Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

All geared up: my all-seasons all-purpose T6 Ocean interior & organisation :

Agree with Welsh Gas. When I set off for a trip around Morocco April/May 2017 I took a kettle, pan, cup, cutlery and a sleeping bag. Got supplies on a day to day basis.

IMG_2323.jpg
I rest my case! :D

I must admit to having a portapotti that fits under the sink. Spent June touring Italy and took my flat mate and her dog. She was concerned about toilet facilities although never needed to use the mobile bog.
Usually travel alone but this time my friend took enough stuff to fill the van! I take washing gear and very little clothing as I opt for somewhere hot, Morocco for choice.

"Ceci n'est pas une pipe", nor is it just a camper. From time to time it serves as a 'recovery cabin' at the parking after a too happy dinner ;). I improved my 'stealth' curtain solution by simply fixing the clamps straight at the ceiling. This way I no longer have to open the shutter (where I've stored the window ventilation grids now). And as extra advantages it reinforces my storage net fixation, and avoids that the shutter each time slides open while driving. These clamps also serve me well for drying towels at the awning, hanging the water funnel from the rail, holding my drawing paper, closing the potato chips bags, ...

View attachment 34547 View attachment 34546 View attachment 34548 View attachment 34549
Aubergine, on a pedantic note, I understand Magritte’s “ceci n’est pas une pipe” to mean that it is a picture of a pipe therefore cannot be smoked. Your beautifully equipped van can obviously be lived in and driven! Bravo!

Ok I need to get my table done like that!!! :D

Where did you get the map and how did you do it?

Well, I started with a simple plan,... ;)
Bought a laminated roadmap you find in bookshops specialized in traveling etc and glued it on the table surface (since I did not find classically printed wrapping with such a high resolution). First I cut the width of the table, stuck it tempory at the table, then traced both curved ends with my nail and then a cutter through the map.
Problem is that also the back was plastic coated. And since I left the day after gluing it, I noticed that the glue underneath was not solid yet, and left some unattached spots. So will have to redo the whole thing again.
Es la vida...
(Anyone used a special glue on those table laminates?)

Last edited:
I was thinking of a vinyl wrap used with a print on it for mine. I dont like the ones available freely so it may be a custom print :)

We've taken inspiration from Auberg-ine too. We bought some fablon and have done both tables and our Briwy shelf to match. Took about 4 hours to take the time to do a nice job of it, but we love it!

upload_2018-8-1_11-37-25.png

upload_2018-8-1_11-38-43.png

I was thinking of a vinyl wrap used with a print on it for mine. I don't like the ones available freely so it may be a custom print :)

My 'kitchen table' is custom laminated print as well, but I did not find high-resolution vinyl print, so I went to a photo print shop, which laminated the photo, and added a self-adhesive film. Unfortunately not compatible with the table surface. Still looking for the right kind of glue.

Edit: finally I've put the old map on again with double-sided carpet tape (100% of the table surface). And it holds perfectly.

Last edited:
... in the meantime, while cruising through sunny Spain, I often got disturbed by not being able to see the GPS info (glare, reflexion, finger traces). So I made me this sunscreen on the spot, made out of one of my plastic folders. Can be inclined as much as needed, while radio button still stays accessible.
IMG_E2533.jpg

We've taken inspiration from Auberg-ine too. We bought some fablon and have done both tables and our Briwy shelf to match. Took about 4 hours to take the time to do a nice job of it, but we love it!

View attachment 36102

View attachment 36103
I really want to see if I can get a Ocean table in my beach. Loving that fablon looks good.

Two things someone should sell as there’s a market :

- laminated euro maps for the table
- patterned fitted sheets for the upstairs bed

Calis are nice, but the interior design is very office like

Getting very lazy in these easy folding relax chairs. Compact and just the exact length of the booth ànd with these essential can holders ;). Ideal for sandy or uneven surfaces. Their bags are also very handy to carry them as backpacks, like down there at the creek.

