Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

All in Plan / extended warranty: mixed thoughts...

U

uniqueadventures

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hi All,
I'm wondering if anyone has any insight into how they decide what is and what isn't covered with the extended warranty...
I have mixed feelings about it and I'm a bit confused. In some respects I feel I can't complain at all because I know I have undoubtedly benefitted from purchasing it; I purchased the 2 year service, MOT and extended warranty plan just around the time my man. warranty ran out. My feeling at the time was that the cost of the services and the MOTs was not far off the total cost of the plan and I could spread the cost monthly for no extra charge, with the added benefit of the warranty and breakdown (although I have this throught the bank anyway). Within a few months the screen on the radio/entertainment malfunctioned and I got a replacement on warranty - this saving immediately paid for the plan and some! A few months later the heating remained on cold permanently, no heating in the middle of winter. Again this was repaired under warranty and involved a tiny part, but apparently almost complete removal of the dash. I dread to think what the cost would have been if I had been paying! So, I know I have benefitted hugely already.
However, I've since been to the dealer about a number of other issues and have been told (after they checked with the warranty manager) that they aren't covered by the warranty - some I can see why perhaps they might not be covered, others less so...I'd be interested in your opinions and I wonder whether they have a threshold value that they will cover under the warranty before just refusing everything above this? As is often the case, the small print is not really clear.

The sliding window on the passenger side was leaking - they initially seemed to think it was covered and then gave me some story about the pins being bent so it wasn't after all...(on a previous california I had the mechanism for the sliding window replaced under warranty because the mechanism wasn't shutting properly!? which makes question this).

The passenger door bottom leading edge trim/seal retaining clips seem to have either broken or come out and the trim is flapping around. I can accept that perhaps this could be due to accidental damage and therefore not covered. (but have to wonder whether the cost of a few clips vs the goodwill is a good trade off for them?)

The gas strut that holds the roof bed in the raised position has failed on one side. meaning the bed won't stay in the raised position. I really can't understand why this isn't something that would be covered?

I'd appreciate your thoughts and experiences. Should I just suck it up and be glad I've already saved big? (don't get me wrong I am grateful and feel pretty fortunate already, but what if I hadn't had those other jobs done? I'd be feeling pretty hard done by if they refused to replace the gas strut as a minimum!)
Or should I escalate it and get a bit more pushy?

Thanks in advance. Jon

Back