Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Another newcomer!!

787driver

787driver

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi all. I’m in the market for a used VW campervan. I’ve been looking at a conversion by LKW in Oxford which seem pretty good for the money. I’m going to look at a Cali ocean over the next couple of days. Anything in particular I should look out for? Looking to buy one either late T5 or early T6. It’ll be used once a week to drive to London from Devon. Stop overnight and return back to Devon. Apart from that it’ll be used for trips , both day and overnight, down to Cornwall with our 2 border collies. I’ll also take it to Europe ( if they let us in!!) once or twice a year for a week or so. I’m inclined towards automatic if possible. The M25 kills your left foot!!
Thanks in advance

I looked at camper king vans before I got my beach. I found the headroom over the rear seat really low, maybe not an issue if you don’t plan to have rear seat passengers?

it’s definitely worth looking at a few different conversions and the California to see what you prefer. We started off looking at converting a van but realised eventually that a beach (California without a kitchen/wardrobe) offered the best value for us. Good luck with the search!

Thanks. I’ll need the kitchen. I’m 6’2” so will check that out again. Any feedback/reviews on LKW?

Besides the obvious Campervan conversion one big difference in Californias is that they have more sound insulation and general comfort than a converted van. Noticeable on longer trips. Upper bed can only be a board with minimal mattress support.

DVLA no longer reclassify vans as 'Motor Caravans' or change the Taxation Class, so check it out as you may find that it is still classified as a Commercial Vehicle with the relevant speed restrictions, 50 on Single carriageways, 60 on Dual carriageways and 70 on Motorways only. All in the V5 document.

Last edited:
one big difference in Californias is that they have more insulation and general comfort than a converted van.
This may mislead the OP. Cali's have zero insulation against heat loss other than what you see (the panels) but many have the parking heater which has plenty of capacity.
Most conversions tend to be thermally insulated... Weather that is a good long strategy is up for debate.

I think you may be referring to the extra sound proofing measures (double door seals, deadening behind the dash etc) giving a more car like experience vs a bare van.

Ok. I had a look at a couple of calis today. One used (2018) with 12000 miles, the other new with a lower spec. The main dealer was really informative. The new one was great and cheapish too as the new model is coming out soon (56k!). The used about £3k cheaper but more expensive on a monthly repayment. I’m about to start looking into finance plans ( up to 10 years) Any advice re lenders against the van? There are some great used calis on this site with higher mileage though at half the price. Private finance on private purchases? Any advice much appreciated