Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Alsace Campsites

C

Calimark

VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
We are going to the Black Forest and then down to Alsace in the June half term. We intend to use our ACSI card. Does anyone recommend any campsites in Alsace (ACSI not critical) ?

Will be the first big trip away so can't wait :grin:

We're going that way in July, and have been studying the aires book. Any advice would be much appreciated! :thanks

I didn't know what ACSI meant so I looked it up on google - and it says low season only? Is it worth getting one anyway, whether low or high? Would be interested to learn what advantages it offers.

Hi Geoff,

Most ACSI campsite's define low season May/June but I it depends on the campsite. The card provides a reduction in the low season at a fixed price or either EUR 12/14 or 16 for 2 people. We have yet to use but will try to book into one in June during our trip to Alsace.

Calimark, can recommend the ACSI site at Eguisheim (The Three Chateaus). It's located within very easy walking distance of the medieval town (5 mins to get the baguettes in the morning!). The town is great, worth putting aside some time to explore and the vineyards are right behind the campsite with a self guided walk through them.Nice quiet site, good clean facilities and the ordinary rates can be cheaper than ACSI quoted. Some of the pitches are small and awkward for larger vans but no problem with the California. Been twice and would go back again.
There are supermarkets in Colmar, the town itself is also worth a visit, which is a ten minute drive away. You can also use the site to visit Freiburg in Germany, which is approx 25 miles away, across the Rhein (We don't like the site at Freiburg very busy with hundreds of seasonal pitches)
We will also be in the Black Forest last week in June.

Hubert

PS. If you want a site on the way to the Alsace region, can also recommend the ACSI site at Verdun (15-20 min walk outside the town). Again, good clean facilities.

WRT ASCI card ... remember to take it with you ! Having the campsite book with you is not sufficient - just back from 2 weeks in Spain / France so only took the relevant ASCI volume (there are 2) plus a small map book ... and then found the card is in the other volume! So missed out on some discounts - I reckon a minimum of 20% per site, though for the one near Paris it would have been 12/13 euros saving per night - so well worth using it.
Didn't stay in 2012 ASCI-listed sites everywhere, but sites seen to display the ASCI sign even if not listed - I assume they have been listed in previous years and just not removed their 'accreditation' sign - again, without having the card with me, I couldn't accertain if a site would accept it, even if not listed in the 2012 books.

Steve

ACSI inspect sites for general recommendations and the sites may show the ACSI sign for acreditation. Not all sites offer the off-peak discount though. Sites offering the discount will show the blue CC logo on the ACSI sign.

Hubert

Cali all packed and ready to go for Sat morning..can't wait. We are staying a few nights in the Black Forest (Trend Camping near Wolfach) and then down to the Alsace where we are staying in a ACSI site. First big trip so looking forward to really testing it out on the motorways.

Mark, you will have to let us know if you find any good campsites down that way for the four nations meet next year, the way we are going we will need one with over a 500 pitches !

Calimark said:
Cali all packed and ready to go for Sat morning..can't wait. We are staying a few nights in the Black Forest (Trend Camping near Wolfach) and then down to the Alsace where we are staying in a ACSI site. First big trip so looking forward to really testing it out on the motorways.

Are you on the 'Tube' on Saturday Mark?

Stu, we ended up going on DFDS via Dunkirk as we are taking a route via Lille and then Belgium/Lux and down to Strasbourg..Cali is packed with all the gear yet it still doesn't feel as packed as my old 4x4 when we used to go camping.