Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Another 24hr charging query

zinglefiffy

zinglefiffy

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hello knowledgeable folk,

Due to various factors (terraced house, high use, rubbish memory and lack of planning, etc) I've neglected to give the leisure battery in our Beach a full 24hr charge yet, so Ive decided to have a bit of a panic.

Does the much-mentioned 24hr charge literally need to be plugged in for a complete 24hrs? The van has rarely sat still for that long since we got it, and definitely not during the week when it does the school run and so on. Telling everyone we are stuck in for the day at weekend will probably result in some long faces. Paradoxically, I can plan my week so that the van is *only* used for the school run, which is about 10 minutes at a time, and so it could probably be plugged in for 24 hours with a couple of brief interruptions in charging. Is this reasonable?

One of the pleasures of getting older is wondering if what you're asking is a stupid question, but asking it anyway... :oops:

We don't hook up at home either, ours gets it top-up charge on hookup at the campsite.

If you drive it regularly you don't really have to worry, but if you can give it a charge its worth doing. ;)

I should charge mine (more) in winter when I use the aux heater for de-icing, or warming up the couple of m³ of cold air before getting to work.
That really drains the leisure batteries after 30 - 45 minutes of heating, and the 10 - 15 minutes drive doesn't charge the batteries enough. Luckily I don't have a Blue Motion technology, so the batteries start charging from start to stop.

Hello knowledgeable folk,

Due to various factors (terraced house, high use, rubbish memory and lack of planning, etc) I've neglected to give the leisure battery in our Beach a full 24hr charge yet, so Ive decided to have a bit of a panic.

Does the much-mentioned 24hr charge literally need to be plugged in for a complete 24hrs? The van has rarely sat still for that long since we got it, and definitely not during the week when it does the school run and so on. Telling everyone we are stuck in for the day at weekend will probably result in some long faces. Paradoxically, I can plan my week so that the van is *only* used for the school run, which is about 10 minutes at a time, and so it could probably be plugged in for 24 hours with a couple of brief interruptions in charging. Is this reasonable?

One of the pleasures of getting older is wondering if what you're asking is a stupid question, but asking it anyway... :oops:
12hrs once or twice a month is adequate or go camping with Hookup .

thanks for your replies everyone, very reassuring, and good advice as ever. I will calm down now :embarrased

It’s a ‘nice to do’. Your van won’t implode if it doesn’t happen.