Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Air bag light when drivers seat adjusted

J

jeannie

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174 4Motion
Whenever my husband adjusts the drivers seat, the air bag light comes on and I have to take it back to dealership so they can check it. I’m told that it is the movement of the seat dislodging/activating the airbag light. Problem is I can never be sure airbag is working so need to keep returning for this to be rectified. Anyone else got/had this problem and how did you resolve it please?

I can not see how old you van is from my phone but there were issues a few years ago with this and I think some dealers extended the plug wire as a long term solution/ fix.

Thanks for this info. It is 2011
It used to happen a lot to my 2012. Bought Carista as I was told that if the light comes on the airbags will not work and we were off on a 4 week tour of Italy. Didn’t fancy weeks abroad without airbags. Typical since I bought Carista it’s only happened twice - but an easy reset. VW wanted to have it for a day testing on the computer - at a costly price just to see what was wrong - then charge extra for parts and labour.

Whenever my husband adjusts the drivers seat, the air bag light comes on and I have to take it back to dealership so they can check it. I’m told that it is the movement of the seat dislodging/activating the airbag light. Problem is I can never be sure airbag is working so need to keep returning for this to be rectified. Anyone else got/had this problem and how did you resolve it please?
Yes, twice now. Once when I reclined the passenger seat and the second when I swivelled it.

It used to happen a lot to my 2012. Bought Carista as I was told that if the light comes on the airbags will not work and we were off on a 4 week tour of Italy. Didn’t fancy weeks abroad without airbags. Typical since I bought Carista it’s only happened twice - but an easy reset. VW wanted to have it for a day testing on the computer - at a costly price just to see what was wrong - then charge extra for parts and labour.
Decided to call green flag out. He plugged in his computer and assured me that it was a fault with the connection rather than the air bags not working. Told me I had to go to Vw main dealer to get it reset. It seems Vw have not allowed access to their systems to recovery services as the had promised in 2012 forcing all resets to be carried out in dealerships. He said he had been called out to the same problem on these vans several times

How did you deal with it?
I went to the dealers with both faults.

On the first occasion the reclined passenger seat had pulled the wiring loom apart under the seat. The dealer told me that it was an adjustment and therefore wasn't covered under the Factory Extended Warranty. I disagreed saying that it was broken and therefore a fault. In the end I quoted their online description of the FEW and they paid.

The second was after I swivelled the same seat. They paid under the FEW.

Decided to call green flag out. He plugged in his computer and assured me that it was a fault with the connection rather than the air bags not working. Told me I had to go to Vw main dealer to get it reset. It seems Vw have not allowed access to their systems to recovery services as the had promised in 2012 forcing all resets to be carried out in dealerships. He said he had been called out to the same problem on these vans several times
He told you rubbish I’m afraid, even a £15 Carista dongle can reset that.

He told you rubbish I’m afraid, even a £15 Carista dongle can reset that.
Omg I get so fed up of being told untruths about things mechanical. At least with my old beetle I got to know it so well and pretty much could diagnose problems myself! Thanks for the info