Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Alternative uses for the VW bike rack

beardie

beardie

Was explaining how the Vw bike rack works to work colleagues who were generally taking the p**s. Explained that you could also dry the washing on it and then joked you could also use for grilling large road kill!!
Any alternative uses?

Our skis (170cm long) fit quite neatly across the bike rack. Better than carrying inside or on the roof.
Also the telescopic ladders strap on quite neatly.

Has anyone tried the the Fiamma Storage bag? What is your experience with this?

Mike

A few years ago went fully loaded like this all the way to Greece, Fiamma rack with storage bag was awesome for BBQ, Food, Awning etc....it also held the Monkey bike in place! Went off road for hours/miles on the border of Kosovo (gf's navigation) - rack didn't budge. :thumb

282397_10150711224835051_3377807_n.jpg

Is that a Dave Cooper style rack? How does it mount on the tow bar and what is the nose weight?

Yup, its a Dave Cooper, rack itself is very light, had to get a special adapter (Pendle TA to BM Adaptor) to make it fit a swan-neck as the racks are designed for flange types.
Bike and rack were well within the 110kg Nose rating of the towbar, the pendle adaptor I think was only rated up to around 75kg however its a solid bit of kit so didn't worry too much about it.

Cool. I didn't know you could get an adapter that would take that much weight. I've carted a little trials bike around with one of the racks in the past but discounted it as an option for moving around a small bike on the Cali. I may have to have a little bit of an investigate....! Thanks.

When we go snowboarding in January, it will be used to put all the boards on.

Californiaman said:
Cool. I didn't know you could get an adapter that would take that much weight. I've carted a little trials bike around with one of the racks in the past but discounted it as an option for moving around a small bike on the Cali. I may have to have a little bit of an investigate....! Thanks.

It looks like Pendle may have discontinued the adapters as they're not listed on their website, best bet would be to call. Its a simple but effective piece of engineering that gets around the limitations of swan-necks.

ta_to_bm.jpg

Alternatively I think you can get the flange towbars here for £70
http://www.pfjones.co.uk/volkswagen...onwards-flange-titan-towbar.html#.UKQcXodNVEI they sit below the bumper so don't look too bad.

I think the bike rack is very good as to dry clothes on {try it}!

Thanks for the info. I can see another (smaller) bike being purchased...!

Jumping onto a very old thread (rather than creating a new one about bike racks).

Bike rack, but no bikes…..

Our new to us T6 Ocean has come with a bike rack (the original VW one I believe).

But…. We don’t have bikes.

Taking it off and storing, or alternatively selling, it are options.

But before I do - what else can I use it for?

We don’t have loads and loads of stuff to travel with, but can these be used for storage boxes / bags with the tailgate still accessible (with bag/box attached)?? Any worth me looking at?

I don’t really want to keep it on and not use it as it’s additional weight / drag (or is it? It’s behind the van so maybe not). Also - is it a pain to give the van a good clean with it attached.

Your thoughts and experience / worldly advice are sought …

This final point may seem very weird - but I think I quite like the look of it on the van - but keeping it just for some bizarre aesthetics seems ridiculous!

Last edited:
Jumping onto a very old thread (rather than creating a new one about bike racks).

Our new to us T6 Ocean has come with a bike rack (the original VW one I believe).

We don’t have loads and loads of stuff to travel with, but can these be used for storage boxes / bags with the tailgate still accessible (with bag/box attached)?? Any worth me looking at?

I don’t really want to keep it on and not use it as it’s additional weight / drag (or is it? It’s behind the van so maybe not). Also - is it a pain to give the van a good clean with it attached.

This final point may seem very weird - but I think I quite like the look of it on the van - but keeping it just for some bizarre aesthetics seems ridiculous!
There are lots of threads on the subject of carrying boxes / bags etc on the bike rack. (Search function will assist or Google)

Use as a clothes drier appears to be the Number one alternative use for the attached bike rack.

We have managed to get a bike, a scooter and a tent on ours recently. Lesson learnt though, when washing grit can get under the plastic protectors where the pads sit, if left too long it acts like sandpaper. :talktothehand

I have been wondering the same…. Ideally I would like to fit a storage box to keep our isup’s in. Haven’t had a chance to look at any close up yet to see how they attach. But fingers crossed someone makes one that’s fits.

Chopped mine up and fitted givi 110l box and Thule snowboard/ski clamps and will still carry one bike on it too6EF07698-DDD5-4F5F-85B1-79F6A94CE354.jpeg09298A0A-6B37-4ED5-98D3-E983855294F7.jpeg

I have been wondering the same…. Ideally I would like to fit a storage box to keep our isup’s in. Haven’t had a chance to look at any close up yet to see how they attach. But fingers crossed someone makes one that’s fits.
A lot seem to be for a roof or tow bar set up - if you find one post it on here

Back