Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Advise on trip to Italy next year (2023)

mikeelawson

mikeelawson

BOOMEL
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Our Son is getting married in Italy (bank of Mum and Dad is closing after this one) next year and we want to take our time to travel down there with our Cali Ocean. Ideally if someone has done something similar and can share their knowledge / experience that would be much appreciated.

Itinerary:
  1. From Berkshire
  2. To Florence (50k South)
  3. No more than 300 miles per day. I calculate a single trip is about 1100 miles
  4. 2 adults plus dog
  5. 1 week holiday in Italian Lakes on way down
  6. Set off mid May
  7. Return early June
  8. Scenic out, fast back
  9. A mixture of nice campsites and accommodation on route
We are doing a a lot of research ourselves, however I would be grateful for some thoughts on:
  1. Routes and options including things to avoid e.g Mont Blanc tunnel at weekends
  2. General tips e.g. blipper for paying tolls in France
  3. Packing list / tips (extras to consider given trip). Should I take snow chains to abide by laws? Portable air conditioning?
  4. Special considerations re dog (other normal regs etc)
  5. Recommendations re campsites and accommodation

Your assistance is much appreciated.

Mike

Thoughts:

Go for longer if you can

Get a Mango toll tag as it does Italy as well as France

Use searchforsites and park4night apps for places to stay

Have a great trip

Last edited:
Our Son is getting married in Italy (bank of Mum and Dad is closing after this one) next year and we want to take our time to travel down there with our Cali Ocean. Ideally if someone has done something similar and can share their knowledge / experience that would be much appreciated.

Itinerary:
  1. From Berkshire
  3. No more than 300 miles per day. I calculate a single trip is about 1100 miles
  4. 2 adults plus dog
  6. Set off mid May
  7. Return early June
  8. Scenic out, fast back
We are doing a a lot of research ourselves, however I would be grateful for some thoughts on:
  1. Routes and options including things to avoid e.g Mont Blanc tunnel at weekends
  3. Packing list / tips (extras to consider given trip). Should I take snow chains to abide by laws? Portable air conditioning?

Mike
Great trip.
1. Routes might be dictated by weather - even in May. We often put a time on travel rather than miles as it depends on terrain in certain parts (depending on the route chosen). Mont Blanc tunnel can get very busy!
2. Get a tag. It costs a little bit more but makes the tolls so much easier.
3. If snow chains are law take them. The weather can be extremely changeable in May/June but can still be a bit chilly up mountains and around the lakes.
4. No idea.
5. I like staying in campsites (ACSI), but many won’t be open at that that time so again lots of research once your route has been decided. We stayed at a hotel on lake Garda and they stored our Cali for a couple of nights in their garage - always worth asking.

300 miles a day would kill me! You will feel like you’re doing it for a job, a relentless road trip, a ground hog day of a holiday.

Berkshire to Mont Blanc is a 13 hour drive including eurotunnel. Its DoAble, we do it 4/5 times a year. Have your first two night stop over in Chamonix or Cormayeur (Italy is cheaper, prettier, nicer, friendlier)

I haven’t driven to Florence but suspect no more than one over night stop would do it.

Alternatively going via Strasbourg and Switzerland is viable. You will need too but s as vignette for Switzerland but that is cheaper than mont Blanc túnnel. The route through Switzerland is very nice, view of the Eiger and it stops you straight into Lake Maggiore at Locarno

Last edited:
Can recommend Camping Bergamini on the south shore of Lake Garda - absolutely beautiful, great facilities but also peaceful and you can walk to nearby restaurants. Your trip sounds wonderful!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought snow chains were only compulsory between 1 November and 31 March on Alpine roads?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any recommendations on routes to take down / return. 1: Belgium /Luxembourg - too many borders. 2: Strasbourg and across Switzerland 3: Montblanc tunnel 4: France Monoco - too hot

I don't wanna jinx it for you (I got snowed in July in the alps some years ago), but honestly I would leave the snow chains home if you're travelling in May.
Should you choose to cross the border via Montblanc Tunnel, or (even better if you fancy a scenic drive) St. Bernards' Pass, I would recommend planning a night here

I prefer, blast down, slow back. Go where the weathers good. You won’t need to book ahead that time of year.
Get a Eurotunnel Flexiplus ticket. Drive over to France in the evening. Stop at a French aire for the night and get an early start next day. 6am hit the road and be in Italy early evening.

I prefer, blast down, slow back. Go where the weathers good. You won’t need to book ahead that time of year.
Get a Eurotunnel Flexiplus ticket. Drive over to France in the evening. Stop at a French aire for the night and get an early start next day. 6am hit the road and be in Italy early evening.
@soulstyledevon , is that then entering Italy from the Annecy side into nearabouts Turin?

Itinerary:
  1. From Berkshire
  4. 2 adults plus dog
  6. Set off mid May
  7. Return early June
  8. Scenic out, fast back

Mike
I can recommended driving through Switzerland.

At that time of year the mountain passes should be open (no Gotthard tunnel, no queue).

