Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Light on how I look at my cali.

calibusje

calibusje

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Coast 150
A year later after my last review: the sequel. So, 31000 km, more than half travelling, the rest daily use. I was already planning to post a thread with a few thoughts but waited until after our last big trip.
But first: why am I doing this? Maybe recent cali owners find tips in it. Maybe it can hearten those up who now have issues with their cali. But also: I've been criticized here for expressing some of my opinions about our cali, I've been summoned to travel with it more than to look at it and then recently called a fanboy. I guess people don't really understand how I feel about my cali, so also to create some clarity. Finally: the t6.1 deserves better than what some think of it.
Will this then be nothing but good? You'll see; it will certainly be an honest and personal review. And again a long one :Grin

I'll start. Now, the dimensions (length and height) are still a selling point for me. You can park a cali everywhere and quickly, also underground.
I see the colour ascot grey less than expected and I don't mind, I still like it a lot and makes this free colour a bit more exclusive.
The Control panel at the top that many have issues with: don't be blinded by it. I've read all kinds of things: from software updates to replacing cables to even replacing the batteries. Understandable: due to the very poor information that dealers gave (or even none), especially during the early days of the t6.1, people didn't really know how to use it. Thus came the so-called issues: the auxiliary heating system with it's various workings, the purpose of these and how to use them: The same about the indication of the instantaneous and rapidly changing number of the batteries' usage. Using the camping mode and why. If there had been a decent explanation then, there would have been a lot less negative reports and a better image for the t6.1 but this has also been a saving from Volkswagen: no more decent explanations for the dealers and this for such a heavily changed cali in terms of operation of the camper area compared to the previous one.
I have already mentioned in another thread that I learned a lot at CamperCenter Amersfoort in the Netherlands and since then I use the extra functions that are necessary due to the completely new electronic system of the t6.1. Ours is a very good travel companion that covers its course flawlessly.
Of course, this statement does not apply to those who really have a problem because this can of course also occur. For them I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a quick and adequate solution.
Something else: I still use the leveler feature regularly when travelling.

The leisure batteries: they are very well suited to their task and can even be fully charged thanks to the max. charging function that we do not need solar panels. You can also use the maximum load function perfectly while stationary (with the engine running, of course). We rarely stay in the same place for more than 1 night: I bought a small campervan for touring convenience (and the 2m height limit for the underground car parks that we see the benefit of on each trip). Everyone has their own idea of course.
Driving then: no remarks during travel; good for everyday use. It is mainly the combination of the engine (in our case 150 hp) and dsg gearbox that does it. The high seat and nice steering wheel finish it off.

I still find the dashboard beautiful and useful when it come to the storage compartments (and even a bit luxurious compared to a basic dashboard of a t6.1). I use the adaptive speed controller a lot and like it.
The gap at the bottom of the front window is annoying when small things fall in, but it was solved with buying a rubber, specially made for it. The other options I listed then all prove to be useful to us and glad I chose them.. except the automatic high beam, I've known much better ones but it is what it is and I do use it but with less satisfaction.
There are obvious savings in a few places with the t6.1: no felt in the glove box, the button on the center console to lock up before going to sleep gone, I can live with those but worse, I think the general final quality inspection (and maybe also the check on newer parts) has been strongly weakened. The last (double-layered) canvas may be a result of this, but I will not say anything more about it. Our single-layer canvas is waterproof but it does come loose in the top left corner - and continues to come off after returning in pushing the rail so needs to be resolved once more, the dealer knows it. We use the panorama opening in the front of the canvas a lot and it is nice to have. The camping lighting in the roof is a another plus.

The cabinets appear to be of good quality, even as good as those in our previous t4 with its highly regarded westfalia furniture. They are lighter in use and can hold at least as much as in our Westfalia. Only: the left door mechanism of today is very fragile and I suspect that this is because the right sliding door can withstand it and after a while it breaks off a piece. I took the handle apart and put it back together with acetone. Was very sturdy... until a little later it broke again. Not so good design. Anyway, that doesn't make me think our coast is inferior to the westy; I know that the t6.1 cali will probably not last as long as a t4 westy, but it doesn't have to for me: it has to be reliable from day one and this for many years. I'm not going to drive it for 30 years that's for sure but if it continues like this I'll be very happy. I expect it too. Software is software and things are going rather badly with the software department of Volkswagen (Cariad) but once this is in order, I see no problems to be able to use a t6.1 cali correctly for many years to come in terms of electronics.

