Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Amazon Basics Expandable Hitch Rack Cargo Bag

whiskymac

whiskymac

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Has anyone used the Amazon Basics Cargo Bag on their VW Bike Rack on a California?

AmazonBasics Expandable Hitch Rack Cargo Carrier Bag, Black, 250 litres. expandable to 325 litres. https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B072ZHX3FN/?tag=eliteelect-21

If so I would be interested in your thoughts and feedback. Quality and does it work?

Thanks in advance ...

Has anyone used the Amazon Basics Cargo Bag on their VW Bike Rack on a California?

AmazonBasics Expandable Hitch Rack Cargo Carrier Bag, Black, 250 litres. expandable to 325 litres. https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B072ZHX3FN/?tag=eliteelect-21

If so I would be interested in your thoughts and feedback. Quality and does it work?

Thanks in advance ...
Hi, used one of these in the summer. On an Atera Strada towbar bike rack. Highly recommend. Very useful and did well. Bulk of use was a long trip over to Ireland from Essex and back Inc camping for two weeks. Totally crammed full of stuff. Didn’t notice it on bike rack and no damage to stuff or bag. Can fit so much in. Quality of fabric much better than expected, nice and thick.

We then used it as a store when camping, great to keep stuff dry and organised in the awning or outside the van. Didn’t leak at all.

I found it much easier/better than roof box. It also packs down really small to store in the shed or in van.

One tip if adding to a Strada bike rack. Stick a piece of thin plywood at the bottom of the bag before filling and pack some blankets round the edges. The bag tends to sag down between supports of rack. And also better to fill with bulky but light ish stuff, eg bedding, towels etc. angular stuff with chafe the fabric.

We were 250km north of the Arctic Circle in March 2019. I bought an aluminum box especially for boots, snowshoes, etc. This box is rain / snowproof / lockable. We drove well with it and I will use it again especially in winter.

Greetings from DE Rolf D.

View attachment 53561
MOs Aluminium boxes are not waterproof around t lid....What’s the name and where did you buy it ? It seems a bit small Do they have bigger sizes ?

We were 250km north of the Arctic Circle in March 2019. I bought an aluminum box especially for boots, snowshoes, etc. This box is rain / snowproof / lockable. We drove well with it and I will use it again especially in winter.

Greetings from DE Rolf D.

View attachment 53561
Where did you buy it? Denmark I guess.

You are right, if the box is under water it is not tight. But who is diving underwater with the Cali and the box On the bike rack? The box was tight enough for over 6600km (Germany - Norway / Sweden / Finland) 3000km only Snow / Ice. Here is a link for Germany but I assume you'll get a similar one in every country:

Regards RD

You are right, if the box is under water it is not tight. But who is diving underwater with the Cali and the box On the bike rack? The box was tight enough for over 6600km (Germany - Norway / Sweden / Finland) 3000km only Snow / Ice. Here is a link for Germany but I assume you'll get a similar one in every country:

Regards RD
Thanks Rolf

How did you attach it to the cycle rack? Did you have to drill holes in the bottom and use U bolts?

Also, what tyres did you have, driving in the snow?

The tires are of this make:

The tires do not always have a perfect rating but a good price, they are build in Japan. I am very happy with it and prefer to switch to new winter tires relatively early (from approx. 4mm).

I fixed the box without drilling the holder. I used long building hinges, which I bent accordingly. Since the aluminum sheet is relatively thin, I attached a screen printing plate (plywood) to the box from below in addition to the hinges.
I hope this is understandably described, Google translated it.

Greetings RD

DSC_0031.JPG

DSC_0032.JPG

DSC_0033.JPG

DSC_0034_2.JPG

Back