Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

An interesting subject.......at least it is for me.

Apologies.
Accepted. Even in jest it just niggled me a little. When introduced, the GTE was a design classic (the forerunner of todays SUVs?) and in my opinion never received the recognition it deserved. I too don't have any patience for body off chassis restoration or the like, hence the purchase from someone who does. However the design does lend itself to relatively simple restoration as opposed to consignment to the scrapyard.

don't f
There seems to be a rash of youtubers putting wrecks back onto the road.
With that amount of frontal damage, how did the airbags not go off?
What do you think cost to replace all the parts and paint, 10k? It looks a well specced caravelle so no doubt led headlights and fogs.
You spend all that time and money to get it back on the road, it's still a right off. I think he'd have to keep it a long time to justify the cost of repairing it.
don't forget the normal rules of economics are suspended on YouTube - he's making money from doing <anything> and putting adverts either side.

I watch (and enjoy) a lot, but always have to remind myself it's not real life.

Going aware from the T6 theme so apologies in advance but this T6 Caravelle job looks like childs play compared to the jobs Matt Armstrong has done. He is another You tuber that I enjoy watching. He was a complete novice when he started but is now rather experienced. He is helped by his father who really knows his stuff. Between them, they have rebuilt some really heavily crash damaged exotics that in my un-trained eye, were really only good for scrap. Here's one of his easier projects.

Beware, watch one episode and you will become addicted. Check out some of his other projects.

So back to the T6 Caravelle, having watched a lot of these rebuilds, this one looks to be quite straight forward. As for the economics involved, well that might not be that bad especially if he is putting in the hours for free. I suppose it would mainly depend on what he paid for it plus the parts required.
You're not wrong about it being addictive. He has an additive personality. I recently watched as he started rebuilding a rare, smashed Ferrari, which he bought for £60,000.

don't f

don't forget the normal rules of economics are suspended on YouTube - he's making money from doing <anything> and putting adverts either side.

I watch (and enjoy) a lot, but always have to remind myself it's not real life.
Absolutely. These cars are usually written off for good reason. Any normal person attempting this sort of thing without his Youtube benefits would quickly find themselves in deep financial trouble not to mention being out of their depth with the rebuild. However, the economics don't really interest me as I have no interest in doing anything like this myself.

Instead, it's his enthusiasm, sheer determination and the way he circumvents problems, that I find both fascinating and compelling. Some of his projects are so bad that most people wouldn't imagine that a relative amateur like Matt could rebuild a heavily crash damaged pile of scrap to such high standards. Another thing I like about his videos is the detail he includes of each stage and his self deprecating manner when things don't go quite right. The high standard of his work is also note worthy as he doesn't bodge. If it's damaged it gets replaced.

I'm not so interested in modifications he does though. Some are ok but with one or two he has definitely been guilty "over egging the pudding".

Finally, with every rebuild he always gets the car's main agent to do a full health check on his finished project following which he rectifies any items that theyv'e picked up.

He rebuilt that purple Porsche in America at a garage run by a Youtube friend. That friend, Tavarish, is rebuilding a flood damaged Mclaren. That is also a facinating but horrifying set of videos and represents a category of write offs to stay well clear of.

Last edited:
You're not wrong about it being addictive. He has an additive personality. I recently watched as he started rebuilding a rare, smashed Ferrari, which he bought for £60,000.
Another good one to watch is his Porsche Cayman rebuild. That one had suffered at least one roll over and as far as I was concerned, was beyond repair.

Watched this too - vaguely interesting although he failed miserably despite the bluff and IMHO given there were no costs mentioned he could have likely bought a similar Caravelle for less.

Watched this too - vaguely interesting although he failed miserably despite the bluff and IMHO given there were no costs mentioned he could have likely bought a similar Caravelle for less.
I can't comment on the costs involved and in any case that isn't the point of this thread. I posted this thread as it deals with a repair of a T6 which is of interest to me.

His method of buying a front quarter of a crashed damaged vehicle and using the non damaged elements there of, is interesting although he could have made a better job of marrying up the new donor part with the existing chassis. The initial gap to be welded was far too wide. The other aspect that I didn't enjoy was the unecessarily tight time constraints he put himself under. It's a nice van that needs to be done properly, not rushed. Still all these resto programs are the same in that respect.

I'm sure none of these things are as rushed in reality as a clever edit introduces the necessary drama to drive views ...

all's fair in love & reality TV (and don't forget to like, subscribe & hit the bell to notified of new posts like this one ...)

I can't comment on the costs involved and in any case that isn't the point of this thread. I posted this thread as it deals with a repair of a T6 which is of interest to me.

His method of buying a front quarter of a crashed damaged vehicle and using the non damaged elements there of, is interesting although he could have made a better job of marrying up the new donor part with the existing chassis. The initial gap to be welded was far too wide. The other aspect that I didn't enjoy was the unecessarily tight time constraints he put himself under. It's a nice van that needs to be done properly, not rushed. Still all these resto programs are the same in that respect.
I also thought his butt joint didn't seem particularly safe, I would have thought an overlap would have been better. But I thought it might just be camera angle thing ? Also quite odd that someone who is claiming to be a repair whizz and is chopping bits of panels and lining them up is unable to weld himself !

I re watch he definitely butted it up with a reasonably poor fitting gap.

Here is what the manual says

10 mm over lap
The picture also shows a staggered chassis joint

Screenshot_20230721-192645.png

Screenshot_20230721-192653.png

Screenshot_20230721-192750.png

I guess that's why write offs are recorded and sell for less for the rest of their life. You never know if it's been done properly or not !

I also thought his butt joint didn't seem particularly safe, I would have thought an overlap would have been better. But I thought it might just be camera angle thing ? Also quite odd that someone who is claiming to be a repair whizz and is chopping bits of panels and lining them up is unable to weld himself !
Good point.

I re watch he definitely butted it up with a reasonably poor fitting gap.

Here is what the manual says

10 mm over lap
The picture also shows a staggered chassis joint

View attachment 111611

View attachment 111612

View attachment 111613
Detailed repair instructions, very interesting.
I'm no expert on these matters but the peice he was replacing didn't look in any way structural. He originally said that the chassis leg was damaged. Fortunately, that didn't seem to be the case. If it had been then it would have been a game changer.

Detailed repair instructions, very interesting.
I'm no expert on these matters but the peice he was replacing didn't look in any way structural. He originally said that the chassis leg was damaged. Fortunately, that didn't seem to be the case. If it had been then it would have been a game changer.
Not as structure as the chassis / bumper leg, but it still holds the wing I guess so in a similar corner collision to what it had it probably helps absorbing the impact.

Back