Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Another DIY Multiflex alternative

OGII

OGII

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
My take on replacing the useless Multiflex in a 2 seat Beach.

20200122_103451.jpg

It uses 21mm Unistrut, the channelling often used by electricians etc.

It bolts together using captive nuts that you buy for Unistrut. If you can cut the lengths and bolt stuff together you can make it, no welding etc. needed.

The bottom rails use inverted channels (the U part is face down. For this I used some slotted channel (i.e. lots of precut holes).

The uprights are called cantilever arms, various sizes but I chose the one closest to Multiflex height 20200122_103512.jpg

The top channels are unslotted so they appear neater. They are fixed using 90 brackets. You can adjust the height slightly depending on where you place the brackets in the channel.

20200122_103534.jpg
As we usually use the bed "Ocean" width I made the frame so that part doesn't fold. This gives a useful storage platform even when bed is down and also means there is less distance for the board to span ( so stronger) On the top I've used industrial velcro to hold a section of board.
20200122_103544.jpg

The bed board is an Ikea desktop bought in the bargain corner for £10. It's a rough draft I'll change when I remember.

The whole unit is held down by 2 T nuts. Easily removed but ironically since making it I've had no need to remove it, the boot works so much better.

The new board is shorter than the original, the bed is now 6' foot long leaving more cabin space whether bed is up or down.
As you can see my silver screens, window vent etc now live between frame and bench.

The Unistrut system comes with various brackets, end caps etc. so very easy to make your own designs.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Back