Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cali & Hot Weather

How about turning the fridge up to maximum and propping the lid open a small amount so the food/beer inside stays cool enough but the van gets some cooling effect?

Don't give the kids ideas lol
How about turning the fridge up to maximum and propping the lid open a small amount so the food/beer inside stays cool enough but the van gets some cooling effect?

Don't give the kids ideas! At home, on the odd occasion of a very hot day, my daughter sneaks into the kitchen and opens the freezer door to enjoy the cool draught. :cool:

That will make the van warmer! The heat exchange at the rear of the fridge will give out more warm air, over compensating for the cool air from the fridge due to inefficiencies. Better to turn the fridge off unless you can ventilate the warm air from the heat exchange to the outside.

I'll try it in practice on the drive and let you know.

Why buy one of those fans when there is a great big bellows on the roof? ;)

I had a problem last year one hot weekend with the passenger side of the van getting really hot in the sun, and then making the water in the hot tank boiling hot! Does anyone know of, say, a little awning that would attach to the passenger side using the existing rail, and shade that side of the van?

I had a problem last year one hot weekend with the passenger side of the van getting really hot in the sun, and then making the water in the hot tank boiling hot! Does anyone know of, say, a little awning that would attach to the passenger side using the existing rail, and shade that side of the van?

I tried that too used a rescue blanket (1st aid kit) and I guess it made a difference however parking in the shade is the best way...

Do you have a Topper?
I use these Tarpaulins
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01NBK133F/?tag=eliteelect-21
I secure them to the Topper connectors that fit in the rail.

I wish I had bought a can of silicone grease earlier, they are a great friend to the cali, I have sorted the blinds by applying a little to the wires they now run smooth as silk. A little to the sliding doors on the wardrobe and also to the lock on the awning legs, and not forgetting the zips in roof and deck chairs. Its a different vehicle if only I knew earlier.

I wish I had bought a can of silicone grease earlier, they are a great friend to the cali, I have sorted the blinds by applying a little to the wires they now run smooth as silk. A little to the sliding doors on the wardrobe and also to the lock on the awning legs, and not forgetting the zips in roof and deck chairs. Its a different vehicle if only I knew earlier.
Do you use a spray or a tub of grease?

Hi Steve & Lisa,

We’re on our way back from South of France - not quite as hot but we used a couple of 12v fans at night - eurocarparts £12.49 each,

Michael

We have just come back from Spain where it was mid thirties during the day and 25+ at night. We have now come to the conclusion the Cali is not a happy place in hot weather at night when more than two people in the van. Upstairs was fine ( although still very hot and sweaty at night) but downstairs was unbearable even with all the windows open. I guess two people should be fine but anymore than that and you will be looking at some sleepless nights.

Maybe it is just us but I would highly reccomend anyone going somewhere hot to take either a tent or a drive away awning as four hot bodies in a van is a big no-no

We ended up losing two nights on one campsite and booked into a hotel with air-con ( such a relief and only 20 euro more than camping)

I get mine from Toolstation, as you say, really handy in the Cali.
https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p21983

Bought a tarpaulin and used the topper connecters to fix it to the rail on the passenger side - worked a treat and kept the van/ water tank and pipes all cooler!
Thanks for your help everyone! :)

Back