Also with us, in the very beginnig, the refrigerator was once inexplicable turned off (but afterwards I suspect that this had to do with the voltage of the batteries being slightly too low; with us it happened while driving). No furher issues: the fridge is still a blast.
The plastic basic inner floor turns out to be not nearly as wear-resistant as previously thought: after 15 months and used for all kinds of things: daily use with the children in the back, extra seat in/out, traveling with the four of us and occasionally to a container park, but with thick cardboard as protection: still a lot of scratches, especially in the aluminum rail inserts and the hard plastic end pieces of the rails.
The roller blinds all around are nicely integrated, but no better than normal curtains: they keep coming up slightly, which is quite disturbing. I'm thinking of a possible solution but have yet to implement it.
The fact that no window can be opened at the back is a loss in our opinion (and is counteracted during hot nights with the suspension hook for the tailgate).
VW's comfort mattress itself didn't turn out to be the best and we cut a decathlon foldable foam mat into pieces the same size as the parts of the mattress and stuck it in there. Sleeps a lot better.
For the bicycle rack, which I still find a cumbersome thing and I think the previous ones are nicer, I plan to have a luggage bag made to hang on the folded rack. A plan not yet implemented.

With some judicious organization, the boot space is actually very voluminous (we don't have a pull-out tray and we don't need it at the moment). For us, also no extra drawers in the kitchen cupboard on the right or shelves in the large hanging cupboard (what a wonderful cupboard to stuff your coats, larger bags and wine bottles and so on). I understand many already bought and installed those items and are happy with them; we just organize differently.

What do I miss or do I think I miss: the LED headlights and maybe the towbar, but that's about it. Still this: if I knew that the smartphone inductive charging option wouldn't suit us, I wouldn't take it and spend the money on the digital screen. This screen was not a must for me, but now the inductive charging function turns out not to be either.

The multimedia system (discover media pro): when it comes to CarPlay it's a roulette; the navigation works ok and I'm glad I have this because already a few times we ended up without internet connection and there you are with all your navigation apps on the smartphone. But! Far too expensive as an option and therefore not entirely satisfied with it.

Big point of annoyance that came up then (I listed it as something to keep an eye on at the time, I didn't know how bad it was going to get) and it took me almost half a year to convince myself to continue and not to give up on the cali and kept our dealer on top of it: the creaking at the top of the front window and this turned out to be an issue that happened before with others; relatively easy to solve (and under warranty) but before I knew exactly what was going on, it was a long search on the internet for me. The dealer was already at his wits end but was then able to solve it with the new info I had given them. Mind you, I was about to sell our cali and wait for what the successor would be. That's how bad it was with how I felt. I therefore understand well some reactions from people who also have a problem that almost drives them insane. All I can say is: I'm so glad I didn't give up and kept going.

Consumption: even less than in the beginning: let's say a good 8 liters over a long time (35 mpg). Satisfied with that number. Occasionally I drive in a higher speed by going to manual and lowering one or two gears for a much better combustion so things don't get clogged.

In the meantime, our savings book has also been replenished after our purchase in 2022 with the price tag of 2020, I must add. Is the cali worth the money? Yes, for me it is because he is our perfect travel companion; that makes it one of the best purchases we've ever made.
I'm going to finish: Is the t6.1 without criticism? No. Yet, in those 15 months we have had not only some annoying big and small -now resolved- issues with our coast, but also a lot of wonderful trips, large and small and have already created masses of good memories for young and old and that is what matters to us. As stated: this would be an honest review of our cali, strongly influenced by our travels ;)

Greetings
Calibusje

IMG_9563.jpeg
Picos de Europa, Spain. July 2023

My first review after three months: the beginning :)

Last edited:
Had my T6.1 Cali Ocean since Jan 2022 - nothing has gone wrong except the handle on the left sliding door under the cooker which broke on our last trip. New part ordered for €20 delivered so I'm not really bothered. Now over 30K on the clock and I love it. No sagging roof, nothing, it is a very comfortable mile-muncher - ACC is awesome - a bit quirky as it has no electrically operated hand-brake so the driver has to apply the brakes when it stops - but once you get used to it it's not a problem. I may have got lucky, but this van is a keeper, so much so that when the lease was up I paid off the credit and now own it fully - was always the plan as I wasn't sure if I would keep it or not.

