Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW Bike Rack On or Off?

D

DavidS

Guest User
Thought I'd sound this out as we just fitted a VW bike rack in readiness for a few days in the New Forest...trouble was it took forever, mainly due to the fact that we undid the allen screws on the bottom claws totally so they came out, and spent a long time trying to align the threads to screw them back in again! That was obviously a mistake, but it seemed to be the only way at the time to get the bottom claws over the lip of the tailgate. I suppose there must be a knack to this.

Anyway, having done it, my question is: "Do you leave the bike rack on all the time, or is it better to take it off?"

Thanks.

On all the time, here. I think the van looks really odd without it (and, well, like a van...) it also leaves that huge back window looking very exposed. Completely irrational I know...

True .. I think they add to the looks and I use mine for other things not just bikes...:)

mine has been on since we bought the cali.

bikes on it every weekend....

Same here... permanently on since the van was new.

Used for Bikes, Cooler Box or Little Red Wagon... Anything that'll fit on there and we don't need on the journey.

a little question..having just been away with friends who had a rack (we dont but are thinking about it) i was somewhat disillusioned at how they couldnt get into car parks without taking the bike off as it stuck up too high..seemed a bit of a pain..and that was only 1 bike...we would have 2 so not quite so quick to pop off!
just wondered how often people find this a problem?

Kim

Never. But I guess it depends on where you live/visit!

3 years with the rack permanently on, then discovered how easy it was to remove, and now only put it on when needed. I like the clean lines of a non rack Cali [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

Yes, with cycles on have to stay away from height restricted areas. Must admit the only irritation is on the French Autoroute where I can not use the fast 2 metre height peage lanes and have to queue in the other lanes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD