Privacy glass and aftermarket tinting considerations

Ocean Spirit

Ocean Spirit

Eating Ice Cream, skimming stones.
Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
I have read all the threads on here regarding tints and as is usual with forums somethings seem to contradict each other along the way.

I’m not talking about opinions of whether tinting is good or necessary or adequate from VW etc. What I’m talking about is…..the issues and complexity in getting an acceptable match from window to window using internal tinted film.

Having picked through each thread and hoping I haven’t forgotten anything heres the way I understand it.

If you have a Beach

You do not have double glazing so getting a match should be straight forward by using the same tinting on each window regardless of whether you have the existing VW privacy tint or standard glass.

If you have an Ocean or SE

With VW standard (green) glass or VW Privacy glass, any aftermarket tint will appear different from window to window thanks to the wardrobe and the double glazing.

People have had varying degrees of success with nullifying this by mixing and matching film tint levels.

It would appear to me that it’s never going to be perfect regardless of whether you start with the standard VW (green) glass or the VW privacy tint which it’s self still appears green in a lot of lights.

Of the photo’s posted on the forum I have also noticed that how it looks depends on the photo and lighting conditions at the time (assuming there is no photo manipulation). You can promote (deliberately or accidentally) a fairly even and dark look to the tint, exaggerate the differences or make everything look very light without even having to edit the photo.

I myself have posted photo’s of my Ocean where the VW tint looks really purposeful but in the flesh with good sunlight it looks much clearer yet greener.

It’s a fact that the conditions will always play a part in how it looks just as they do with paint on a sunny or dull day.

So unless you are simply trying to pimp your ride in the crudest fashion I guess your aim is to get a darker look on the outside with a match that is no worse than the VW privacy glass yet provide enough light on the inside of the Cali for your taste.

So with that in mind, what works for you may not work for someone else but at least you know what you are up against.

Same Cali, same phone (camera), different day, same screen shot.
Screen Shot 2018-03-11 at 20.55.28.png

I would personally prefer it to be the one on the right and it’s what I will aim for if I go down the after market route.

I’m thinking the trick is to get samples of the tints on the double glazed windows matching the area covered on the inside by the wardrobe. Then going a shade up or down on the single glazing but I can’t work out which way around that should be. Gut says lighter on the single glazing. Then keep looking in real daylight from different angles over a few days to see if you are happy with the result.

Unless anyone has definitely cracked it thats going to be my approach. ONE DAY

Last edited:
I’ve a Beach, with double-glasing, so getting a match was impossible. Should’ve went for factory privacy :headbang
Excuse my ignorance on the Beach/double glazing thing, the brochure I have mentions it to be only on the Ocean as standard so I guess it can be added as an option on the Beach then?

Putting you back in the conundrum.....

Excuse my ignorance on the Beach/double glazing thing, the brochure I have mentions it to be only on the Ocean as standard so I guess it can be added as an option on the Beach then?

Putting you back in the conundrum.....

Correct, can be added as an option. So, yes also.... Same conundrum.

Think there’s always going to be a “reflection” issue with double-paned glass. Unless it’s the outermost pane, which is the one that has the darker tint. As we don’t have the option of splitting the panes, the factory privacy offers a better starting point I think. But may never be perfect in all lights due to reflections.