Excellent updated 15 month ownership review. I think the majority of Cali owners are going to face a few niggles, more than likely early on. The key is to take it in your stride, find a responsive dealer and get them addressed.
I ordered a well spec'd Coast Edition from the get go. The one option I wished I'd checked is the double glazing for the leisure area.
Like you I don't feel the need to install solar on the roof. I have an Ecoflow Delta 2 and keep it charged up using the 12V cigarette socket when driving. I have a 100W bookleaf solar panel for emergency use but it's quite slow and I can only see a real benefit when camped up for a full 24 hours or more.
I use Really Useful Box Co boxes in the boot to maximise storage and organise things since I don't have a shelf either. Other changes I've made are to use packing cubes for clothing, a Shoeboxx at the entrance to store shoes and storage trays for things I need often and that don't take up much room. I find accessing the sliding cupboards under the cooker and sink less than convenient especially when bed or table are set up.
The Coast suits my lifestyle now that I'm back in Europe, perfectly. It's not a daily drive as I walk and cycle most of the time, although could easily be used for such. I have already given it a small ding on the rear bumper (a love kiss with water stand pipe) so have in effect made it mine.
The biggest change I have to make now the Discomfort mattress has been replaced by a Calibed Prestige is having access to an e-bike. I feel nervous having a bike on a towbar rack as it seems quite vulnerable to thieves. Maybe a cover will help by making it a little less enticing. Or I will get a folding bike and keep it inside in the trunk. Still debating with myself.
With all the negativity recently regarding the leaking MY23 double skinned bellows I feel it's important to keep things in perspective and to celebrate what is a fantastic and versatile bit of kit. I wouldn't own anything else in this class of camper van, although I caught myself stealing more than a few glances at a Mercedes Sprinter based Hymer recently. Maybe when I retire in a few years. .........

Keep enjoying the journey which is what it's all about.

A year later after my last review: the sequel. So, 31000 km, more than half travelling, the rest daily use. I was already planning to post a thread with a few thoughts but waited until after our last big trip.
But first: why am I doing this? Maybe recent cali owners find tips in it. Maybe it can hearten those up who now have issues with their cali. But also: I've been criticized here for expressing some of my opinions about our cali, I've been summoned to travel with it more than to look at it and then recently called a fanboy. I guess people don't really understand how I feel about my cali, so also to create some clarity. Finally: the t6.1 deserves better than what some think of it.
Will this then be nothing but good? You'll see; it will certainly be an honest and personal review. And again a long one :Grin

I'll start. Now, the dimensions (length and height) are still a selling point for me. You can park a cali everywhere and quickly, also underground.
I see the colour ascot grey less than expected and I don't mind, I still like it a lot and makes this free colour a bit more exclusive.
The Control panel at the top that many have issues with: don't be blinded by it. I've read all kinds of things: from software updates to replacing cables to even replacing the batteries. Understandable: due to the very poor information that dealers gave (or even none), especially during the early days of the t6.1, people didn't really know how to use it. Thus came the so-called issues: the auxiliary heating system with it's various workings, the purpose of these and how to use them: The same about the indication of the instantaneous and rapidly changing number of the batteries' usage. Using the camping mode and why. If there had been a decent explanation then, there would have been a lot less negative reports and a better image for the t6.1 but this has also been a saving from Volkswagen: no more decent explanations for the dealers and this for such a heavily changed cali in terms of operation of the camper area compared to the previous one.
I have already mentioned in another thread that I learned a lot at CamperCenter Amersfoort in the Netherlands and since then I use the extra functions that are necessary due to the completely new electronic system of the t6.1. Ours is a very good travel companion that covers its course flawlessly.
Of course, this statement does not apply to those who really have a problem because this can of course also occur. For them I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a quick and adequate solution.

The leisure batteries: they are very well suited to their task and can even be fully charged thanks to the max. charging function that we do not need solar panels. You can also use the maximum load function perfectly while stationary (with the engine running, of course). We rarely stay in the same place for more than 1 night: I bought a small campervan for touring convenience (and the 2m height limit for the underground car parks that we see the benefit of on each trip). Everyone has their own idea of course.
Driving then: no remarks during travel; good for everyday use. It is mainly the combination of the engine (in our case 150 hp) and dsg gearbox that does it. The high seat and nice steering wheel finish it off.

