Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Another month away in Europe….

KernowLad

Gone, but not forgotten!
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
A month (our house will be occupied… ;) ) away from 28th July just booked; well partly anyway!
Plymouth to Santander ferry booked there and back - NO route or anything else planned yet!
Still excited though - even this early, a lot of cabins were booked up!

Thinking SW France and N Spain, possibly Portugal but want to avoid total holiday carnage if possible. Surf useful but not essential, any recommendations welcome! Would consider Italy too but it's a bit drive; priorities are as few Brits as possible (and Germans and Dutch… ), a bit of culture, not too rammed, near either the sea or a big river we can swim in. Will book sites before we go.

Another unanswered thread, many unanswered posts.

Is it something I said? It's a bit strange, I've had almost zero response in recent months to the point where I hardly ever check this forum. A shame as it used to be pretty useful.

It still is for most of us!
You reap what you sow.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Freeley said:
It still is for most of us!
You reap what you sow.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

It's the people more than the forum :)

Indeed and with 4 Motion you can certainly access those fields to reap what you sow

Quore=As few Brits as possible (and Germans and Dutch… ) may have some bearing on lack of response

Calikev said:
Quore=As few Brits as possible (and Germans and Dutch… ) may have some bearing on lack of response

Why? We just don't like going to places with hordes of Brits. Same as many others.

It's fine - clearly I've "upset" a few members or something. I'll leave it. Cheerio and thanks for the help in the early days.

Martin/Kev - can you please remove my account and if possible all threads I've made.

Thanks.

I was going to suggest following Wellington, then moore,s retreat to corunna, then down the western coast of Spain.

Don't go, I 've enjoyed talking to you - even if I did miss getting my macbook charged up this afternoon ...... :cry:

KernowLad said:
Calikev said:

Why? We just don't like going to places with hordes of Brits. Same as many others.

It's fine - clearly I've "upset" a few members or something. I'll leave it. Cheerio and thanks for the help in the early days.

Martin/Kev - can you please remove my account and if possible all threads I've made.

Thanks.

Are you sure. let me know if you still feel the same tomorrow.

heard good reports on Guincho (Portugal) but that was from a fairly hardcore windsurfer and a few years back as well. Not sure if its any good for surfing as known as a high wind location. My only experience of that part of Europe is cycling in the Pyrenees which doesent really match your requirements. Prob that is more the reason for lack of response, few people on here have been to the coastal areas.
Further thought that there is a triathlon held down there that I've liked the look of, used to be Challenge Vitoria but seems to have changed umbrella organisation as this is the website now http://www.triathlonvitoria.com . Lake for swimming and close to Santander.

Kernowlad,

I was really looking forward to seeing responses to your original question, as we have booked Gijon return this summer with LD lines. :?

Maybe if you had a problem with a st"ear"ing knock :lol: , or paint bubbling up you might have got more responses.

I've had both problems - now sorted :headbang :thumb

Cheers Owen - I'll check them all out :thumb

Just read the post Kernowlad
Why leave the forum?
No answer is better than a bad answer
May be the question was really too general, or, like me, at the moment we don't have in mind a suggestion that satisfies all your desires.
Or may be we didn't have something to add to what have been said in the traveling section...
When I think of a trip in our Cali I always think "north" :) so last summer it was Scotland ...
I live quite close to Venice, you said it's too far for your trip, but if you need suggestions for this area, or better for the Dolomiti, I'll be happy to help you.
Sorry if my English is not very good.

P.S. like you, When possible I tend to avoid places full of Italian tourists...

Going for three weeks ourselves and heading to the Alps. France, Germany, Austria, Italy, France and back is the rough plan. Will go Dover - Calais but can see why you would use a south coast port coming from Cornwall.
Are you packing bikes as well as boards?

This is the road trip that we would like to do, but cannot take a month off in one go due to work commitments, we would drive through Northern Spain, Cantabria ,Asturias and Galicia and then drop down into the Minho Portugal via Tui a very pleasant small Spanish town . Great food, culture ,markets and locals not many tourists except perhaps some motorhomes etc oh and good coastline lots of surf ,have a good one best regards :mrgreen:

KernowLad said:
priorities are as few Brits as possible (and Germans and Dutch… ), a bit of culture, not too rammed, near either the sea or a big river we can swim in. Will book sites before we go.

