Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Aircon at night

R

Rich Corrado

Might be a stupid question but what do you do at night for aircon or cooling if your going somewhere hot?

Is it just a case of leaving the windows open or does anyone use a fan or anything?

roof up windows un zipped, not much clothes on :crazy

I would like to have the luxury. Most of the time I'm groping for the heating remote control.

Seriously, what do you do anywhere else it gets warm? You open all the air flaps possible, and in the cali there are enough to allow a moderate-sized hurricane to pass through, and if it is still warm you think "thank goodness it is not freezing".

Wait till the sun goes down. It can be stifling in there up until that point.

Yes I understand the principle of opening windows and doors but I was just wondering if anyone had ever used a fan or aircon of any nature?

I have two young children and just wanted to keep them cooler if we go to Spain or France in the summer.

Have a couple of USB powered desk fans. Run almost silent and keep the air circulating.

When it's really hot I have been known to just open the sliding door :D

Rich Corrado said:
Yes I understand the principle of opening windows and doors but I was just wondering if anyone had ever used a fan or aircon of any nature?

I have two young children and just wanted to keep them cooler if we go to Spain or France in the summer.

Get a little home based aircon unit from somewhere like costco, on the hookup that should do nicely

I have nicks awning sides so I just leave the sliding door open :thumb

We take a small fan when heading far south because the Cali is not a very comfortable place to sleep when it is +24 degrees at night, especially downstairs.

When we were in the South of France the year before last it was around 28 degrees downstairs even at midnight and we were wishing we were in a hotel with air con.

I must say though, you have not chosen the best colour Cali ... think of all that heat the black cali will be absorbing all day :eek:

Calikev said:
I have nicks awning sides so I just leave the sliding door open :thumb

Good point, we also have Nicks side awning and leave all the doors and windows open, plus the Air safe is worth getting as it does create a nice through breeze.

Martin said:
I must say though, you have not chosen the best colour Cali ... think of all that heat the black cali will be absorbing all day :eek:

I know, it was something I considered.

But black looks great :lol:

TwentyOneThirtyFive said:
Have a couple of USB powered desk fans. Run almost silent and keep the air circulating.

When it's really hot I have been known to just open the sliding door :D

Cheers, that's what I was thinking but wondered how much of a drain they would have on the leisure batteries if we don't have a mains hook up available

Hardly noticeable I would have thought, it's not something I would worry about.

Get a little home based aircon unit from somewhere like costco, on the hookup that should do nicely[/quote]

That sounds like a good idea, but how big are they and how much room do they take up and where do you store etc ?

...and do you have any link about these aircon units?
I looked for it but never found anything suitable...

I've been looking at getting a fan for the summer and the 'Endless Breeze Fan' keeps popping up. It shifts a lot of air, runs on 12 Volts, ~1 amp on low setting, and ~3 amps on high, 4" deep and 14" square so could store it fairly easily. It's not cheap at £80, but it looks very good and should be fine to use if you're not on hookup.

Wondering if anyone has used one and would recommend them?

I'm visiting my friends in Almeria in August so I have been very conscious about this too as we cained the aircon when we went there last year in our apartment as it was mega hot.

Just found this.. http://www.coolmycamper.com/default.htm

Wonder it you could work with the sliding window or in conjunction with the airsafe?

Would deffo need the Brandrup fly out for the sliding door

I was by Bologna in summer 2011 and could not bear the heat....SO I pushed on over to the coast thinking I would get relief....no chance it was hotter.....then scuttled up to the Alps in desperation and it ok....stayed two weeks and on final night prior to pushing off to Hungarian GP...it snowed...!

rippers said:
I'm visiting my friends in Almeria in August so I have been very conscious about this too as we cained the aircon when we went there last year in our apartment as it was mega hot.

Just found this.. http://www.coolmycamper.com/default.htm

Wonder it you could work with the sliding window or in conjunction with the airsafe?

Would deffo need the Brandrup fly out for the sliding door

If this would fit then it looks just the job :D

I popped an email over to the guys that sell it asking if they had fitted one to a T5 before and if so how they went about it.

To be fair it looks like a case of just of just some how getting the 'umbilical cord' between inside/outside. I'm wondering if you could pass it through the sliding window and mount the outside unit to the awning rail then on the inside it would just rest on top of the unit in a SE or on the floor in the beach maybe even on the interior table rail??

Hi
Cool my camper sent me a unit last year. Unfortunately I had to return it as the umbilical connection is too short to use on the windows or back door of the Cali, and the cord cannot be disconnected. The two parts are pretty heavy with a short umbilical connection I between. They did have some other unit on order with a longer umbilical connection which definitely would have fitted a Cali but unfortunately their Italian suppliers haven't supplied one yet-I still have one on back order.
DSG 180 2012. We have the Brandup nets via Steve SMG. In hot steamy France last year when we were on secure campsites we left the side door and tail gate open but with zipped up nets across the openings and had a fast antic airflow so were very comfy. We had Ulis silver roof topper and sides to the awning as well some days.

I found another supplier of the exact same Aircon unit for £355 delivered! I still think I could get it to work, but would have to make new brackets

Back