After Market Window tinting considerations

Ocean Spirit

Ocean Spirit

Eating Ice Cream, skimming stones.
Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
The first reality of after market tinting is….

If you have double glazed windows on your California you will notice different reflection effects from these verses the remaining single glazed windows at some angles in some lights.
There is no getting around that.
If your California is single glazed, after market tints will be the same as most other vehicles on the road where the only thing that gets complained about is the dot matrix area around the edges of the glass.

So lets start with Dot Matrix as this also applies to the double glazed units as well then we can move on to the additional considerations about the way they reflect after that.
Dot Matrix (single and double glazed California windows)
What is it?
It's the pattern around the edges of the glass going from solid black to clear glass.
Why is it there?
The solid black part is there to hide the cured bonding material used between the body and the glass. But it’s not just that, it also protects the bonding from UV rays. This solid area over the bonding alone would gives a shear heat change as well so the dots or the ‘Frits’ are placed by the glass manufacturers to dissipate heat more gradually and in their own right they have some aesthetic improvements.
So whats the problem?
Aftermarket films generally don’t adhere to the glass between the Frits. This gives a reflection between the glass and the film (Similar to the problems with double glazing when at its worse).
On a California there is more than one style of dot matrix so it depends which window you are looking at.

The net result is you can often see a lighter grey or glassy reflection where the dot matrix is. The extent of this not only depends on the style of dot matrix but each individual vehicles glass because a glass batch may have taken a thicker layer than another. Yes it can make a difference from Cali to Cali.

It’s easy to get really hung up about it and have a mini hissy fit at VW but next time you see a car with aftermarket tints parked in a street look closer. 9 times out of 10 you have taken it for granted that cars you have seen were perfect but they aren’t and aftermarket tints will likely show dot matrix and rear screen heater elements in the same way.

Anyway, as I already mentioned the Cali dot matrix is different and aftermarket tinting added to double glazed units adhere well between sparse Frits and hide this just about perfectly.
Moving forward past the double glazed areas you have the rearmost of the single glazed side windows. The dot matrix are not more prominent and not so easy to hide. Then you have the sliding window itself which is kind of midway between the 2. Your chosen tinting firm will have differing successes due to the thickness on your glass batch and maybe some luck during application?

So if you have single glazing all-round, take a look at the dot matrix and compare it to the sliding windows and the ones just behind them that the sliding windows cover as it may differ from the double glazed units on an SE or Ocean.
Now the decision about adding tints due to dot matrix issue is yours.

Personally, I believe the film is usually applied neatly enough to detract from any unsightliness to passers by not scrutinising windows to pass the time of day. Yes there will be a ‘border’ between the level of tint and the solid part of the dot matrix but there already is.... and they are called Frits.
Some people sand them down, not something that gets true recommendation. Or they cut the tint short of the dot matrix then paint between them (much skill required) and still not invisible.

Double Glazed units
Now we have more things to consider.
On a new California regardless whether privacy glass was spec’d or if came with standard tint glass, from inside and outside all the glass in the living space will be uniform in colour and the way it reflects, except the area behind the wardrobe on an SE or an Ocean.
This is because the VW tint is applied on the inside of the exterior piece of glass so the daylight hits it in the same way as the single glazed areas. The inner piece of glass on the double glazed units is clear on each and thats why the reflection is uniform around the vehicle.
By the wardrobe however there is a black out coating applied to the interior side of the inner piece of glass. That creates a different reflection to the rest of the living area double glazing.
So while not private enough for some in either standard or VW privacy guise (the VW privacy level gets a split decision from owners) at least the only anomaly is the area hiding the wardrobe and I think we are all happy with the fact that just the way it is.

But here’s the fact is…
That area which is blacked out already reflects daylight differently than the rest of the glass area.
Because of the black out coating on the interior side of the double glazed unit.
The light is not continuing through the outer layer into the van it’s bouncing back in the glazing gap and onto the outer piece of glass.

