt+water pump, tyres, oil etc are usual service items so can be factored into purchase price (unless it’s already a good price, as it’s a sellers market at the moment so should sell quickly)

Last edited:
As said, it’s likely to need new leisure and starter batteries, which aren’t cheap. New fluids and filters throughout. Check tyres for flat spots and cracking and discs / pads for damage. Hopefully the handbrake hasn’t been left on. Rodents could have done all sorts of damage if unlucky. Best thing you could do is ask to take it for a damn good run and shake down to make sure everything works as it should. Fresh fuel with some Millers in it wouldn‘t do any harm either.

My 2010 SE 140 has done around 50k in the ten years I’ve had it. Also been in the garage when not being used, usually upto a month or six weeks when other bits of life got in the way.

Other than regular services, every 2 years, I’ve had one full set of tyres, two cambelts, a new starter battery and an EGR valve. I currently need a new water level sensor for the water tank but that’s easy to do. I’m still on my original leisure batteries

The list of usual stuff for the “clean slate” is spot on. Maybe £2000 and you’ll be all sorted. EGR valve on the 180 is a lot more labour.

One other thing to ask the owner about, and to check is the common roof paint issue. It was a pain but I believe most have been sorted out by VW now. If it’s been done they will have the body shop paperwork.

As has been mentioned above, also check for mice etc damage,
I would include in your pricing calculations, new tyres about £600, Cambelt and water pump £540, should be done at 80k miles or 4/5 yrs, also a full service, oil & filters about £200, and DSG and Haldex oil change if it has DSG gearbox and/or 4Motion approx £300. Aircon, brake fluid and steering fluid changes.
Some of these items are milage/time serviced but if it has been stored for an extensive period I would do them to clear the slate so to speak.
great advice, and really useful estimates, many thanks

Check service history. Brake fluid is a 2 yearly, 4 years max, change as moisture is absorbed and can cause corrosion to internal brake parts, expensive if ABS Unit goes faulty.

Otherwise no vehicle likes to be left standing over prolonged periods and mostly minor faults may come to light over a few months.

Always worth having a full check, RAC - AA type.
V helpful, many thanks. I’m organising an AA engineer visit, sounds like a good idea.

When was it last serviced? Should at least every 2 years.

Cross check the mileage + any advisory’s using the government MOT checker:

Might need new batteries if they haven’t been charged whilst in storage. Check the roof opens / closes as it should.
All the other items cambelt+water pump, tyres, oil etc are usual service items so can be factored into purchase price (unless it’s already a good price, as it’s a sellers market at the moment so should sell quickly)
Hi Ch1pbutty, thanks for this, really good advice. It was last serviced in 2017, but has only done 9000 miles since then. Previous to that it looks like it’s been VW serviced every 20k miles. Have done the various MOT Gov.uk check and AAcarcheck reports and all looks good and adds up. Does this make sense to you? Thanks so much for your advice.

As said, it’s likely to need new leisure and starter batteries, which aren’t cheap. New fluids and filters throughout. Check tyres for flat spots and cracking and discs / pads for damage. Hopefully the handbrake hasn’t been left on. Rodents could have done all sorts of damage if unlucky. Best thing you could do is ask to take it for a damn good run and shake down to make sure everything works as it should. Fresh fuel with some Millers in it wouldn‘t do any harm either.
Hi Elmo3, great advice, many thanks for that. Yes - a good drive makes a lot of sense and I’m going to do the AA vehicle inspection as well for peace of mind. Thanks for your advice.

My 2010 SE 140 has done around 50k in the ten years I’ve had it. Also been in the garage when not being used, usually upto a month or six weeks when other bits of life got in the way.

Other than regular services, every 2 years, I’ve had one full set of tyres, two cambelts, a new starter battery and an EGR valve. I currently need a new water level sensor for the water tank but that’s easy to do. I’m still on my original leisure batteries

The list of usual stuff for the “clean slate” is spot on. Maybe £2000 and you’ll be all sorted. EGR valve on the 180 is a lot more labour.

One other thing to ask the owner about, and to check is the common roof paint issue. It was a pain but I believe most have been sorted out by VW now. If it’s been done they will have the body shop paperwork.
Thanks Ifm, really appreciate that advice, very useful. Cheers

Back