Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Alarms and fire extinguishers

P

Plinky

VIP Member
I have finished fretting about my new California order, and feel satisfied with that. (Famous last words)

I am now turning my attention to safety.

It seems sensible to fit a fire alarm, fire blanket and extinguisher.

What kind of extinguisher is recommended, and are other alarms such as Carbon Monoxide detectors recommended ?

Thanks for any help ...

Where is the fireblanket kept?
rob

Is it with the rest of the emergency kit under the sink?

Thank you. I'll have a look. I have never opened the emergency kit thankfully.

rob

I thought that was first aid kit under cooker with triagle ! ?

Fire blanket there as well.

A CO detector is in my view essential, Fireangel, around 23 quid, cheap for a life saved.

Fire extinguishers, from Halfords, fits neatly in the front door pocket. Only need a little one, if you have a raging inferno on your hands then get out quick,

johnyboy said:
Is it with the rest of the emergency kit under the sink?

There's already a fire blanket, really? :eek: I guess that means we've got two then :oops: We keep the one we bought in the front door pocket.

Frankly I think keeping the fire blanket in the door pocket is the best place.

I really do not want to be groping around the cupboard under the gas burners if what's on them has become incendiary :eek:

GrannyJen said:
Frankly I think keeping the fire blanket in the door pocket is the best place.

I really do not want to be groping around the cupboard under the gas burners if what's on them has become incendiary :eek:

Yep was thinking the same, needs to be handy as S*&% happens quickly.

Tempted to go with a 1kg Foam as Powder will make a hell of a mess and can total a diesel engine. Foam should be Ok on 12volt if you stand back.

I wouldn't worry about a powder extinguisher making a mess of a cali - its your lungs you should worry about. Having been on a couple of fire training courses run by the fire brigade training centre I have actually witnessed the following:

1. Emptying a full size (i.e. the sort you see in an office) water extinguisher into a waste paper basket with lit paper has no effect other than to produce a lot of steam/smoke to disorientate you.

2. doing the same into a chip pan fire will produce a fire ball / spread of burning oil that will probably take out the adjacent pitch as well.

3. The powder extinguishers are useless, if anything comes out (the powder tends to settle & cake together) when they are set off it will be a cloud of powder that causes lung irritation with possible long term damage & have little effect on a fire.

4. A water extinguisher should not be used in a cali thats on hook up - chances are you are going to mix electrics & water.

5. A foam extinguisher is basically water + washing up liquid so marginally better but please note it usually takes 2 full size fire engines full of water to put out a car fire with professionals doing it - do you think you can do better with a tiny hand held extinguisher?

6. fire blankets are brilliant but do you know how to use one? or are you going to be looking for your reading glasses to study the instructions whilst the fire burns. I would suggest taking it out the container holding it properly & try draping it over the hob in a dry run whilst you've got a chance to do it in your own time. and as previously suggested keep it in the door pocket or the front edge of the bench somewhere that you can get it whilst you are on your way out.

7. Probably the most important thing is that a cali is replaceable you are not - even the smallest fire spend your efforts on getting every one clear as your first priority, even burning tyres explode impresively let alone a gas canister.

If you don't believe me ask a fireman what he keeps in his car / at home I would put money on the answer being just a fire blanket & possibly a CO2 extinguisher & if you get the chance to go for some "hands on" training jump at the chance. Until I did the first course I had no idea what I didn't know if that makes sense.

Andy

Thank you Andy. I have learned a lot.

andyinluton said:
I wouldn't worry about a powder extinguisher making a mess of a cali - its your lungs you should worry about. Having been on a couple of fire training courses run by the fire brigade training centre I have actually witnessed the following:

1. Emptying a full size (i.e. the sort you see in an office) water extinguisher into a waste paper basket with lit paper has no effect other than to produce a lot of steam/smoke to disorientate you.

2. doing the same into a chip pan fire will produce a fire ball / spread of burning oil that will probably take out the adjacent pitch as well.

3. The powder extinguishers are useless, if anything comes out (the powder tends to settle & cake together) when they are set off it will be a cloud of powder that causes lung irritation with possible long term damage & have little effect on a fire.

4. A water extinguisher should not be used in a cali thats on hook up - chances are you are going to mix electrics & water.

5. A foam extinguisher is basically water + washing up liquid so marginally better but please note it usually takes 2 full size fire engines full of water to put out a car fire with professionals doing it - do you think you can do better with a tiny hand held extinguisher?

6. fire blankets are brilliant but do you know how to use one? or are you going to be looking for your reading glasses to study the instructions whilst the fire burns. I would suggest taking it out the container holding it properly & try draping it over the hob in a dry run whilst you've got a chance to do it in your own time. and as previously suggested keep it in the door pocket or the front edge of the bench somewhere that you can get it whilst you are on your way out.

7. Probably the most important thing is that a cali is replaceable you are not - even the smallest fire spend your efforts on getting every one clear as your first priority, even burning tyres explode impresively let alone a gas canister.

If you don't believe me ask a fireman what he keeps in his car / at home I would put money on the answer being just a fire blanket & possibly a CO2 extinguisher & if you get the chance to go for some "hands on" training jump at the chance. Until I did the first course I had no idea what I didn't know if that makes sense.

Andy

I'm a retired Firefighter (retired in April served 27yrs as a Firefighter on a busy whole time station). Get a carbon monoxide detector and smoke detector by all means. Forget about any firefighting equipment. I've attended no end of incidents over the years where people have ended up with all sorts of injuries from "having a go" at tackling a fire.
For the record, we chose a Calli Beach partly due the fact that there are no cooking facilities inside to contend with! I do carry a dry powder extinguisher ( I know how to use one and I know its limitations ).I've never been a fan of fire blankets, if you really must tackle a pan fire, a pan lid is FAR more effective in my experience.
Best advice I can give anyone, is quite simple......Get out & Stay out!
Possesions can be replaced, end of sermon.

Who's frying chips in a chip pan in their Cali then, own up!

burko73 said:
Who's frying chips in a chip pan in their Cali then, own up!

Goodness that would be silly,

Although I do bring my bbq in and use it inside when its raining ...

Hello all, another newbie question I'm afraid!

I have read on here that there should be a fire blanket supplied alongside the first aid kit and warning triangle. Having opened the first aid kit out to familiarise myself with what's inside it, there is no sign of a fire blanket. Is this still supposed to be standard equipment on a 2014/15 build SE and, if so, can someone tell me where to find it please? :thumb

:thanks
I hope you all had a great Christmas!

Maud

No fire blanket in my 2011 SE, just triangle & first aid kit.
This must be something VW decided to include to help justify a price hike at some point after 2011.

Thanks, Larkrise and Andy. I guess VW have changed their mind about including it again then. It's not a problem as I have one that I can put in there anyway but wanted to check that it was there if it was supposed to be, if you see what I mean! :D

Maud

There was one in mine - oct 2013.

Mind you, with my cooking I'm surprised the thing wasn't fitted out with sprinklers, CO2 drenchers and automatic GPS route navigation to the nearest fire station :oops:

Back