Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Alcantara/leather dilemma

C

CALROE1

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Hi Hoping to order new Cal next Saturday but have not been able to see the alcantara/leather classic grey anthracite in a vehicle only in brochure. Does anyone know if this seating colour option matches the seat base plastic area and floor covering as all we can tell is it is a light grey tone?

Also has anyone any advice on which insurance company to use?

I have the alcantara and leather option and it all matches the rest of the inside extremely well, so a good choice. Not sure how to clean it though and it is light grey. So thinking about seat covers but also thinking that I went for the option to avoid the seat covers???

Mazvw42 said:
I have the alcantara and leather option and it all matches the rest of the inside extremely well, so a good choice. Not sure how to clean it though and it is light grey. So thinking about seat covers but also thinking that I went for the option to avoid the seat covers???
:hello
the leather is easy to clean , stay away from baby wipes as they have been known to remove colour from leathers, we use wd40 for heavy staining or grim , then using mr muscle green window cleaner from asda diluted at one part cleaner 3 parts water to remove the wd40 , the alcantara can be cleaned with mild soapy water , be aware there have been incidents where the alcantara have ended up with white water marks after cleaning. :sad , I would be tempted to use demineralised water to clean them. try to let it dry naturally , don't use heat as they could shrink.
ade :cool

mid england retrims said:
Mazvw42 said:
:hello
the leather is easy to clean , stay away from baby wipes as they have been known to remove colour from leathers, we use wd40 for heavy staining or grim , then using mr muscle green window cleaner from asda diluted at one part cleaner 3 parts water to remove the wd40 , the alcantara can be cleaned with mild soapy water , be aware there have been incidents where the alcantara have ended up with white water marks after cleaning. :sad , I would be tempted to use demineralised water to clean them. try to let it dry naturally , don't use heat as they could shrink.
ade :cool

Thank you. I had the van protected with a paint treatment called Gen3 and that came with a bag of 3 cleaners one of which was leather cleaner. I have used that on the leather and it works fine and last week used a baby wipe on the alcantara, but I will now revert to your recommendation!! Cheers.

I feel I must stand up for the poor old baby wipe ;)

They are cheap, I have a a pack always in the Cali and they have never left a residue stain on the leather or alcantara. When you use them on the alcantara you have to blend the area round the stain so it dries without a tide mark.

I declare I have no financial connection or shares in any baby wipe products. Other non-baby orientated wipes are available ;)

Andy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

slowcoach65 said:
I feel I must stand up for the poor old baby wipe ;)

They are cheap, I have a a pack always in the Cali and they have never left a residue stain on the leather or alcantara. When you use them on the alcantara you have to blend the area round the stain so it dries without a tide mark.

I declare I have no financial connection or shares in any baby wipe products. Other non-baby orientated wipes are available ;)

Andy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
There is nothing poor about baby wipes, someone must be making shed loads of money out of the idea :hello

I'm a total newbie on this forum, just purchased a high mileage 2007 vehicle with the Alcantara / leather combination - it pretty clear that leather wears way better than the Alcantara, so if you plan fairly 'light use' it probably doesn't matter, but if I could have just leather it would be a 'no brainer' retrospectively. Most man made 'non woven' artificial suedes are going to struggle to compete with leather for wear & stain resistance long term, but hey do look & feel nice initially.

This seemed to rather shamelessly turn into insurance salesmen trying to sell you insurance - I hope this isn't how this forum works - time will tell and hopefully my response is a little more "on topic".

Stephen