Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Anyone attached a bag to the *folded* OEM bike rack?

A

a892374923874

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
I have a Thule Velospace XT3 + extension which we use for four bikes on the detachable towbar.

I also have the newer style OEM rack which I don't really use. I can leave it on the van but can't unfold it without it snagging the bikes on the towbar rack.

Has anyone rigged up a storage solution to attach to the folded OEM rack that doesn't raise the height above 2m, and still allows the tailgate to open? I'm thinking of a soft cargo bag ROKstrapped half way up the rack with a bike rack arm keeping the rack folded.

This just to store light and/or wet stuff.

I don't want to put a box on the towbar rack, and the bikes up above, because then I can't easily open the tailgate with the bikes on, and the height goes above 2m.

Here's a photo of both together - I've removed the 1st rail from the tailgate rack so the bikes don't snag.

Thinking of a bag/box attached to the top 3 rails.

Or even remove the folding section completely and use the frame behind to attach something to.

22-07-14 09-21-03 1372.jpg

Here's a photo of both together - I've removed the 1st rail from the tailgate rack so the bikes don't snag.

Thinking of a bag/box attached to the top 3 rails.

Or even remove the folding section completely and use the frame behind to attach something to.

View attachment 96186
Have you considered the weight on the rear suspension?

Not in detail, but in my favour is a Beach without a kitchen, and the bench seat permanently in bed position on the rails (we don't slide it back). I have thought about a trip to a weighbridge.

Not in detail, but in my favour is a Beach without a kitchen, and the bench seat permanently in bed position on the rails (we don't slide it back). I have thought about a trip to a weighbridge.
The overall weight may be OK but not the Rear Axle weight.

585D97E7-7ED6-4D29-B2E7-F2964B5D20CB.jpeg
I attached this bag last year to go to Bude, had no issue and the great thing is once empty and closed e up it take up little space.

I have a Thule Velospace XT3 + extension which we use for four bikes on the detachable towbar.

I also have the newer style OEM rack which I don't really use. I can leave it on the van but can't unfold it without it snagging the bikes on the towbar rack.

Has anyone rigged up a storage solution to attach to the folded OEM rack that doesn't raise the height above 2m, and still allows the tailgate to open? I'm thinking of a soft cargo bag ROKstrapped half way up the rack with a bike rack arm keeping the rack folded.

This just to store light and/or wet stuff.

I don't want to put a box on the towbar rack, and the bikes up above, because then I can't easily open the tailgate with the bikes on, and the height goes above 2m.
Can you not just put the stuff inside between front seats and back seats? Or on the bed. Then when you arrive stick it in a pup tent?
Putting a lot of weight on rear of van, and a weight limit on the bike rack.

We have a set from Terranger that can convert the bike rack to a carrier rack. Basically (temporarely) removing the fold down bike carrier part and adding some generic, fixed carrier parts. Then we can attach our spare wheel or a box, a canister, sand boards, what have you. You then get something like this:

AB886C0A-B38A-4C82-85AC-9394938E5C08.png

I like that conversion to carrier rack.

I think I'll get the axle weights measured in full camping mode before I do anything, see how much leeway, if any, I have.

Thanks all.

I think I'll get the axle weights measured in full camping mode before I do anything, see how much leeway, if any, I have.
That’s a wise decision. We remember when we first had a Cali we weighed it with four adults, extra tent for two, four bikes on the rack, fresh water tank filled, two full bottles of gas, two extra camping chairs, etc. An eye opener! :oops:

Been for a weighing and the rear axle is only about 50kg under the max. Plenty to spare on the front. There are some things I can do to even out the weight distribution, and I’ve removed some stuff.

So, I think I want to lash this lightweight bag

higher up on the bikerack so it doesn’t snag the bikes on the tow bar rack, I’ve removed the folding tyre rails and the rack now looks like this.
BDCF6AE9-A8D9-4EA0-A24F-6DEB8BE721BE.jpeg

I need to fashion some support for underneath the bag. Anyone suggest a suitable system? I’ve seen pipe and clamp systems, also loads of fittings for the stage lighting/sound market.

The bag is for bulky light items such as cycle helmets.
Cheers

I think the max bike rack weight is 70k.

IMG-20220724-WA0032.jpg

Been for a weighing and the rear axle is only about 50kg under the max. Plenty to spare on the front. There are some things I can do to even out the weight distribution, and I’ve removed some stuff.

higher up on the bikerack so it doesn’t snag the bikes on the tow bar rack, I’ve removed the folding tyre rails and the rack now looks like this.
View attachment 96675

I need to fashion some support for underneath the bag. Anyone suggest a suitable system? I’ve seen pipe and clamp systems, also loads of fittings for the stage lighting/sound market.

Cheers
You have, as me the newer rack that is less suitable for packing stuff on. I have removed the bike carrier part as you and mounted som alu L profiles with existing bolts holes with longer bolts.
I bought this rack just to carry our inflatable sup boards.
It works well and we can have four bikes on the lower bike rack.
IMG_1391.jpg

IMG_1467.jpg

That’s given me some ideas! Thanks. And I already have some aluminium angle from making a slide out tray. Do you have any other photos of the frame mounting, or any problems you encountered while designing?

View attachment 96207
I attached this bag last year to go to Bude, had no issue and the great thing is once empty and closed e up it take up little space.
Hi there, that looks like exactly what I'm after for our next trip - can I ask, what's the bracket fitted that's next to the bag and did you have to remove the wheel trays? I was looking at the Bandrup flexi cargo which looks like it fits great but for the high price (~£230) looks pretty small. Thanks

Why remove anything? I also have the "newer rack" and decided to just use it like a shelf with some Thule lockable straps. Photos with a Weber Pulse 1000 and a large SUP on it during my recent trip to the West coast of France.

IMG_2537.jpeg

IMG_2538.jpeg

Hi there, that looks like exactly what I'm after for our next trip - can I ask, what's the bracket fitted that's next to the bag and did you have to remove the wheel trays? I was looking at the Bandrup flexi cargo which looks like it fits great but for the high price (~£230) looks pretty small. Thanks
Hi just fitted to the standard tack, nothing removed, I just added the Thule strap over top frame and bike rack for extra security, it did not move an inch and it had a fair load on it.

Hi just fitted to the standard tack, nothing removed, I just added the Thule strap over top frame and bike rack for extra security, it did not move an inch and it had a fair load on it.
I’ll have to give that a try, looks like a massive boost to storage!

Why remove anything? I also have the "newer rack" and decided to just use it like a shelf with some Thule lockable straps. Photos with a Weber Pulse 1000 and a large SUP on it during my recent trip to the West coast of France.

View attachment 97925

View attachment 97926
Original poster wrote “I also have the newer style OEM rack which I don't really use. I can leave it on the van but can't unfold it without it snagging the bikes on the towbar rack.”
Translation: Its impossible to have bikes on lower rack and extend the upper rack, hence the need to modify the upper rack so cargo sits higher.

View attachment 96675

Cheers
It is possible to Uprate the GVW and axle weights legally. This is the company.

Back