I still find the dashboard beautiful and useful when it come to the storage compartments (and even a bit luxurious compared to a basic dashboard of a t6.1). I use the adaptive speed controller a lot and like it.
The gap at the bottom of the front window is annoying when small things fall in, but it was solved with buying a rubber, specially made for it. The other options I listed then all prove to be useful to us and glad I chose them.. except the automatic high beam, I've known much better but it is what it is and I do use it but with less satisfaction.
There are obvious savings in a few places with the t6.1: no felt in the glove box, the button on the center console to lock up before going to sleep, I can live with those but worse, I think the general final quality inspection (and maybe also the check on newer parts) has been strongly weakened. The last (double-layered) canvas may be a result of this, but I will not say anything more about it. Our single-layer canvas is waterproof but it does come loose in the top left corner - and continues to come off after returning in pushing the rail so needs to be resolved once more, the dealer knows it. We use the panorama opening in the front of the canvas a lot and it is nice to have. The camping lighting in the roof is a another plus.

The cabinets appear to be of good quality, even as good as those in our previous t4 with its highly regarded westfalia furniture. They are lighter in use and can hold at least as much as in our Westfalia. Only: the left door mechanism of today is very fragile and I suspect that this is because the right sliding door can withstand it and after a while it breaks off a piece. I took the handle apart and put it back together with acetone. Was very sturdy... until a little later it broke again. Not so good design. Anyway, that doesn't make me think our coast is inferior to the westy; I know that the t6.1 cali will probably not last as long as a t4 westy, but it doesn't have to for me: it has to be reliable from day one and this for many years. I'm not going to drive it for 30 years that's for sure but if it continues like this I'll be very happy. I expect it too. Software is software and things are going rather badly with the software department of Volkswagen (Cariad) but once this is in order, I see no problems to be able to use a t6.1 cali correctly for many years to come in terms of electronics.

Also with us the refrigerator was once inexplicable turned off (but afterwards I suspect that this had to do with the voltage of the batteries being slightly too low; with us it happened while driving). No furher issues: the fridge is still a blast.
The plastic basic inner floor turns out to be not nearly as wear-resistant as previously thought: after 15 months and used for all kinds of things: daily use with the children in the back, extra seat in/out, traveling with the four of us and occasionally to a container park, but with thick cardboard as protection: still a lot of scratches, especially in the aluminum rail inserts and the hard plastic end pieces of the rails.
The roller blinds all around are nicely integrated, but no better than normal curtains: they keep coming up slightly, which is quite disturbing. I'm thinking of a possible solution but have yet to implement it.
The fact that no window can be opened at the back is a loss in our opinion (and is counteracted during hot nights with the suspension hook for the tailgate).
VW's comfort mattress itself didn't turn out to be the best and we cut a decathlon foldable foam mat into pieces the same size as the parts of the mattress and stuck it in there. Sleeps a lot better.
For the bicycle rack, which I still find a cumbersome thing and I think the previous ones are nicer, I plan to have a luggage bag made to hang on the folded rack. A plan not yet implemented.

With some judicious organization, the boot space is actually very voluminous (we don't have a pull-out tray and we don't need it at the moment). For us, also no extra drawers in the kitchen cupboard on the right or shelves in the large hanging cupboard (what a wonderful cupboard to stuff your coats, larger bags and wine bottles and so on). I understand many already bought and installed those items and are happy with them; we just organize differently.

What do I miss or do I think I miss: the LED headlights and maybe the towbar, but that's about it. Still this: if I knew that the smartphone inductive charging option wouldn't suit us, I wouldn't take it and spend the money on the digital screen. This screen was not a must for me, but now the inductive charging function turns out not to be either.

The multimedia system (discover media pro): when it comes to CarPlay it's a roulette; the navigation works ok and I'm glad I have this because already a few times we ended up without internet connection and there you are with all your navigation apps on the smartphone. But! Far too expensive as an option and therefore not entirely satisfied with it.

Big point of annoyance that came up then (I listed it as something to keep an eye on at the time, I didn't know how bad it was going to get) and it took me almost half a year to convince myself to continue and not to give up on the cali and kept our dealer on top of it: the creaking at the top of the front window and this turned out to be an issue that happened before with others; relatively easy to solve (and under warranty) but before I knew exactly what was going on, it was a long search on the internet for me. The dealer was already at his wits end but was then able to solve it with the new info I had given them. Mind you, I was about to sell our cali and wait for what the successor would be. That's how bad it was with how I felt. I therefore understand well some reactions from people who also have a problem that almost drives them insane. All I can say is: I'm so glad I didn't give up and kept going.

Consumption: even less than in the beginning: let's say a good 8 liters over a long time (35 mpg). Satisfied with that number. Occasionally I drive in a higher speed by going to manual and lowering one or two gears for a much better combustion so things don't get clogged.

