• Used for daily commute to/from work

Votes: 19 16.4%

• Total voters
marshian70

marshian70

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Following a current thread I thought it would be interesting to have a poll on how members use their Calis. Please select 1 or 2 answers, so if the Cali is your only vehicle used for commuting to work, then select 2. If you work from home or don't work, then just select 1 response.
Thanks all

Ah. It is MY only vehicle as my Wife has her MX5. However when we go out then it depends who is driving as to which vehicle is used. Fortunately now retired. So I always drive the Cali and she always drives the MX5.

We only have the Cali. No problems as I love driving it and if it won't go in a car park we just drive on.

My T6 Beach is just a twinkle in VW's eye (meaning its on order, but has not been built yet).

It will be my only vehicle, when it arrives. I hope I got that right because I won't be able to afford a second vehicle without selling a few organs.

My T6 Beach is just a twinkle in VW's eye (meaning its on order, but has not been built yet).

It will be my only vehicle, when it arrives. I hope I got that right because I won't be able to afford a second vehicle without selling a few organs.
It will be fine.

How do I use it ....

30th as an emergency long haul 370 mile long distance tourer, a job it does brilliantly.

31st as a soup kitchen and making lots of cups of tea for those mopping up (over 60 cups of tea made) ... and a rest vehicle, A job the Cali did brilliantly.

As an emergency hotel room parked behind the back of a local church in Rochdale, and of course the Cali is the best hotel room to have anywhere.

As a furniture removal vehicle, and what we packed into it was amazing.

As a shelter, warm, comforting, protecting, beautiful. The Cali at it's best.

As a late night long distance tourer getting me home last night.

Reliable, tough, versatile, comfortable, brilliant at everything it does so who gives a stuff about DSG lag, a bent bit of trim or whether the VW bosses are a bunch of crooks. When called on to do a job it rewards in spades. Brilliant. Fabulous. Fantastic.

Thank you Albert.

My wife has just pointed out to me that we have only slept in our van once this year. My reply was, "so what!".

This hasn't been because we haven't wanted to but more a case of lack of opportunity. Our annual mileage is only 3250 in that vehicle but when we do use it we thoroughly enjoy it.

Do we get the prize for rank idleness in the camping department?

It's our family car. What other vehicle has the versatility of a Cali? I love that you can make a cuppa or bacon butty in it when you arrive somewhere. Also a night away means just pack doomed clothes and chuck them in the boot.

flip-flopped over the years.
Cali was daily driver for a while, then bought an old Toyota Yaris as a runaround.
Got fed up of Cali getting scratched in Supermarket car parks.
Yaris cost me £600 3 years ago, still going strong, never washed it, filthy old banger, love it.

My wife has just pointed out to me that we have only slept in our van once this year. My reply was, "so what!".

This hasn't been because we haven't wanted to but more a case of lack of opportunity. Our annual mileage is only 3250 in that vehicle but when we do use it we thoroughly enjoy it.

Do we get the prize for rank idleness in the camping department?
Mines been to more football grounds than campsites this year, I've just had one of those years where its been difficult to find the time to go away.

Mines been to more football grounds than campsites this year, I've just had one of those years where its been difficult to find the time to go away.
My ( 3 rd )last Cali was bought primarily to take us around the country watching my sons rugby 2 days a week. He is now 18 and plays only weekend rugby now and an apprenticeship so we decided to sell it in September. I have spent the last month on the VW configurator looking at a replacement, my wife is going mad as it will be our 4th Cali since 2016 !

I will retire aged 55 in 14 months and am worried that the ICE engined Cali will not be around then so possibly looking to buy another earlier than planned.

How do I use it ....

30th as an emergency long haul 370 mile long distance tourer, a job it does brilliantly.

31st as a soup kitchen and making lots of cups of tea for those mopping up (over 60 cups of tea made) ... and a rest vehicle, A job the Cali did brilliantly.

As an emergency hotel room parked behind the back of a local church in Rochdale, and of course the Cali is the best hotel room to have anywhere.

As a furniture removal vehicle, and what we packed into it was amazing.

As a shelter, warm, comforting, protecting, beautiful. The Cali at it's best.

As a late night long distance tourer getting me home last night.

Reliable, tough, versatile, comfortable, brilliant at everything it does so who gives a stuff about DSG lag, a bent bit of trim or whether the VW bosses are a bunch of crooks. When called on to do a job it rewards in spades. Brilliant. Fabulous. Fantastic.

Thank you Albert.
You are so eloquent and irreverent.

Love your posts,

I retired at 51. Best days work I ever did.
If you love what you do you never work a day in your life...... or so the saying goes.
I am glad to say this has been my mantra for most of my working life. That said, if I wasn't having to deal with the consequences of Brexit I would be retired now @59.
Good thing I still love my job, which gives me an incredible amount of satisfaction working on a cure for Type 1 diabetes, a disease that my daughter acquired 20 years ago at the age of 3.

Sadly the days of gilt edged final salary pensions are passed, and many more will have to work into their late 60's or even 70's. Interestingly I was reading an article recently about the number of people who've decided to retire during Covid, but are now being forced to return to work as they can't afford the cost of living increases....

If you love what you do you never work a day in your life...... or so the saying goes.
I am glad to say this has been my mantra for most of my working life. That said, if I wasn't having to deal with the consequences of Brexit I would be retired now @59.
Good thing I still love my job, which gives me an incredible amount of satisfaction working on a cure for Type 1 diabetes, a disease that my daughter acquired 20 years ago at the age of 3.
You and I have a lot in common.
Father died of cancer 29 years ago.
I work for an amazing company that designed a machine for companies that research & design therapeutic drugs…
Sorry for the thread hijack…

My ( 3 rd )last Cali was bought primarily to take us around the country watching my sons rugby 2 days a week. He is now 18 and plays only weekend rugby now and an apprenticeship so we decided to sell it in September. I have spent the last month on the VW configurator looking at a replacement, my wife is going mad as it will be our 4th Cali since 2016 !

I will retire aged 55 in 14 months and am worried that the ICE engined Cali will not be around then so possibly looking to buy another earlier than planned.

Only your 3rd?

Every time you turn up to check on my boiler you're in a different Cali :D

Only your 3rd?

Every time you turn up to check on my boiler you're in a different Cali :D
Ah Yes But !
Since 2008 I have also bought 4 Lwb Kombi, 1 panel van, 1 Caravelle Exec and the 3 Californias all of which very high spec, I can understand why my wife is not convinced this time around

Kev

Back