Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Advice regarding viewing a 2010 Cali this weekend

D

Danny Tyler

Hi

I am viewing a California this weekend, it is a 180 SE on a late 2010 plate.

After reading on this forum I am now very worried that this vehicle could have potental engine problems as it is close to 50k miles.

Is there anything I can check for when looking at the van?

Also the owner says there is no corrosion so I need to check that also

Thanks in advance

Dan

If you are a VIP member you are able to download a "handover checklist" in the downloadsection with great tips.
So if you are planning on buying a Cali the best money spend is to join the club , pay the membership giving acces to downloads and discounts to the forum partners.
The money spend on membership pays itself back easy.

I will do this soon, my concern is the engine problems reported in other posts, the vehicle I am looking at is not cheap and I do not want to end up with a £8000 bill in a few months/years time.

Hello Danny welcome

Service history
Outstanding Credit check
Canvas/tent for damage
all bits do they work

I would be not know how to check for oil issue
are there any 2010 cali's without roof corrosion?

Last edited:
Hi

I am viewing a California this weekend, it is a 180 SE on a late 2010 plate.

After reading on this forum I am now very worried that this vehicle could have potental engine problems as it is close to 50k miles.

Is there anything I can check for when looking at the van?

Also the owner says there is no corrosion so I need to check that also

Thanks in advance

Dan

There is really nothing you can do or check. I guess you could ask the present owner to loan it to you, then drive about 500 miles and see if it's using oil. Doubt the present owner would agree.

Even if the above was clear and ok, the problem may still manifest itself shortly after.

Sorry, but that's the situation.

Rember you mostley reed posts by people who have an issue and try to find solutions on forums.
Remember thousend other Cali's are probally doing fine with no problems whatever.
Try to get info from the seller , ask him to show the bills on the history of the mantenance so you can line up when he has been seviced compared to the sevicebook.

I don't think there are any checks you can make regarding the oil issue. As above, if it's been looked after will be obvious. If has been serviced, should be recorded etc. you could get an independent inspection by the RAC too.

Rember you mostley reed posts by people who have an issue and try to find solutions on forums.
Remember thousend other Cali's are probally doing fine with no problems whatever.
Try to get info from the seller , ask him to show the bills on the history of the mantenance so you can line up when he has been seviced compared to the sevicebook.

Service history means nothing re this problem. Even if a van with the issue was serviced the garage would NOT pick up on it.

Mine had a full VW service history, but ended up with the issue and a new engine.

As Hotel rightly says, most vans so not end up with the problem, that's why it's like Russian Roulette

Thank you for all your replies, having slept on it we have decided to pull out, I think the risk factor is just way too high especially after reading all the trouble @BerndRos had. I think if we did go ahead we would not have any confidence in the vehicle and would feel like we are sitting on a time bomb.

We are going to our dealer today and may look at ordering a new one with some finance

Could be a hard time for anyone selling a 2010/11 Cali in the coming years!

I previously had a 2009 'original' T5 - rather than a 2010-on face lifted T5.1 - for four years and was on another forum very regularly and knew nothing of the engine troubles on the newer vans until I came here more recently when looking to move from a conversion to a factory camper.

As above, and as raised on another thread yesterday, it's easy to get spooked by the relatively smaller number of people posting with a problem looking for help/support, versus the relatively larger number of people happily driving the wheels off their vans without a care in the world - I find it amazing just how many T5s in every derivative that you see on the road every time you go out, it's important to keep perspective.

Having said that, a California is a big expense & you need to be 100% confident in it which is why I've bought most of my recent vehicles as manufacturer Approved Used so you've at least got some comeback, however limited.

Sliding windows should be checked for leaks, some earlier models have issues with clogged drip holes I believer.
Everything else as above.
Check all exterior handles for signs of corrosion. Check tent, the operation and condition of roof. The control panel with heating and fridge functions. Operation of all seats, beds and window blinds.
Basically a tooth comb

One of the reasons i was confident enough to spend £40+k on a van was 1: it was a VW and 2: the basic transporter has evolved over a long time, and i was confident that the millions of users around Europe and demanding van fleet operators would ensure that the reliability and quality was top notch. Its a bit like the Golf which has evolved into something great and iconic. But all that goes out of the window when you install a highly tuned high output twin turbo diesel engine on such a limited scale - how many other VW vans are pimped up to 200+ BHP like they do in the Cali - stick with the stock stuff and ride on the tide I say.

Although you can never predict any wear problems 100% you can be informed when buying a diesel.

Check the oil filler, if it has lots of oil spots and marks around it then its probably being topped up a lot.
Look for excessive smoke on a cold start (if its already warm come back when its cold).
Some light grey/black smoke under hard acceleration is normal on a diesel. Blue smoke is bad. Shouldn't really be any visible smoke at idle either.
Make sure the engine runs at a steady temp (diesels warm up slow though so will need a good drive)
Check fluid for any contaminants, check dip stick for any too. Any white marks or films in the water is bad.

So we saw our local dealer today and told us delivery will be Jan/Feb next year so back to the drawing board as I'm not sure I can wait that long. I think if I buy now though I could end up paying around 10% more than I should be paying.

So what about an ex demo....that is what I got,
30 miles on the clock and 20% less than new, and still 2 3/4 years warranty.
Like you I just couldn't wait.....and I am so glad I didn't
My T 6 would have come through about now, and I have already had 6 great holidays, and hours of fun fiddling about with it
Look on the VW site......don't forget to negotiate, they put silly prices on, some won't budge, others will a lot....something to do with sales figures I think. I noticed the same van moves around the country
And I wouldn't exclude a T5 if the price is right

Even if it was a 1% risk I would walk away, you will always have it in the back of your mind especially on a long journey.

Mine was a demo with 300 miles, got a massive discount and it was a higher spec too (they tend to put the nice looking addons on to appeal to customers). Full warranty and service package. Very happy.

Back