Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Another new steering column

Mine was knocking .. Been to smg now its lush :) ...tightened up and lubricated

Ouch!

Stu - you are on your second failure? Is this common?

Assuming this repair is covered by an extended warranty - this definitely makes the warranty worth considering if they tend to fail multiple times!

To be honest mate I'm not sure it's what you might call a failure but a design issue that VW may decide to call a feature :laugh2

I'm lead to believe it's caused by the sliding part of the column not sliding as it should and gripping before suddenly releasing which is what causes the 'thud' or 'knock'. I'm also told it is a feature of the Crafter for which the fix is to apply some grease.

Alex will likely know more.

I think Stu is on the money with his diagnosis of what happens.

The only thing that we have noticed here is that more often than not, we get this complaint on vehicles that have stood for a while and not been used.

cheers

I think I may also have read something similar about a fix being to inject grease in rather than replace the full column. Certainly can be a somewhat annoying knock/clunk, but if its not causing damage not the end of the world :thanks

smgcowfold said:
The only thing that we have noticed here is that more often than not, we get this complaint on vehicles that have stood for a while and not been used.

cheers

That certainly stands true for when I most notice it Alex.

Mine had stood still for about 3 months whilst I was out of the country and I took it to the local German dealer and couldn't replicate the fault as intermittent so he just shrugged at me and said sorry cant find the problem so cant fix it. Question is will this deteriorate and is it dangerous as just about to drive back to UK with a caravan on the back.

Back