Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Original VW T5 Bike rack conversion

D

DVDF

Hello!

I have the original VW T5 Bike rack that i really like, since it is bomb proof.

The only problem I have is fitting my carbon fibre bikes on there.

One problem is that the mtb frame is very thick so the arm barely grabs it, and i am not very confident if it will hold the bike enough.

Second problem is that you are not allowed to tighten the clamp to much since it can damage the carbon frame.

So the best solution would be if i could fit the arm from Fiamma or something similar (see attachment) , sine the plastic strap can hold almost any bike frame + you can over tighten to damage the frame. Problem is the original VW bike rack is oval shaped, every other manufacturer with arms that i would need has round and thinner rack so it won't fit.

Did someone had similar problem and found the solution?

Thank You!!
David

$T2eC16J,!ywFI1ClTcU2BS(VQon6E!~~60_12.jpg

Have you tried sliding the standard arm along so it can grip the seat post? Depends on the size of your bike but works on medium size mountain bikes.

You could use something like foam wraped around frame to pack it out to fit VW clamp. Or pipe lagging.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk

rupertpoon said:
Have you tried sliding the standard arm along so it can grip the seat post? Depends on the size of your bike but works on medium size mountain bikes.

Sure no problem to grip the seat post, I am just more confident if it grips the frame, i think the bike moves less.

It is the seat post for my carbon frame, I wouldn't want anything clamped to the carbon frame.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I've done hundreds of miles with my bike secured via the seat post and it's never budged.

Pineweasel said:
I've done hundreds of miles with my bike secured via the seat post and it's never budged.

Ditto, I have carbon road and mountain bikes. I tend to mainly use the seat post as it is still really solid. Alternatively I have wrapped the frame in thick foam sheet to avoid any marking and that worked well.

We have done loads of miles down to Pyrenees alps etc and not had any problems so far. I don't tend to tighten the clamps that much mind as I am quite precious!

Back