Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Is a T5 / T6 really an everyday vehicle?

A week in the life of Albert.

Last Wednesday I needed to pop down to the West country to visit friends and collect some rather large memorabilia. A perfect job for Albert, my vehicle of choice if driving more than just around the corner.

Thursday he was a support vehicle for a team of door-knockers. Lot's of tea and coffee being made.

Friday he provided me with a waiting room at a hospital. Get there early, settle my nerves, have a nice cup of tea before sitting myself down for the briefest possible time amongst some rather ill looking people.

Saturday he was a spare bedroom.

Yesterday, the back seat pushed fully forward, he was being used to cart around a set of wheels and tyres.

Today he is being packed up to go for a last-minute-delayed-by-three-days shopping trip to France on Friday.

Who needs another car?
Sounds like a script for commercial

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have sold our second car after two month of 'testing the cali as our daily car'. And it was no hard decision. We try to drive less in a car so daily is not every day. All within about 10km with no transportation of heavy stuff involved is done by bike. So in the end it is also healthier for me :D
The dimensions of the cali are no problem at all - except when I had to drop off somebody at Zaventem airport where the kiss&ride parking was only 1.90 high without any backing out possibility. And I was not the only one...

The dimensions of the cali are no problem at all - except when I had to drop off somebody at Zaventem airport where the kiss&ride parking was only 1.90 high without any backing out possibility. And I was not the only one...

We have the same problem in the Copehagen Airport – I just go with the busses! But actually I rarely meet the problem driving around. And so forth I never discovered an unpleasant situation. Most of the time I even carry a roofbox, so the car is over 2,6 mtr. Again the advantage of the Cali is worth it all ;-)

I use my new T6 Ocean daily,it's a great all-round vehicle.

No, I am afraid not. If two isn't already, then three would have been well OTT. I never ever imagined that we would end up with one let alone two. Still from a club perspective, it has given me a very interesting insight into these two quite different models. I don't want to restart the old Beach verses SE/Ocean debate so let's just say that each model is quite simply superb at what it does and IMO they cannot really be compared with each other.

Mrs B has a mint, low mileage, twenty two year old Mercedes Benz 190 2.5L diesel auto which she calls Angela Merkel. If you are looking for a true, save the planet, ECO friendly car then look no further.
View attachment 17911
It is a good example of that legendary, old school, no expense spared, teutonic Mercedes build quality that prevailed before the bean counters became involved.
On the good side it will last forever and would probably still start after a nuclear attack. On the down side, whilst this 2.5 litre car is a very smooth and comfortable ride, when you put your foot down on the accelerator pedal, absolutely nothing happens! Acceleration is measured in hours not seconds. Still depreciation isn't an issue.

At risk of turning this thread into a reminiscence group; I kind of know you won't, but if you ever do think about letting go of that Merc, maybe put it in this forum first . . .

My wonderful W124 towcar:

Merc.JPG

- was stolen, and I'm still deeply bitter. And twisted. Even maybe contender for best car ever owned, maybe, had become the everyday and lots more, would do everything a car should, albeit rather slowly. And the way it disappeared. More or less word for word very early one summer morning "I'm in a hurry where did you park the merc?", "just outside the house", "no the merc", "just outside", "NO, THE MERC", "IT'S JUST OUTSIDE, JUST LOOK, oh, hang on a minute, I'm sure thats where I left it".

Apparently it will have been broken up for parts.

I do actually concede that the Cali is far better for towing, and sleeping, and, actually, everything else completely, but there is nothing wrong with being bitter and twisted.

At risk of turning this thread into a reminiscence group; I kind of know you won't, but if you ever do think about letting go of that Merc, maybe put it in this forum first . . .

My wonderful W124 towcar:

View attachment 17952

- was stolen, and I'm still deeply bitter. And twisted. Even maybe contender for best car ever owned, maybe, had become the everyday and lots more, would do everything a car should, albeit rather slowly. And the way it disappeared. More or less word for word very early one summer morning "I'm in a hurry where did you park the merc?", "just outside the house", "no the merc", "just outside", "NO, THE MERC", "IT'S JUST OUTSIDE, JUST LOOK, oh, hang on a minute, I'm sure thats where I left it".

