Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Advise on trip to Italy next year (2023)

mikeelawson

mikeelawson

BOOMEL
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Our Son is getting married in Italy (bank of Mum and Dad is closing after this one) next year and we want to take our time to travel down there with our Cali Ocean. Ideally if someone has done something similar and can share their knowledge / experience that would be much appreciated.

Itinerary:
  1. From Berkshire
  2. To Florence (50k South)
  3. No more than 300 miles per day. I calculate a single trip is about 1100 miles
  4. 2 adults plus dog
  5. 1 week holiday in Italian Lakes on way down
  6. Set off mid May
  7. Return early June
  8. Scenic out, fast back
  9. A mixture of nice campsites and accommodation on route
We are doing a a lot of research ourselves, however I would be grateful for some thoughts on:
  1. Routes and options including things to avoid e.g Mont Blanc tunnel at weekends
  2. General tips e.g. blipper for paying tolls in France
  3. Packing list / tips (extras to consider given trip). Should I take snow chains to abide by laws? Portable air conditioning?
  4. Special considerations re dog (other normal regs etc)
  5. Recommendations re campsites and accommodation

Your assistance is much appreciated.

Mike

We’ve been to France a few times since March and didn’t bother with the toll tag, although friends travelling alongside us had one, and were certainly through the gates quicker than us. Best travel move was getting a Starling bank account and card; easy to set up an Euro account, and got notifications on my phone within 10 seconds of using it at the tolls (or anywhere).

Back