Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

(anonymous) Are you having engine issues with your T5.1 BiTDi (180) Cali?

Are you having engine issues with your T5.1 BiTDi (180) Cali?

• NO - issues with early (2010-2011MY), lower mileage (<40k miles)

Votes: 4 8.9%
  • NO - issues with early (2010-2011MY), higher mileage (>40k miles)

Votes: 5 11.1%
  • NO - issues with later (2012MY onwards), lower mileage (<40k miles)

Votes: 17 37.8%
  • NO - issues with later (2012MY onwards), higher mileage (>40k miles)

Votes: 5 11.1%
  • YES - issues with early (2010-2011MY), lower mileage (<40k miles)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • YES - issues with early (2010-2011MY), higher mileage (>40k miles)

Votes: 8 17.8%
  • YES - issues with later (2012MY onwards), lower mileage (<40k miles)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • YES - issues with later (2012MY onwards), higher mileage (>40k miles)

Votes: 2 4.4%
  • Don't know!

Votes: 3 6.7%
  • Don't care!

Votes: 2 4.4%

• Total voters
Spartan

Spartan

(not human)
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Some owners of the VW T5.1 based vehicles fitted with the 2.0l, bi-turbo, 180bhp (CFCA) engine have reported serious issues with oil consumption/engine wear that have necessitated costly repair, even complete engine replacement.

The purpose of this poll is to try to inform how many vehicles have been/are affected and to see if there is any trend - if there is an issue, could it be related to model year or mileage (for example - unfortunately poll limitations do not allow for more choices)?

N.B. Please do NOT participate in this poll if your vote would relate to the T5.1 single-turbo (140BHP) engined vehicle or any previous/later vehicle models - so no votes from T4, T5 (pre 2010MY, pre-'facelift') or T6 owners please.

Please be honest! Your vote is anonymous - it's possible to view the results of the poll but not to see how individual members have voted. Of course, you are free to follow-up your vote with a comment in this thread that other members can see.

In the poll, you will see reference to 'MY' denoting 'model year'. I believe the 2012MY was actually released around June 2011.

Multiple votes are allowed - this means you can vote for more than one poll response, not that you can vote for the same response many times!

Last edited:
Some owners of the VW T5.1 based vehicles fitted with the 2.0l, bi-turbo, 180bhp (CFCA) engine have reported serious issues with oil consumption/engine wear that have necessitated costly repair, even complete engine replacement.

The purpose of this poll is to try to inform how many vehicles have been/are affected and to see if there is any trend - if there is an issue, could it be related to model year or mileage (for example - unfortunately poll limitations do not allow for more choices)?

N.B. Please do NOT participate in this poll if your vote would relate to the T5.1 single-turbo (140BHP) engined vehicle or any previous/later vehicle models - so no votes from T4, T5 (pre 2010MY, pre-'facelift') or T6 owners please.

Please be honest! Your vote is anonymous - it's possible to view the results of the poll but not to see how individual members have voted. Of course, you are free to follow-up your vote with a comment in this thread that other members can see.

In the poll, you will see reference to 'MY' denoting 'model year'. I believe the 2012MY was actually released around June 2011.
It would be interesting to ask ADMIN if they could post How many Forum Members are registered with a 180 vehicle. Not completely accurate as many members don't give their vehicle details.

I am not casting a vote as we sold our 2012 180 (back to VW in December.) We had no oil use issues as of 63k when I sold it but I understand that the person who was going to buy it decided against it after having a compression test which show issues on one of the cylinders and following that It appeared to have been taken off sale by the VW dealer

Sadly I think (despite perhaps being the catalyst that re-kickstarted this 180 good/bad debate in a buying topic) that any poll like this is worse than useless and will tell nothing,..

[edited by me due to Spartan's post below]

especially as multiple votes are allowed. If I had a 180 (potentially up for sale) I might feel like clicking no issue more than once!

;)

[end edit]

As I said in the other topic the potential sample of owners that might see it is miniscule and biased either way.

Now, if we had a poll thus:

When it comes to QC/ reliability/customer care, are VW:

1) A bunch of *****.

2) Evil personified.

3) Totally ******* useless.

4) Technically inept and seemingly incapable of painting a sheet of aluminium.

5) All of the above.

Then we might get a better response. ;)

Last edited:
I really do think (despite perhaps being the catalyst that re-kickstarted this 180 good/bad debate) that any poll like this is worse than useless and will tell nothing, especially as multiple votes are allowed. If I had a 180 (potentially up for sale) I might feel like clicking no issue more than once! ...

Just to clarify, "multiple votes" allows a participant to vote for more than one poll response (e.g. for people who own/have owned more than one vehicle); it does not allow a participant to vote for the same response multiple times and hence skew the result (as you suggest).

I've now edited the original post to include this information.

Last edited:
Spartan - I know that you've already started the poll BUT I would be just as interested to see who has a T5 180 with 100k+ miles on the clock, and showing no major oil/engine problems. A single example from someone on this forum would instill some confidence that not every engine is tainted.

Spartan - I know that you've already started the poll BUT I would be just as interested to see who has a T5 180 with 100k+ miles on the clock, and showing no major oil/engine problems. A single example from someone on this forum would instill some confidence that not every engine is tainted.

Since the oldest T5.1 could only be about 8 years-old (at the time of writing), I guess that we won't be hearing from many California owners with over 100k miles on this engine for a little while yet ...

As I said... a single response would be great.

Back