I can recommend you places in Poland with no Brits, Dutch or Germans, guaranteed (or cash refund :upsidedown ) !

Gas gas; that sounds very nice!

We'd love to do a bit of France again; we love the place and speak French (and want to teach our kids a bit too) but mindful that it gets VERY busy in August!

Anyone know if Spain and Portugal are a bit less mad in the silly season?

Our five week trip last year was the best holiday we've ever had by miles but was mostly in June; good weather but not too busy. Now our boy is at school, we have to join the masses!

Strangely the return ferry trip with the van and a four berth outside cabin both ways in the peakest of peak season is LESS than Ryanair flights to Lanzarote in Feb half term; madness!!!

Northern Spain is where the Spanish tend to holiday but not very busy and Northern Portugal is always quiet even in peak season . I can also recommend in France Biaritz just around the corner from Santander ,quite busy with French tourist etc but good camping ,stylish and great surf.

We did a fair stint near Hossegor, Biarritz and St Jean de Luz last year ( plus the Ardeche and Northern Spain) and loved it but I reckon it might be a bit mad in August! We stayed at Pavillion Royale in Ibarritx for five nights (our longest stay) and couldn't fault it; great waves, almost it's own beach, excellent on site restaurant; might book a few nights soon!

I've been to Ericeira in Portugal twice but flown; lovely place but quite a drive (we have a 5 and a 3 year old!). Keen to try a bit more Portugal so that might be a possible.

Going East, our mates parents have a lovely mountain place in Bobbio, N Italy; also tempting!

Loving some of the ideas here; cheers!

We travelled last year from Santander to Malaga and back. I know it's probably too far south, which is why i didnt post.
but we enjoyed a great site at caceres. Also the free stopover In The town was excellent. Easy walk up to the town. Salamanca was fabulous, and the plaza mayor attracted us for 2days. Palancia was a nice gown centre too. Tapas lunches mmmmm..... . It's was an easy drive to Portugal but we didn't go.

Don't leave..... :hello

I think we have a very rough route planned now…!

Do a bit of the North coast of Spain and stay in Santiago, South to Portugal, spend a few days in the Porto area, head a bit further South then back up to Spain, a bit of SW France then back to Spain again. A sort of big triangle.

It's a while so fe I've been down that way, but if my memory serves me correctly I'd try and stay away from the main route between Salamanca and Villa Formosa and then onto the IP4 towards Lisbon as this is the main route to Portugal for the heavies :D

Alasdair

I was in the north west corner of Spain a few years ago with work, some great surfing spots around Ferrol. It seemed used more by the locals and very few tourists around.

We're leaving Kernow the day before you - crossing Plymouth Roscoff (decided against Santander due to daughter being bad at boat travel!) - 5 weeks touring around before returning on the same ferry route and driving back down here!

No idea how much is feasible (we don't want to be driving long distances at a time) but we're planning on heading to Morzine to visit my sister, then maybe down into Northern Italy, across the South of France, possibly North of Spain then back up the West Coast of France checking out as many beach breaks as possible :D

Hoping its not going to be too hideously hot in the van, and that we will be able to get parked up without too much trouble and booking ahead.

We did 5 weeks in a tent travelling around Europe 5 yrs ago - but did Northern France, Belgium, Holland and Germany then - hence heading south this time (plus we've since got into surfing lol).

How did you find it travelling around in previous journeys?
:)

Callena - I think I typed a long reply but can't find it…!

We're slightly undecided whether to head West for NW Spain then Portugal (plenty of surf, shouldn't be stupidly hot, not been that way) or East towards Provence/The Alps/N Italy (know it fairly well, speak French, etc but can get VERY hot and busy)?!

I think we might head West, do a bit of NW Spain, dip into Portugal then ping back up to SW France for the last week. Maybe :lol:

Could recommend Slovenia, Czech, Austria, Croatia, Lake Garda, and the obvious South of France near St Tropez and Ste Maxime if you want a different destination than already planned. Out of the above Czech is where I go to see my inlaws but Slovenia would be my preference followed by Croatia which you could do both in one go and then the Italian Lakes on the way back up.

cheers

Back