Apparently it will have been broken up for parts.

I do actually concede that the Cali is far better for towing, and sleeping, and, actually, everything else completely, but there is nothing wrong with being bitter and twisted.
Hello Mark13,
Sorry to hear about your car. I suspect that you may be right that it's been broken for parts. It may even have left the country as these old Mercs are very popular in many parts of the world. I hope that you find a suitable replacement and if we do decide to sell Angela, we will stick it on the forum.

Sorry T4WFA for wandering off thread.

Sorry T4WFA for wandering off thread.
It's OK. I've sold both the car and the camper and bought an old Merc W124 L reg Estate. Got a good deal of this Polish bloke who was on his way to the Port.

It's OK. I've sold both the car and the camper and bought an old Merc W124 L reg Estate. Got a good deal of this Polish bloke who was on his way to the Port.
Any roof corrosion? ;)

My Cali has been my only vehicle for the last 3 years. I do tend to avoid multistory car parks (local ones are all 2m or less) but have only ever encountered one open air car park I couldn't get in because the lanes between the parking bays was just too narrow in the whole 3 years. I reverse in and can usually just slot right in between the lines, I have had to get out of the sliding door a couple of time in very narrow spaces. I use parkopedia to find car parks if I am going somewhere new as they have all the height limits listed .
Day 1 was very daunting when I picked it up but I love driving it now.

A lot more people use it as everyday car than I thought. But I think it's the only camper that suits the job.

I might have a couple of spare sets of keys for sale for that. Not cheap though.

Currently running 4 vehicles so I would have to say no.

And a motorbike

The new Citroen / Peugeot / Toyota just came across my radar, so just thought I'd update this thread with the comparative sizes:
A T5 is 4.89m long
The Toyota Proace Verso (to take one of the names) comes in 3 sizes, 4.609m, 4.959m, 5.309m
It's width is showing at 1.92 exc mirrors compared to 1.904 for a Cali.
Height is 1.91 and we know the Cali is just shy of 2m.

I guess it just confirms how compact the Cali (and the base vehicle) really is.

Now we love it even more ;-)

zandvoort.jpg

Every day. In storm and rain, even when it's sunny and warm. Today I used it as a shelter during [edit: and not between] the showers - tried to take some stormy pictures.

Last edited:
I think really it is not an everyday vehicle, it is an exceptional vehicle! :)

Not yesterday we stayed at home. the rest of the week yes.We had a hire estate car when our T5 Cali was in for repair following rear ended -- must say I hated it. If I had another card not think I would use it

zandvoort.jpg

Every day. In storm and rain, even when it's sunny and warm. Today I used it as a shelter between the showers - tried to take some stormy pictures.

I think you nailed the stormy pictures!

I presume you used the van to shelter DURING the showers, rather than between them ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think you nailed the stormy pictures!

I presume you used the van to shelter DURING the showers, rather than between them ;)

Oops. Sure. Editing text and not read it before hitting the post button.

That picture illustrates why I love having a camper!

My current estate car is a fraction over 4.9m long, not an issue once you get used to it. I guess the height of a cali might be more of an issue for day to day use though.
I have tried using my 6.1 and so long as I use mother and child parking spaces no problem. It is a good compromise and now I discovered the turbo not too bad. But it does not even compare with my 300hp Nissan (which has really big doors) and my learning process from torque to turbo torque. I really do not understand why these VW do not use a supercharger?

I have tried using my 6.1 and so long as I use mother and child parking spaces no problem. It is a good compromise and now I discovered the turbo not too bad. But it does not even compare with my 300hp Nissan (which has really big doors) and my learning process from torque to turbo torque. I really do not understand why these VW do not use a supercharger?
Of course the height and width is a real problem for using normal garages but its the garage rather than the vehicle thats the problem. Try getting a house with a suitable garage! you will have to build your own.

Back