Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Resetting airbag error message using 3rd party VCDS cable...is it possible?

L

Lost in the Forest

VIP Member
Hi All,

I have searched the resources on this forum but cannot find the complete answer to my problem(s).
Any guidance appreciated.

After swivelling the passenger front seat on a recent camping trip , the airbag error message occurred.
Checking forum posts this seems to be a common issue. I have looked under the seat and can see the yellow wiring connector and checked it is seated corrected (gently) with a long handled screwdriver.

I have borrowed from a friend a 3rd party VCDS cable (which works on his '07 T5 transporter) and downloaded the Ross-Tech SW. Using COM3 , it recognises the PORT but not the Interface. If this cable works with a 07 T5 any reason why it would not work with my 11 Cali ?

Of course , ultimately I can visit my local Dealer and pay them to run a diagnostic and hopefully clear the error message.

Cheers
Mark

Hi All,

I have searched the resources on this forum but cannot find the complete answer to my problem(s).
Any guidance appreciated.

After swivelling the passenger front seat on a recent camping trip , the airbag error message occurred.
Checking forum posts this seems to be a common issue. I have looked under the seat and can see the yellow wiring connector and checked it is seated corrected (gently) with a long handled screwdriver.

I have borrowed from a friend a 3rd party VCDS cable (which works on his '07 T5 transporter) and downloaded the Ross-Tech SW. Using COM3 , it recognises the PORT but not the Interface. If this cable works with a 07 T5 any reason why it would not work with my 11 Cali ?

Of course , ultimately I can visit my local Dealer and pay them to run a diagnostic and hopefully clear the error message.

Cheers
Mark
Can't see that there would of been much change between '07 and '11. Have you tried changing the order in which you plugin and start the software? It might just be the software hasn't recognised the connection. Have you got the ignition on? Clutching at straws here but it could be as simple as that.

I used the Carista device to reset my airbag warning light which was accidentally set when I changed the stereo (2011 SE).

Looking at their website, it only works with models from 2010 and upwards....suggesting that 2007 is different to 2011.

Also, the Ross Tech website says this....

"CAN stands for Controller Area Network. CAN is a new means of communicating with the car for diagnostics used by the latest generations of VW, Audi, SEAT, and Skoda vehicles. Unlike the older ISO9141 system which used a single K-line for diagnostic communications, the new CAN-Bus system uses a twisted pair of wires with differential signaling. CAN is considerably faster than ISO-9141 (500 kbps vs. 10.4 kbps). Both new hardware and new software are required in order to communicate with cars using CAN for diagnostics."

EDIT: Don't go to the dealer unless they'll do it for free, just buy the Carista for £15 off Amazon. You get free trial period, which will allow you to reset the warning. Obviously, if you have any doubts about it being anything other then a false error, then get it checked out.

Can't see that there would of been much change between '07 and '11. Have you tried changing the order in which you plugin and start the software? It might just be the software hasn't recognised the connection. Have you got the ignition on? Clutching at straws here but it could be as simple as that.

Tried that but thanks for the post.

I used the Carista device to reset my airbag warning light which was accidentally set when I changed the stereo (2011 SE).

Looking at their website, it only works with models from 2010 and upwards....suggesting that 2007 is different to 2011.

Also, the Ross Tech website says this....

"CAN stands for Controller Area Network. CAN is a new means of communicating with the car for diagnostics used by the latest generations of VW, Audi, SEAT, and Skoda vehicles. Unlike the older ISO9141 system which used a single K-line for diagnostic communications, the new CAN-Bus system uses a twisted pair of wires with differential signaling. CAN is considerably faster than ISO-9141 (500 kbps vs. 10.4 kbps). Both new hardware and new software are required in order to communicate with cars using CAN for diagnostics."

EDIT: Don't go to the dealer unless they'll do it for free, just buy the Carista for £15 off Amazon. You get free trial period, which will allow you to reset the warning. Obviously, if you have any doubts about it being anything other then a false error, then get it checked out.

Cheers I will order the Carista device

BTW, is there anything else I can do with it other than resetting the airbag error? Ta.

Reset the error with the Carista device but it came straight back on again. Looks like I’m off to the dealer again........ :headbang

I wiggled all the cables under the passenger seat and pushed all the connectors so that they were securely attached, tried again with the Carista and bingo, error cleared.

Me too.. job done... didn’t realise Carista wanted a subscription off me though but still very cheap ...

Back