Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Alternatives to IKEA Kuggis storage for cupboards

18ME

18ME

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204
Planning to do our first night stay at a campsite this coming weekend in our new Cali and just about to sort the cupboard storage out. I’d planned to use the IKEA Kuggis containers as per Sarah and Will from Campervan Time’s YT video (if anyones seen it) but it seems IKEA no longer do the shallower Kuggis box which is 8cm I believe. So now I’m not sure what boxes / drawers etc I’m going to use. I could just through stuff in the cupboards for this weekend as havent really got time to spend googling box sizes this week but do want to find a good solution going forward.

What suggestions have people got?

You can buy the Kuggis box from Amazon, both 8cm deep and 15cm.

I only know because I've just ordered one from them after making the mistake of putting the one we had through the dishwasher. It melted.
The new one hasn't arrived yet so I don't know if they're the same quality as the old IKEA ones.

I-K-E-A KUGGIS Storage Organizer Container Box with lid, white Plastic 18x26x8 cm + 1 Free Shoe Bag

Last edited:
We saw the post by Sarah & Will, we do have some Kuggis, we use for food, but my sister in law put us onto Jagmastare 25 x 35 x20 also from Ikea, they are made of felt and we have found them V usefull.

You can buy the Kuggis box from Amazon, both 8cm deep and 15cm.

I only know because I've just ordered one from them after making the mistake of putting the one we had through the dishwasher. It melted.
The new one hasn't arrived yet so I don't know if they're the same quality as the old IKEA ones.

I-K-E-A KUGGIS Storage Organizer Container Box with lid, white Plastic 18x26x8 cm + 1 Free Shoe Bag
IKEA still sell that size which is £6 but it’s half the size of the one to fit on top of the other which is 26x35x15.
Maybe you could get two of the size you mentioned to fit on top of the larger one?

Some of the shallower Kuggis boxes seem to have been discontinued for at least the past year unfortunately. We currently use a mix of various IKEA boxes plus some others from Homebase that fit alongside them.
IKEA also do a bigger box called the PLUGGIS which might be useful but it is a bit flexible so might not suit heavy contents.

https://www.homebase.co.uk/brands/s...vVEt_-6CT5Aw7d_crOhoC12MQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Our set up is ever evolving and we have various boxes we swap in and out depending on what we're taking. We're currently between trips so stuff isn't particularly organised, but it currently looks like this - boxes are a mix of IKEA and Homebase, selected mainly as the complementary sizes make (relatively) good use of the space.

PXL_20240319_085550135.jpg

PXL_20240319_085534172.jpg

PXL_20240319_085649759.jpg

PXL_20240319_085606527.jpg

Not sure if you know anyone that visits the US regularly as Target do three sizes of boxes that fit perfectly. Brand is Brightroom and I have 2x 5L on the top shelf, underneath I have stacked the 6L on top of the 11L. They all come with lids and are not expensive.

IMG_4326.jpeg

IMG_4327.jpeg

All great ideas.

What’s peoples thoughts on the 50 deg Nord boxes for the kitchen cupboards and rear garage shelves?
Sooooo expensive for storage boxes but do look good and seem to use the space well.
BundleCaliforniaBoxenT61.jpg

All great ideas.

What’s peoples thoughts on the 50 deg Nord boxes for the kitchen cupboards and rear garage shelves?
Sooooo expensive for storage boxes but do look good and seem to use the space well.
The 50 degree Nord stuff looks great but it is expensive. Also the felt if spoiled (spilt food or whatever) will not wipe clean so well. We use ‘Tupperware’ type boxes in the front cupboards with jumbo sized elastic bands around each, that stops rattle and slip and keeps them closed.

At the back we use felt nappy bags at £6 each. Top best with slight cut and sew adjustment. They take a lot of stuff - more than the 50 Degree Nord.

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/what-have-you-bought-for-your-cali-today.8536/post-672445

I would like the 50degree North Caliboard though, it’s on my wish list.

The 50 degree Nord stuff looks great but it is expensive. Also the felt if spoiled (spilt food or whatever) will not wipe clean so well. We use ‘Tupperware’ type boxes in the front cupboards with jumbo sized elastic bands around each, that stops rattle and slip and keeps them closed.

At the back we use felt nappy bags at £6 each. Top best with slight cut and sew adjustment. They take a lot of stuff - more than the 50 Degree Nord.

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/what-have-you-bought-for-your-cali-today.8536/post-672445

I would like the 50degree North Caliboard though, it’s on my wish list.
Thanks, those felt nappy bags look a great solution and cheap so will order some of those and see how I get on. I’ve come to my senses now about the 50 deg Nord boxes but agree with the Cali board for up top.

All great ideas.

As much I'd love these they are already expensive before the (unknown quantity) of Brexit tax is taken into account. They will deduct EU vat at source, but I think it still works out at c. £500 plus import tax. Maybe at half that price I'd be tempted.

All great ideas.

I ordered a set for the left kitchen cupboard yesterday after contemplating making my own, I carry a portapotti in the right hand cupboard so really need to make use of every inch on the left side. @CamperFam did a good review of them on Youtube.

Hideously expensive though.