In the meantime, our savings book has also been replenished after our purchase in 2022 with the price tag of 2020, I must add. Is the cali worth the money? Yes, for me it is because he is our perfect travel companion; that makes it one of the best purchases we've ever made.
I'm going to finish: Is the t6.1 without criticism? No. Yet, in those 15 months we have had not only some annoying big and small -now resolved- issues with our coast, but also a lot of wonderful trips, large and small and have already created masses of good memories for young and old and that is what matters to us. As stated: this would be an honest review of our cali, strongly influenced by our travels ;)

Greetings
Calibusje

View attachment 113355

What do you keep in the big box at the back? Where is it from?

Thank you

The gap at the bottom of the front window is annoying when small things fall in, but it was solved with buying a rubber, specially made for it. The other options I listed then all prove to be useful to us and glad I chose them.. except the automatic high beam, I've known much better but it is what it is and I do use it but with less satisfaction.
There are obvious savings in a few places with the t6.1: no felt in the glove box, the button on the center console to lock up before going to sleep, I can live with those but worse, I think the general final quality inspection (and maybe also the check on newer parts) has been strongly weakened. The last (double-layered) canvas may be a result of this, but I will not say anything more about it. Our single-layer canvas is waterproof but it does come loose in the top left corner - and continues to come off after returning in pushing the rail so needs to be resolved once more, the dealer knows it. We use the panorama opening in the front of the canvas a lot and it is nice to have. The camping lighting in the roof is a another plus.

Also with us the refrigerator was once inexplicable turned off (but afterwards I suspect that this had to do with the voltage of the batteries being slightly too low; with us it happened while driving). No furher issues: the fridge is still a blast.

Greetings
Calibusje

View attachment 113355

Thank you, very interesting. Where did you get the rubber seal for the bottom of the windscreen?

Thank you, very interesting. Where did you get the rubber seal for the bottom of the windscreen?
hi, sorry forgot but just google 'Dashboard gap filler trim for volkswagen transporter' or something similar and you'll find a hit; it's cheap and actually a lot of rubber trim would do to fill the gap.
s-l1200.webp

What do you keep in the big box at the back? Where is it from?

Thank you
hi, mainly lighter items: beach equipment, an air lounge, drying rack,... and slightly more voluminous items that fit (such as a basketball for the daughter :)).
However, I have measured the dimensions of the largest item contained in it and that we would like to take it with us if necessary. I'm going to have a sturdy bag made to hang at the folded in bike rack. The box can hold a lot, but I still find this new rack folded out sticking out just a little too far so looking for something else. Too bad for the box, but I'll keep it for another year and then I'll see if I still need it after testing with the bag (that still needs to be made). If not, somebody I know wants to use it.
The box itself I bought second-hand for 50 euros some years ago, it's a fiamma ultra box 320 and I made the pieces myself to mount it on the rack (before we used it on another bike rack with our t4 westy). To hold up the tailgate I use a simple aluminum u-profile cut to length.
364080393_6793280720705613_4443836895282537460_n.jpg

Last edited:
hi, sorry forgot but just google 'Dashboard gap filler trim for volkswagen transporter' or something similar and you'll find a hit; it's cheap and actually a lot of rubber trim would do to fill the gap.
s-l1200.webp

We got one of these too, you just need to cut wee bit off and it fits really well, stops things sliding down behind dashboard.

Had my 6.1 Beach for 16 months now and used for long and short trips. So far all good except for the quality of the plastic under seat drawer on the rear 2 seat bench. It’s very flimsy and easy catches and cracks when opening and closing. I use it all the time for gas stove, kettle, cups and drinks for easy access so disappointed that it can’t handle regular use.

Had my 6.1 Beach for 16 months now and used for long and short trips. So far all good except for the quality of the plastic under seat drawer on the rear 2 seat bench. It’s very flimsy and easy catches and cracks when opening and closing. I use it all the time for gas stove, kettle, cups and drinks for easy access so disappointed that it can’t handle regular use.
Hi, I guess you mean the plastic front? Or is it the handles? We use that drawer also a lot but have no problems with it yet.
Anyway, good to read that you have no further issues with your cali. Have fun with it!

Hi, I guess you mean the plastic front? Or is it the handles? We use that drawer also a lot but have no problems with it yet.
Anyway, good to read that you have no further issues with your cali. Have fun with it!
The plastic front has cracked at the side flap. Plus the handle spring has gone so the handle is floppy - although it still functions. will address with VW on next service