Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Any amateur radio or CB folks in Calis?

Maybe of interest to Amateur radio folks, recent ISS voice comms on 2m band.

They've also been sending SSTV transmissions from orbit this week, pretty fascinating stuff.

Hi, I am not long back from spending 5 weeks in France, I went all the way down to the Mediterranean, a 2800 mile round trip from Aberdeenshire.

I was operational on Hf and VHF, and managed to have a QSO most days back to the home QTH on 40.

VHF I found to be very quiet and I had no contacts at all, even when calling iCQ in French.

Equipment. Yaesu 991A feeding a super antenna for HF, working of leisure batteries
And mains when on hookup via the batteries.

The rig needs a 23 amp supply when running 100 watts, I have installed a 25 Amp circuit from the battery under the passenger seat, works well

De GM0CQV

Ive managed to get some 3d printed brackets for my 857, so getting closer to getting a mobile setup. Main radio under drivers seat, extension to dash for panel. Pondering coax same place a solar connection would go.

Ive managed to get some 3d printed brackets for my 857, so getting closer to getting a mobile setup. Main radio under drivers seat, extension to dash for panel. Pondering coax same place a solar connection would go.
Any photos of your brackets please Matt, I have an 857.

I got one of these printed:

There are quite a few things available: https://www.thingiverse.com/search?q=857d&dwh=935db173a5442c9
Good stuff, I do have the yaesu one, but not really found an ideal spot to mount it, dont want to start drilling holes in a fairly new van at the mo, used some 3M super strong velcro type stuff in my old landy which was really good.

Just in the process of doing my foundation course and have my exam in a couple of weeks.

Wondering if we have any amateur radio enthusiasts in the Cali club. :)

Matt.
Yes me, GM0CQV, work HF and digital from my Cali

good luck with you foundation

I've ordered two of those from the club shop, lets see what I can do with them
After seeing the attachments I dont think they are strong enough to hold any significant antenna. Back to the drawing board.

Good stuff, I do have the yaesu one, but not really found an ideal spot to mount it, dont want to start drilling holes in a fairly new van at the mo, used some 3M super strong velcro type stuff in my old landy which was really good.
i am just going to use a grip style phone holder that clips into the air vent for mine.

Congratulations to @Martin for passing his foundation license exam (as well as his friends passing too not sure if any of them are on here?), more HAMS with Vans :D

Last edited:
Thanks Colin and Matt, the hobby is turning out to be nearly as expensive as having a Cali lol

Hi, I have one of these antennas, but have not tried it on my Cali yet, who is it working out for you?
can you raise the roof wit it still attached ?

cheers

forgot to ask, do you run a separate Earth wire to the fixing ?

Yes I’ve grounded the mount, it tunes through the bands, roof should go up as there is clearance not tried any QSO’s yet wanted to make sure I could get an antenna system working before I mount the radio more permanent got to get a duplexer so I can run vhf uhf of the same twig. Only taken two years to get this far

Yes I’ve grounded the mount, it tunes through the bands, roof should go up as there is clearance not tried any QSO’s yet wanted to make sure I could get an antenna system working before I mount the radio more permanent got to get a duplexer so I can run vhf uhf of the same twig. Only taken two years to get this far
Many thanks, I have been using my FT 991 A. In portable mode with external antenna, and just setting the radio up as and when require.
I draw power from the Leisure batteries. 25 amps, had to fit a new outlet for that power

I do not intend going/M as I need to keep focused on my driving

cheers

Oh I see you take coax in via the rubber seal on the tail door, just a point for you
I had a drip drip leak Caused just by fir tree needles along the top9of the seal

do you take cables down the side then enter the cabin area ?

That's very interesting. I am back into CB after 25 years and having a lot of QSO's over here. I'm not qualified for the licence but wondering about it - maybe do the UK version while it can be done remotely - the Swiss costs about £100 per year to keep registered!
So far I've only put a Wilson Lil Wil on the Cali and had to mount it on the top of the boot door, which is no good when the roof is up.

Did you make that bracket, or do you know of anything available that would work? Thanks!

Our licence's for Amateur radio, PMR, CB, Ships Radio are now free for life all you need to do is update your registration at 5 years, no doubt someone will correct me if I am wrong but that is the gist of it. Yes I have fabricated the mount myself.

Our licence's for Amateur radio, PMR, CB, Ships Radio are now free for life all you need to do is update your registration at 5 years, no doubt someone will correct me if I am wrong but that is the gist of it. Yes I have fabricated the mount myself.
Thanks, yes this was my understanding too (I'm also on a couple of UK DX forums but they have much less traffic - maybe because folks on there use the radio to talk and not the computer!? :rolleyes:)
I do have a UK address, but it would mean I cannot actually use the licence abroad for any length of time without transferring it and then incurring the annual fee... But still, to get qualified seems like a good idea to me in the long run. :thumb