If you are going through the Gotthard, common advice is it’s better to avoid Fridays going south and Sundays going north, and generally it’s quieter after 9pm or early 6am.

Saying that, I just go when suits us best and accept there is often a queue, the worst we’ve had is 2 hours.

For Swiss traffic you can check sites and apps like this.

For snow chains in May you’d have to be going very high up and on minor roads like up to a village, and still unlikely would need them.

Extra info: Swiss Vignette needed to use the motorways, cost 40 CHF, can be bought at Swiss petrol stations and at the toll border crossings.

Thoughts:

Go for longer if you can

Get a Mango roll tag as it does Italy as well as France

Use searchforsites and park4night apps for places to stay

Have a great trip
I have ordered a Mango on the above recommendation, thank you @Ting Tong. I never used a tag like this.

I am sure there will be instructions when it arrives, but in practice is it as simple as putting it in your front window and driving through all the relevant barriers identified by a Tag symbol?

Last edited:
Is it as simple as putting it in your front window and driving through all the relevant barriers identified by a Tag symbol?
Yes it is. You can place it on the dotted area behind the mirror.
What I missed in the options to get to Florence: you can use the Fréjus-tunnel. We did this on our way back from visiting the major towns in Northern Italy.
Note: afterwards we crossed Genova and as we were lead through the center of the town; this was a rather time consuming part of our trip because of the many traffic lights that allow only three cars to pass on one turn...

Yes it is. You can place it on the dotted area behind the mirror.
What I missed in the options to get to Florence: you can use the Fréjus-tunnel. We did this on our way back from visiting the major towns in Northern Italy.
Note: afterwards we crossed Genova and as we were lead through the center of the town; this was a rather time consuming part of our trip because of the many traffic lights that allow only three cars to pass on one turn...
Thank you @Arnoob.

I have now received the tag 'badge' and we are due to travel in France and Italy shortly, and later in the year in Spain and Portugal. As I understand it the badge covers all toll roads in all four countries.

I have studied the website in particular:

https://www.mango-mobilitesbyaprr.com/en/france-espagne-portugal-italie-0
and

There is reference to a 30km lane but am I correct that in France most Tag lanes have barriers which lift once they identify the Tag?

In Portugal there are at least two different toll companies and many of the toll roads have no barriers and in the past I have had to pre-register with a number plate to use one toll service and still pay cash for another. Does anyone know if all Portuguese tolls are covered with this Tag?

Has anyone used the car parking feature? If refers to this on the website but does not explain how it works, i.e. does it read automatically or do you put details into a booth.

@soulstyledevon , is that then entering Italy from the Annecy side into nearabouts Turin?
Avoid Turin! We were 15 minutes booking in at the reception of Campeggio Grinto with our Cali parked right outside. In that short time, ours & another van were broken into. Very professionally done, gang wearing masks, Fiat Ducato van alongside to throw loot into. Told it happens often & the amount of broken glass in the carpark suggests that's true. Carabinieri could not be less interested. The gang were quick, efficient & thorough. Less than a minute per van. Knocked in side window, reached in & opened all the doors then any grabbed bags. Even opened all cupboards in that time. Very professional. Be aware this can happen very very quickly.

Hi, I’m just linking on to this thread, as we’re planning a circular tour around the coast, probably anti-clockwise. After travelling through France, and taking the southern route into Italy, we want to start in the Italian Riviera and Portofino, round to Cinque Terre, dip inland to the lakes around Montepuclano down to Rome area, then Amalfi area, down south around Lecce, and up the eastern side towards Bologna and finish at either Garda or Como. Our thinking is about 4 weeks. Probably mid April to mid May.

The thing that concerns us is the availability and standard of campsites. We’ve got an ASCI card etc., and been looking for suitable stops. There seems to be either resorts with pool, restaurants, etc at around €80/ night, or very basic sites with limited washing facilities and unmarked pitches at around €20/ night, and nothing much in between. Even the recommended CAMC sites are really holiday parks. I’ve been looking on Google, and not getting much joy there either.

Qu. Is this just how it is in Italy, or are there better sources of info.?

We wouldn’t bother with the Mont Blanc tunnel unless you were really in a rush as it’s not exactly cheap.
If you go through Switzerland the Valais valley is a good route with various points to stop off such as Zermatt. The Simplon pass crosses over into Italy and we doesn’t a night there on the way back from our last trip. Overnight camping at this pass is allowed for a small fee.
If you’re breaking the journey on the way down Troyes is a good spot. We normally use an Ibis there as it’s an easy walk into town.
We got on fine crossing with a dog in the tunnel, their pet reception area was fairly efficient. We also pre booked a vet appointment for the way back to get the worming tablet done.

The Dolomites. Oh my god, what an area of outstanding natural beauty and I spend three months a year in the Alps!

We drove between Trento and Cortina and it is the most spectular drive we have ever done, Jae dropping in places. The mountains, thelifts, the views, the walking.

If you get a chance to add it to your itinerary you will be really pleased you did.

Back