Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Airbag Error Message

Thank you! Hope you are right. This may be an expensive week. First MOT, probably needs new front tyres plus after freezing feet in the Lake District last week am going to treat myself to something cosy to put down on the living area floor.

Fault fixed by VW Assist (fiddling under passenger seat and warning light extinguished!), then recurred 3 weeks later, any idea which connector? WD40 didn't help. Otherwise its a wasted day.

VW Van Centre in Manchester just charged me £280 to remove the seat and change the wiring (we're out of warranty). Oof! It better not recur...

Does anyone know how to reset the warning light ourselves?

I've had this problem on a T5 SE 2015 persistently for several years, paid to have the wires extended, still same problems. MOT due next week...

Thanks for any advice/info!

Currently in Kent in Tonbridge

Does anyone know how to reset the warning light ourselves?

I've had this problem on a T5 SE 2015 persistently for several years, paid to have the wires extended, still same problems. MOT due next week...

Thanks for any advice/info!

Currently in Kent in Tonbridge
You need something like a Carista obd and app to do it yourself. I always have one in the van as I too have recurring airbag syndrome!

You need something like a Carista obd and app to do it yourself. I always have one in the van as I too have recurring airbag syndrome!
Thank you!

I'll go and buy an odbii device today from eurocar parts.

Just check that the one you buy does all you need it to :thumb
You are right, the one I looked at (cheap £20) does not do airbags.

I'm looking at the Carista website, understand you purchase the obdii device, but then it sounds like the App is a recurring subscription...which is quite costly if your paying every month. Is this what you use, or did you find an alternative App with one off cost instead of subscription?

Thanks for any info!

EDIT: Just found another thread discussing this topic, confirms there is a two week free period, then option in future to buy 1 month at £9.99. Only question now is whether its compatible with my T5.1 2015.

Last edited:

I'm looking at the Carista website, understand you purchase the obdii device, but then it sounds like the App is a recurring subscription...which is quite costly if your paying every month. Is this what you use, or did you find an alternative App with one off cost instead of subscription?

Thanks for any info!

EDIT: Just found another thread discussing this topic, confirms there is a two week free period, then option in future to buy 1 month at £9.99. Only question now is whether its compatible with my T5.1 2015.
Hi. It is compatible with my 2012 T5.1 SE.
I pay £33.99 annually for the “pro” version. Considering VW wanted £80+VAT to reset it I thought it a good buy a few years ago as they couldn’t really tell me how much it would cost (or whether it would solve) my airbag fault if they fitted new wiring! As we have an Audi and a VW Polo in the family it made sense. An example being it told me which abs sensor had failed recently and I repaired my self for the price of the sensor - I was quoted £200+ so it paid for itself quickly.
The app is very easy to use.

Last edited:
Hi. It is compatible with my 2012 T5.1 SE.
I pay £32.99 annually for the “pro” version. Considering VW wanted £80+VAT to reset it I thought it a good buy a few years ago as they couldn’t really tell me how much it would cost (or whether it would solve) my airbag fault if they fitted new wiring! As we have an Audi and a VW Polo in the family it made sense. An example being it told me which abs sensor had failed recently and I repaired my self for the price of the sensor - I was quoted £200+ so it paid for itself quickly.
The app is very easy to use.

Thanks for your advice!

I've ordered the Carista device, and will try with my 2015 T5.1 later this week when it arrives and report back in case useful in the future for others.

Thanks for any info!

Its compatible with T5.1 2015 (works fine with our 2012). Its worth having.

£22.99 for the Dongle, includes 1 month subscription, then £46.99 for annual subscription.

Its compatible with T5.1 2015 (works fine with our 2012). Its worth having.

£22.99 for the Dongle, includes 1 month subscription, then £46.99 for annual subscription.

Not complaint but I’ve been charged £33.99 annually for about 5 yrs now. Bargain

Thanks for your advice!

I've ordered the Carista device, and will try with my 2015 T5.1 later this week when it arrives and report back in case useful in the future for others.

Received the Adaptor today, successfully worked with my 2015 T5.1, allowing me to clear the airbag warning fault code.

Postnote:
- Had to buy the Pro subscription to use vehicle specific functionality (e.g. the free period for first few weeks did not allow clearing airbag warning lights)
- I chose the 1 month subscription £9.99 intending to cancel after first month and re-subscribe on demand as needed in the future.
- The annual subscription was presented as £46.99 in the App.

Thanks everyone for your responses / help.

Back