IMG_E2552.jpg IMG_2279.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, it happened... Forgot the key still in the contact after lifting the roof, with the radio on, in a remote place, ...with a flat mains battery as result. One only learns from his own mistakes, even when warned...
So lately I bought me the NOCO Genius GB40 jumpstarter and a compact tire-shaped air compressor to be stored under the hood. Together with the classic jump- and hook-on-cables and a bottle of oil this 'hidden compartment' got pretty well packed by now.
IMG_E2559.jpg
Still, driving around in the heat of the latest season I became a bit scared having that booster in this area. So I reorganized the space underneath the passenger seat, which now maintains the Genius, a window defrost spray, the first-aid kit, fluo jackets, a bag of fresh lavender, a magnetic defrost window cover (which I also start using as an efficient sun protector in summer), and The Bible on top ;).
IMG_E2560.jpg
Trying now to store some extra 10l of Gasoline under the hood, avoiding another stress, like missing a service station at the long French highways last trip. Please tell me if this would be as risky as the booster!

Continuing my quest for more storage optimization and tenfold usage of gear, I combined my rotan container with the Luggable Loo bucket. This way it becomes a coffee table, a stool, a footrest, a storage for loose items (or the Outwell 2p sleeping bag), an ice bucket, a fishing stool, a waste bin, a loo (+ Care-Bags!), ... while the bucket can still be used independently for (dish-) washing, or carrying water. Just had to squeeze the handle of the LL a little bit.
So if somebody around here might need a completely new Thetford Porta-Potti with cabinet frame....?

IMG_2625.jpg IMG_2632.jpg Auberg-ine ice bucket.jpg
auberg-ine wc cool.jpg IMG_2624.jpg

Some month too late, but well,
Ice cube machine:

IMG_2641.jpg (foam between other bottles touching back wall, fridge at 5)

Is there somebody else who keeps his fridge permanently on? Lifespan expectations this way?

Last edited:
Ice cube machine:

View attachment 36753 (foam between other bottles touching back wall, fridge at 5)

Is there somebody else who keeps his fridge permanently on? Lifespan expectations this way?
Do you keep food in another fridge ?
The drinks fridge looks well stocked up. :cheers

No way would i store extra diesel under the bonnet.

I agree Westfalia. A technician told me there's not a risk since diesel is not expanding or as inflammable as gasoline. But as you see on the updated picture at first page, I store it now in the boot.

Last edited:
Ice cube machine:

View attachment 36753 (foam between other bottles touching back wall, fridge at 5)

What setting do you put the fridge on to get ice cube? And does it work well?

When I start with pre-frozen bags I can keep them for days at 5. I put it at max when I'm on the road and have to make fresh ones.
I will look for thin plastic honeycomb panels to better protect the rest of the back surface.

My DIY outdoors (kitchen) tablet, under the tailgate. A 8mm sliding MDF board hung at the rail hooks (which makes that I can adapt towards horizontal position), stored underneath the mattress. I also made a plastic velcro windscreen to avoid smoke blowing inside the cabin. I keep it rolled up around the bottom profile and hung at the bed frame.

IMG_E2703 (1).jpg IMG_2686.jpg

Last edited:
You can only use them sliding when the bed is horizontal. You then simply click them between the joint of the ceiling. Can have quit some kilo's on it (see fruit basket). I've put a little bit of double tape at the hook to avoid that they fall when you raise the ceiling. If you want to use them in both situations than you just have to screw them in the horizontal part of the frame (self-tapping screws) in the position you prefer most. Personally I plan to buy some more and just fix them permanently.
View attachment 34393

Another DIY use of these cheap Ikea hooks. Here now as my new sketch&tracing paper holder. Just squeezed in two plastic corks I had laying in the drawer. Should also work for paper towels, a kitchen rail,...

IMG_E2671.jpg IMG_E2711.jpg

Last edited:
Some people are skeptical of how the coat hanger at the front chair can be dismounted easily, or if the chair still can swivel.
In fact, it's removed in a second with a quarter turn of the 2 knobs, and it just fits into the grip at the A-pillar when swiveled:
IMG_E2890.jpg IMG_E2888.jpg

The storage of the sliding window security air vent kept disturbing me. It's a fragile thing, and I noticed that when you squeeze it by accident, or you put something on top, the curve of it (fitting the curve of the car) flattens, and so makes it more difficult to fit.
So I drilled 4 holes through the ceiling and fixed 2 bungees through them, starting from the hollow ceiling part.
No more rattling, no more special protection needed. And right at hand.

IMG_E2898.jpg IMG_E2899.jpg
Edit: I attached 2 LED spots for extra working light above the table:
unnamed-3.jpg unnamed-1.jpg

Last edited:
Back