We did indeed do one! (A review that is; not specifically a good one! :D) Thanks for the shoutout. (linky)

The 50Nord ones are great, no denying. On balance though, they are very pricy for what they do (they're cupboard boxes at end of day...). But if you're keen on really looking for the best solutions, then yes the 50Nord boxes are a fantastic choice - you'll never need to replace them from either function or wear that's for sure.

That said, anything made for Californias and Transporters seems to carry some kind of premium pricing uplift. That's where the IKEA stuff really comes into it's own - no 'Campervan tax' :D

I ordered a set for the left kitchen cupboard yesterday after contemplating making my own, I carry a portapotti in the right hand cupboard so really need to make use of every inch on the left side. @CamperFam did a good review of them on Youtube.

Hideously expensive though.
The YT review was one of the reasons why I was looking at them :)

Contemplating the Cali board from them so please let us know what you end up paying regarding delivery and import tax.

Contemplating the Cali board from them so please let us know what you end up paying regarding delivery and import tax.
That's our next video oddly enough. Haven't fitted yet, but initial impressions are good! Cuts out a lot of noise if you're somewhere noisy for those below and a solid surface - so you're able to watch a laptop etc without having to position yourself oddly, and folds up nice and tidy so you can rest a mug etc in the morning. Also (not tested yet) should take the weight of a person, so can sit right up to the pano bellows window on late t6 and t6.1 models.

On the Caliboard - wouldn’t it block the heat rising from the diesel heater? Maybe less of an issue in summer on the continent, but I don’t think it would work for us spring or autumn camping in Scotland.

With the canvas front open, I fear my 3 year old would use it as a bridge to enable him to slide down the windscreen (which he has already suggested!)

On the Caliboard - wouldn’t it block the heat rising from the diesel heater? Maybe less of an issue in summer on the continent, but I don’t think it would work for us spring or autumn camping in Scotland.

With the canvas front open, I fear my 3 year old would use it as a bridge to enable him to slide down the windscreen (which he has already suggested!)
Regarding heat - yes, it does. Arguably, how much heat gets up into the roof is arguably, as the heat vent is directly under the roof opening and in addition the two air vents. Im of the belief through experience that very little head circulates up there.

That said, there's an attachment to the Cali Board called the Cali Heat (incredibly clever naming... :D) which funnels heat from the heater vent up to the cali board and attaches with a bayonette fixing.

When the normal life isn't so busy i'll find a chance to fit it and do a video! :D

I’ve got the 50 deg Nord boxes for the kitchen cupboards and the rear shelves. They’re very good. We initially bought the usual plastic boxes etc from Ikea, but after discovering the Nord stuff, I ordered a set, despite the cost
Really happy with the purchase. They’re strong, lightweight and an exact fit. Id also say the felt surface/construction minimises rattling etc.
We’ve had them over 12 months and so far, they’ve been brilliant.
It‘s just a shame they’re so expensive, otherwise I’m sure they would be the go-to option for most Cali owners.

I’ve got the 50 deg Nord boxes for the kitchen cupboards and the rear shelves. They’re very good. We initially bought the usual plastic boxes etc from Ikea, but after discovering the Nord stuff, I ordered a set, despite the cost
Really happy with the purchase. They’re strong, lightweight and an exact fit. Id also say the felt surface/construction minimises rattling etc.
We’ve had them over 12 months and so far, they’ve been brilliant.
It‘s just a shame they’re so expensive, otherwise I’m sure they would be the go-to option for most Cali owners.
I did have a brief email exchange with them a while ago while querying VAT and customs liabilities. I gather they were exploring UK distribution options, but obviously no idea how that played out. In theory increased sales volumes could reduce costs once R&D is covered but I'm not holding my breath.

I purchased a set of 9 boxes from Nord, great quality and fitted perfectly to maximise space and are very convenient to use, albeit very expensive, very happy with them. I paid £94 on top of the box price minus eu tax which covered VAT, customs charge and courier charge in all.

Just in case no-one else has mentioned these....

I too was disappointed to find Ikea no longer do the half height Kuggis and being the sheep that I am wanted to follow the Will & Sarah methodology(!). I found these Curver 'trays' at Asda for about £2.50. The base measures roughly 33cm by 24cm so nests on top of the £10 Kuggis but it doesn't have a lid.

I think they had them in grey as well. My local Asda is a 'Supercentre' though so smaller stores may not carry them.

Cheers

20240323_122440[1].jpg

20240323_122455[1].jpg

For the kitchen shelves, we find the IKEA Uppdatera bamboo boxes (24x32x15) a nice alternative (the Variera also works fine for a plastic alternative). Using them for plates, mugs etc and pots, pans, lids respectively. On the side of it we store thermos, household paper etc. We take out the entire box to access stuff, thus categorised by use case.
IMG_0317.jpeg

My boxes arrived today. I just ordered the left hand cupboard ones and the fees broke down as follows:

Boxes: £171.01
Import VAT: £34.86
Clearance fee: £12.00
Non-sterling currency fee from bank: £4.70
Total: £222.57

They look great, are good quality and will definitely make our life easier but that is an awful lot of money. We carry a Portapotti in our right cupboard so I wanted to maximise every inch of space in the left one. Nevertheless I’ve had to lie to the Mrs about what they cost.

IMG_0148.jpeg

Back