Another Scam warning

Meoncoast

Meoncoast

an Ocean by the Sea
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Thought I would share this new (to me) Phone scam. from 01751898569. I had not heard of this one before.

Automated call on landline claimed from BT. "Your BT phone & Broadband service is due to be disconnected today. Press 1 to confirm Press 2 if this is not correct."

Contacted BT known fishing scam to get Bank details. Interestingly we had BT Outreach repair our line yesterday.

An elderly neighbour was called by someone pretending to be BT Openreach who told her her computer email was showing errors and offered a refund but it was stopped in time when help arrived. The bank security advised that if signed up for on-line banking NEVER have the user name and password saved but have to log in every time. If they gain access to your computer the more awkward the better. It also seems foreign fraudsters can use UK dialling code numbers from abroad which might make some seem legit. Personally I hang up on all unsolicited calls and delete similar emails using Mailwasher.

The problem with automated calls is you can not tell them to F off. The only way I stopped accident claims calls a couple of years ago was to be abusive.

Just tell them you are recording the call for litigation purposes and that Software is backtracking the call as you speak. They always seem to hangup very quickly.

They might not all be scams….. For instance, i had an email from
a Nigerian prince who had a massive problem with some of his wealth.

He wants to park 15mill in one of my accounts and has very generously
offered me 40 % when i do it.

I feel so lucky.

I've sent him the 800€ he needs to get the paperwork in order.
I know that i will have to declare my 6mill to the taxman ( I'm not that stupid )
I can't wait, i might start my spending spree on a Cadac safari and a club sticker.

My late mother became a victim of one of those telephone scams promising money initially and despite all family attempts to put her wise to the scam she refused to believe that the caller was anything but honest and kept finding ways to send money to help his 'family in need'.

I've just been selected to share in a 'Lottery winners' multimillion pot and only need to send him my Bank details to get the transfer done :agreed

I have a phone with caller ID and work on the principal that if if I don't know who it is I probably don't want to speak to them.

I have a phone with caller ID and work on the principal that if if I don't know who it is I probably don't want to speak to them.
Have caller ID also and just let the answerphone take over and surprising how many just cut off or get what is obviously a recorded call. International, withheld number, and UK looking numbers seem to run in repeating weekly cycles.
Ones that get answered get quite upset when I refuse to confirm who I am or any personal details.

I think it's very nice of them to ring me and ask about my accident that I even had yet! It shows a very caring side!! :talktothehand

I think it's very nice of them to ring me and ask about my accident that I even had yet! It shows a very caring side!! :talktothehand
Heard one story of that where the recipient went along with scam caller and when asked what injury resulted replied 'Oh I died' there was silence then the line went dead.

We use a BT Call Guardian phone. If the number is not on the white list then the phone answers the call internally and makes the caller identify themselves, then the phone rings, the number flashes up and that it is an announced call, you listen to who it is and decided if you want to talk them by pressing a button or just hang up.

Not had a nuisance call since we put it in about 2 years ago. If someone really wants to talk to you they say who they are and wait.

The problem with automated calls is you can not tell them to F off. The only way I stopped accident claims calls a couple of years ago was to be abusive.

I have a story rehearsed about an incident with an unidentified flying object.
Really build it up. Lasts a good 10-15 mins before they usually hang up and never ever call back...

I know, it’s childish. But I didn’t ask them to phone me.
Yes I can be a real douche bag :Grin

yes I had that auto message yesterday...
felt cheated out of winding up the person on the phone by pretending to be deaf..is that Susan? or using the handy whistle....

I've seen lots of ideas for dealing with scam callers - sorry really that we don't get them so that I could try them out!
We're ex-directory and registered with the TPS (Telephone preference Service) and I think we've had about 2 scam calls in 10 years.
I never give the landline number for online purchases, just my mobile.

Back