So if you now add after market film to the tailgate, the small piece of double glazing in front of the wardrobe and the double glazing on the other side you have virtually matched the effect of the reflection behind the wardrobe on all double glazed pieces.
Just to be sure you get this right from the outside a limo tint on the small piece in front of the wardrobe will definitely help (regardless of the tint level you have chosen for everywhere else) and on the inside, that useful blind with the 3 trays is always pulled across and in use in my Cali so a win win. In any case the slightly darker tint there looking from inside to outside is quite inoffensive if you have chosen lighter tints for the rest.
So what are the real world visual differences between options?
OK
  • A 'standard glass' California (single all around or double glazed) all looks the same tint and reflection except the blackout area hiding the wardrobe where fitted by model.
  • A 'VW privacy glass' California (single all around or double glazed) all looks the same tint and reflection except the blackout area hiding the wardrobe where fitted by model.
  • Applying after market film to Cali’s with single glazed units (standard or VW privacy glass) all around the vehicle, a near perfect match all all around should be achievable except the reflection infant of fitted wardrobe where fitted. If my understanding is correct Cali’s with heated rear screens are single glazed and possibly the Beach and Coast in standard trim?
  • Applying after market film to VW privacy tinted Cali’s with double glazed units. You will make the tailgate and 2 rear windows match each other closely enough (remember though the wardrobe area is completely black) in terns of tint and reflection. The tint will be close enough to the more forward (single glazed) glass in the living area but they will have a different reflection in some lighting conditions and angles.
  • Applying after market tint to standard (no tint) Cali's with double glazing? I'd be guessing but can only assume the results would be similar to VW privacy double glazing results only more of a need for darker tint?
By adding it what have you achieved?
  • A decent uniformity on sigle glazed models.
  • More privacy on all models.
  • On double glazed models you have now matched the 2 rearmost windows and the tailgate but the caveat is…if not uniform with the more forward windows, the eye would like these to be darker but that reflection coming back out from the film and black out on the inner glass gives a lighter more grey appearance than the windows forward of them.
However remember how you didn’t scrutinise after market tints dot matrix issues before? Well the reflections of trees, telegraph wires and buildings and at least 50% of daylight conditions do completely distract fro the different reflection.
So now it time to make your choice. Will you sit and keep looking at the differences or be happy that you got privacy and darker tint is nicer to look at?

Any photos you see on the forum
with double glazed windows that look completely uniform are enhanced by a trick of the light!
With double glazed windows that look completely different from the rest of the van are also enhanced by a trick of the light.
And dare I say, even the colour of the van will accent or disguise to a slight degree.
Below are my before and after pics of my Cali...giving a fair comparison (both are normal un-doctored pics on different days (obviously in typical British daylight).
I went for 20% everywhere (on top of VW privacy tints) except the small window in front of wardrobe which I did limo 5%.
Is it worth all the fuss? you just need to know whether you value the additional privacy in daylight.
Before (left) After (Right)
Screenshot 2022-09-09 at 17.04.44 copy.png

Before
IMG_3074.JPG
IMG_3454.JPG

Last edited:
I’ve never felt the need for darker than factory tint. I think ‘privacy glass’ is standard now, I never had a choice. And I haven’t felt overlooked. I personally don’t care if someone sees me changing in there…the missus just pulls the blinds if she is.
Factory seems perfect to me - I’d rather have the daylight.

It’s also worth taking out the blind from the window in front of the wardrobe & painting the rear of it black as the white shows through the factory tint badly.

I actually prefer the before Pic…?

I actually prefer the before Pic…?
Yep the VW privacy glass has an air about it and I was never too fussed to get tinting done but every now and then had the urge. I have scratched the itch and I am equally happy plus a tiny bit if that makes sense.
Mainly due to days like this where you can see straight through VW privacy tint.
IMG_4893 copy.jpg

Last edited: