Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Is a T5 / T6 really an everyday vehicle?

Daily commute - 8 miles each way, super tight carpark, wouldn't change a thing. All the car parks are fine for us

Yes I agree, wouldnt be for me either, but with the price of campers getting so high Im sure there is a big potential customer base out there. I'm not sure how good it would be for full on camping. You would need an awning really to get best use but it would be a great day van, means to make a cuppa after a day out etc.

12 years of driving a T5 as an everyday vehicle and a T4 for 10 years before that.
Been driving a regular car for the last 6 months waiting for our T6 Beach to arrive and not enjoyed the experience one bit!

Ours is our daily driver. Has been for the last 4 years. Before that a T5 and before that a T4.

Actually have a similar dilemma myself. Really not sure. Do have issues when I go the coast on the weekend and the wife is left without a car.
Plus we are thinking of a third car to keep the miles off our sporty number and because it sits at a train station 3 days a week. However the Cali is used by me and my other half when I'm not using it.
As a daily, it's brilliant. Just make sure you spec parking sensors front and rear.
I would consider DSG especially if you do a lot of miles around town.

The biggest dilemma is Beach or Ocean. Hmm, we all have an opinion on that one. But it very much depends on circumstances and how you intend to use the vehicle.

I would keep the T4 as it's paid for and is the full monty for camping and run a cheap second vehicle.
However if you feel the need to move on, and why not..? Buy a T5 and use it as your daily. You won't regret it.

We were quite impressed with your van when you showed us around it up at Eskdale. I remember your earlier conundrum and was a bit puzzled when you sold the T5, but after after seeing your van I understood why :)

Of course I don't know what the T4 is like on the road and that could be a decider. And the height barrier situation would be an item. However, on site, given the choice I think we would stay in yours rather than ours :D . And yours has the exclusivity factor too.

I don't think you can make a wrong decision either way, but good luck. :thumb

You know, looking at what you currently own and if you still do a lot of camping. Beach vs Ocean is easy for you.
It has to be Ocean. I think the Beach would be to far away from what you currently own with that fully loaded T4.

Mine is an everyday vehicle albeit when its warm enough I prefer my Caterham 7 :thumb
Knew it couldn't be just me with the 7; Cali plus Caterham = perfect 2 car garage.

We are thinking of starting to use the Cali as the everyday. Parking sensors, side access for tight car parks, driving position, tough mechanicals, and will more than keep up with traffic. It works.

Will hold on to some toys, but the Volvo has to go.

Due to the T6 high driving position and the XC60s "shoulders" I find the T6 easier in every aspect of the daily drive. I do have the parking sensors and the camera fitted, the latter not on the Volvo but I find it no more difficult to manoeuvre/park and the turning circle is the same to within 0.1m

Teejay, we also have a Volvo XC60 and although I love it to bits generally (would almost certainly get another one in due course), its turning circle of about 12m is no better than a Cali's, as you say.

So perhaps XC60 not really a strictly 'fair' comparison between a Cali and a typical small/medium sized car, which might have a turning circle of maybe 10.5m, or certainly not a small city car which could be as low as 9m.

Having said that, I personally find the Cali pretty convenient to manoeuvre and park generally, although I've never tried taking it down into one of those very tight underground car parks in central London - where I often have to shunt around the XC60 to get it into a bay.

Hi. I understand your dilemma.
I had to make that choice too. And I have decided to go with T6 Coast as daily driver and camper van. I hope it will be at dealers in April 17. Currently we have two Volvos; V70 (2005) and C30(2008). We have decided that C30 will have to go. It is younger and I will get more when selling it. And we like V70 more too.

I can hardly wait to start using ACC on busy highway to work, switching on heater in winter times to get into defrosted and warm car, sitting high and comfortable in alcantara seats with heating :) And of course go on camping trips with my family. This is what I am happy about.
On the other hand I am not so happy with high mileage I will be doing daily, higher consumption, too quick/often services, etc…
My biggest concern is that I will do A LOT of miles driving it to work and back home: 21.000 miles/year just for work!! I can just forget on resale I guess.
Would you guys keep C30 for daily if you were in my position?
And what I want to know the most is how many miles/year do you gather just for daily use?

Interesting thread. We have a Polo 1.6 and an 8-year old Cali, and I have to admit it's the Polo that stays on the drive most of the time! The Cali is obviously a versatile camper either for the two of us on a proper camping holiday, or just me and my guitars and stuff away for a music festival or gig. But it is a great van, for - eg. - taking stuff to the tip (the bench seat is always being pushed forward for something), and - more than anything - great fun to drive (mine's the old 2.5tdi with DSG gearbox). It's reasonably economical for a big vehicle, and nips around at a good old lick. As someone said, you just get used to the size, and the height is OK for most car parks. Anybody want a Polo?

Out of interest, I checked the wall to wall turning circles of a few vehicles:
VW T5 = 11.9m
VW Caddy Maxi = 12.2m
Peugeot Partner = 11.5m
VW Polo = 10.6m
London Taxi = 7.62m (max allowed for London cabs = 25')

An everyday driver? I will find out in the new year because me and mine have made that decision and ordered a Cali. No real scientific rationale other than the fact we have three cars now and decided that four was too many and anyway my Mum & Dad had two camper vans when I was growing up and my dad drove to work in one every day of the week. Here are a couple of pics to enjoy. That's me sat in the passenger seat and my mum feeding us all, oh,and posing with my two sisters and twin brother!!Various001.jpg Dormobile-Car.jpg Various012.jpg Dormobile-Car.jpg Various012.jpg Various001.jpg dormobile.jpg

Out of interest, I checked the wall to wall turning circles of a few vehicles:
VW T5 = 11.9m
VW Caddy Maxi = 12.2m
Peugeot Partner = 11.5m
VW Polo = 10.6m
London Taxi = 7.62m (max allowed for London cabs = 25')

I would compare similar size car vehicles. E.g Passat, A6 or 5 series. They must all be a similar length to a California.

A6 = 11.9
BMW 5 = 12

The point was to show there is not much in it, unless you go to a small car, or a London Taxi!

16 years T5 and 9 months T6 cali as daily car...
Not larger than many other family cars ,only the view on the road is much better..

I've had my Cali since May and it's my daily, I love it.

I still have my ancient (T reg) Nissan estate as it's hardly costing me anything and I use it for taking garden rubbish to the dump etc, if it fails its MOT it may have to go but it's also useful as a spare when one of us is carless for any reason (OH has a very old Jag which needs a bit of tlc from time to time). I take the Nissan out every so often just to make sure it still goes but I much prefer the Cali and I have no problem in the supermarket car park. Yes it may get dinged sooner or later but we live in the country and travel narrow lanes to visit my daughter, with oncoming drivers who won't pull over for fear of getting their towny cars scratched, so it's no good worrying about it - hasn't happened yet though!

I had a look at smaller van conversions and I just didn't like them as they just weren't as versatile as the Cali, and were too much like sleeping in the old estate car which I had done several times as pitching and taking down a tent was becoming too difficult.

The only thing that concerns me rather is 'popping round to the shops' - the local shops which for anyone else are probably walking distance but I have arthritis and can't do it - as it doesn't give the engine a chance to warm up properly which can't be a good thing.

I use my T6 every day, I drive to work sites in it and me makes me smile.
It also makes me drive more sane, our Bmw 5 series is used by my wife most of the time. I think lesser things makes my life better, especially if I dont need to tinker with them all the time.

Hello T4WFA,
My wife and I are extremely fortunate to own two Calis. I bought our SE in 2015 for my wife and I to go on regular grand adventures in our retirement. The other vehicle was purchased this year in order to replace our elderly Skoda Superb and to provide a much more suitable vehicle for general day to day duties but especially for transporting various combinations of our eight grand children around in. After looking at all sorts of vehilcles we ended up buying a T6 seven seater Beech. This had never been on our list of suitable second vehicles and was the last vehicle we thought we would end up buying. Our final choice was going to have been a Caravelle but by the time it had been specced up to meet our requirements their wasn't much difference in price. You also get so much more with a Beech. So we now have a camper van and a second car for general day to day duties which just happens to be a Cali Beech. And what a superb vehicle it is!

This is the vehicle which I think would suit your needs extremely well. As you are almost certainly aware, the Beech has two sleeping areas, one up one down. They are enormous inside and are so very versatile. With the rear bench seat in the fully forward position there is plenty of room for bulky antiques. It is a doddle to park as it is no longer than a large car although parking sensors would be a useful option. The Cali Beech has excellent all round vision and the steering is light and precise so is very easy to manoeuvre. It will go under a 2.0 metre height barrier and it isn't really a problem to park in almost all locations. However, I am very fussy where I park it in order to avoid unnecessary and costly damage caused by either the accident prone or those who just couldn't care less. Whilst it could and has been used very sucessfully as a camper van, our Beech is almost exclusively used as a day van and it is absolutely blo*dy brilliant at it. There doesn't seem to be anything that this vehicle cannot do with total ease. You may feel that it is a little large at first but seriously it does seem to shrink the more that you drive it. It really is no different from driving a large car except that it is much better. You enjoy the same commanding driving position that you have in your T4 and it is a very comfortable vehicle to drive. The Beech is also great vehicle to sleep in and is a lovely place to sit and enjoy a picnic. Given you personal circumstances I think you would find it an excellent option without the need to run a second car. Having said that, Mrs B has so far been unable to pluck up enough courage to drive either of our Calis so we also have a third vehicle !
For your third vehicle did you go for the full set and get a Cali Coast :thumb

For your third vehicle did you go for the full set and get a Cali Coast :thumb
No, I am afraid not. If two isn't already, then three would have been well OTT. I never ever imagined that we would end up with one let alone two. Still from a club perspective, it has given me a very interesting insight into these two quite different models. I don't want to restart the old Beach verses SE/Ocean debate so let's just say that each model is quite simply superb at what it does and IMO they cannot really be compared with each other.

Mrs B has a mint, low mileage, twenty two year old Mercedes Benz 190 2.5L diesel auto which she calls Angela Merkel. If you are looking for a true, save the planet, ECO friendly car then look no further.
image.jpeg
It is a good example of that legendary, old school, no expense spared, teutonic Mercedes build quality that prevailed before the bean counters became involved.
On the good side it will last forever and would probably still start after a nuclear attack. On the down side, whilst this 2.5 litre car is a very smooth and comfortable ride, when you put your foot down on the accelerator pedal, absolutely nothing happens! Acceleration is measured in hours not seconds. Still depreciation isn't an issue.

Last edited:
I previously had a 1995 W124 Mercedes E280 auto estate, bought with 150K miles & it never missed a beat in three years (but did like petrol stations...) Only car I ever made a profit on too.

My T6 Beach DSG is now my only vehicle & does everything I need, local trips & long hauls. As it's such a square boxy shape I find it easy to drive & park as "you always know where the corners are".

Only minor day-to-day issue is that I'm still a bit precious about it after 6-months & always choose the most isolated car park spaces away from others, though I'd likely have been the same if I'd bought a spec-for-spec Audi Q5 for the exact same money.

No, I am afraid not. If two isn't already, then three would have been well OTT. I never ever imagined that we would end up with one let alone two. Still from a club perspective, it has given me a very interesting insight into these two quite different models. I don't want to restart the old Beach verses SE/Ocean debate so let's just say that each model is quite simply superb at what it does and IMO they cannot really be compared with each other.

Mrs B has a mint, low mileage, twenty two year old Mercedes Benz 190 2.5L diesel auto which she calls Angela Merkel. If you are looking for a true, save the planet, ECO friendly car then look no further.
View attachment 17911
It is a good example of that legendary, old school, no expense spared, teutonic Mercedes build quality that prevailed before the bean counters became involved.
On the good side it will last forever and would probably still start after a nuclear attack. On the down side, whilst this 2.5 litre car is a very smooth and comfortable ride, when you put your foot down on the accelerator pedal, absolutely nothing happens! Acceleration is measured in hours not seconds. Still depreciation isn't an issue.
Your merc looks like a lovely example and I am more than a little envious. The mercs of this age were / are excellent cars, I had a 1989 2.6ltr petrol 190 for a short period and later a 1998 300E which was the best car I have ever owned (not including the Cali of course) and a fabulous car to drive. Both mercs were about 10 / 11 yo when I bought them but they drove like new because the build quality was superb. If the 300E had been a diesel I would probably still have it but the petrol engines don't last as long mine didn't anyway (only lasted 18 yrs).

A week in the life of Albert.

Last Wednesday I needed to pop down to the West country to visit friends and collect some rather large memorabilia. A perfect job for Albert, my vehicle of choice if driving more than just around the corner.

Thursday he was a support vehicle for a team of door-knockers. Lot's of tea and coffee being made.

Friday he provided me with a waiting room at a hospital. Get there early, settle my nerves, have a nice cup of tea before sitting myself down for the briefest possible time amongst some rather ill looking people.

Saturday he was a spare bedroom.

Yesterday, the back seat pushed fully forward, he was being used to cart around a set of wheels and tyres.

Today he is being packed up to go for a last-minute-delayed-by-three-days shopping trip to France on Friday.

Who needs another car?

Back